Heldens in 2015
|Birth name||Olivier J. L. Heldens|
|Also known as||HI-LO|
|Born||1 February 1995|
|Genres||Big room house, electro house, future house, deep house, tech house, progressive house|
Olivier J. L. Heldens (born 1 February 1995) is a Dutch DJ and electronic music producer from Rotterdam. He is regarded as a pioneer of the future house genre propelling it to international attention and chart successes including "Gecko (Overdrive)", "Last All Night (Koala)", "The Right Song", "Fire in My Soul" and "Turn Me On". He also produces bass house songs under the alias HI-LO, which comes from "Oli H" in reversed form, and runs the label Heldeep Records. Through December 2019, he is the 346th most streamed artist on Spotify, with over a billion cumulative streams.
2013–2014: debut and "Gecko" breakthrough
Heldens began his professional music career when he signed to Spinnin' Records in 2013. His first releases on the label included the songs "Stinger" and "Thumper", which features DJ Jacob van Hage. Heldens' 2013 song "Gecko" caught the attention of fellow Dutch DJ Tiësto, who signed the song to his label, Musical Freedom, and later released a vocal version through Warner Music Group's FFRR with British singer Becky Hill on 23 June 2014 as "Gecko (Overdrive)". The song peaked at number 1 on the UK Top 40 chart in June 2014, was named "Essential New Tune" by BBC's Pete Tong on 31 January 2014, and DJs including David Guetta, Martin Garrix, and Zedd began supporting it.
In January 2014, Heldens launched his Heldeep Mixtape on his official SoundCloud page, creating extended mixes which incorporate various genres of electronic music including different types of deep house and tech house. The first mixtape included his remix of fellow Spinnin' Records signee Martin Garrix's "Animals". In March 2014, Heldens also released a remix of Robin Thicke's "Feel Good".
Heldens entered the DJ Mag Top 100 of 2014, making his debut at number 34. In December 2014, he performed an Essential Mix on BBC Radio 1, and British radio DJ Pete Tong named him "one of the breakthrough producers of the year". Heldens released "Koala" on Spinnin' in August 2014, and on 6 October 2014 he released "This" with Sander van Doorn. "Koala" became the second-most popular searched dance recording from the 2014 Amsterdam Dance Event on music recognition app Shazam. He achieved 12th place in the DJ Mag Top 100 2015, making him the highest ranked house DJ on the list. In a Billboard interview at Tomorrowland, Heldens described his style as deep house while acknowledging the mainstream influences in his music.
On 17 December 2015 BBC Radio 1 announced that Heldens was to have a residency show starting on 22 January 2016. Since then, Heldens has played a 1-hour Radio 1 slot on the third Thursday of every month.
2015–2016: HI-LO and Heldeep Records
In July 2015, the HI-LO song "Renegade Mastah" was the first track to be released on Heldens' new label Heldeep Records. In a later interview with the UKF blog, it was revealed that HI-LO was Heldens, who used the label to launch the HI-LO project. HI-LO has been called a deeper underground sound than Heldens' work under his own name. The title of the HI-LO project was chosen as a palindrome for Oli-H, to signify his name. The HI-LO tracks "Crank It Up", "Wappy Flirt" and "Ooh La La" followed, with the single "Scrub the Ground" by Chocolate Puma and Tommie Sunshine released on Heldeep Records in October 2015.
Heldens launched Heldeep Records in 2015 to create a platform to showcase the music of budding producers. Heldeep would grow from a small imprint to a fully-fledged label, signing artists including Alok, Chocolate Puma, and Dada Life. The label has hosted stages at festivals including Tomorrowland, Mysteryland, SW4, Electric Forest, Spring Awakening, Sunrise Festival, Imagine Festival, Black Sheep Festival, and label nights during Miami Music Week and Amsterdam Dance Event.
Heldeep Talent EP was released 23 November 2015 and included the songs "I Can't Stop" by Death Ray Shake, "Hookah" by Bojac, "Slip Away" by Niko The Kid and "Fall Under Skies" by Jonas Aden & Robby East. Since then Oliver released "Heldeep Talent EP Part 2" on 21 March 2016 Featuring three tracks: "Get Busy" by Steff Da Campo, "Lethal" by NOVKA and "Mirrors feat. Stevyn by Tom Budin and Stevyn.
"Waiting", an Oliver Heldens and Throttle collaboration, was released on Heldeep Records on 7 January 2016. Heldeep released a track by Mr. Belt & Wezol and Shermanology called "Hide & Seek" as well as another track by Bougenvilla & Out Of Cookies called "Break It Down" on 25 April 2016. The label also released "Space Sheep," a collaboration between Heldens and Chocolate Puma on 2 May 2016.
2017–present: "Turn Me On" and other singles
In 2017, Heldens released the single "Ibiza 77". In 2018, he signed to RCA Records. His 2018 single "Fire in My Soul" features vocals from singer Shungduzo and was co-produced with Oak Felder. It reached number 1 on the Billboard Dance Club Songs chart, and number 18 on the Hot Dance/Electronic Songs chart. Also that year, he released a remix of Chic's "Le Freak" on Atlantic Records, to commemorate the 40th anniversary of Atlantic Records' all-time best selling song. In 2018, he partnered with the Plastic Soup Foundation as their new ambassador, to help eliminate ocean pollution.
His 2019 single "Turn Me On" with DJ Riton and singer Vula peaked at number 10 on the Global Shazam Top 200 chart, number 12 on the UK Top 40 chart, number 1 on the MediaBase Dance Radio chart, number 1 on the Billboard Dance/Mix Show Airplay chart, and number 5 on the Dance Club Songs chart. For the single, he and Riton sampled the 1982 song "Don't Go" by Yazoo. Also in 2019, Heldens released "Lift Me Up", a collaboration with Firebeatz and producer Schella, with vocals from Carla Monroe, collaborated with Nile Rodgers of Chic and Devin on "Summer Lover" and released the single "Cucumba" with Moguai.
As a remixer, Heldens has released remixes for artists including Calvin Harris and Dua Lipa's "One Kiss", David Guetta and Anne-Marie's "Don't Leave Me Alone", The Chainsmokers' "All We Know", Katy Perry's "Chained to the Rhythm", Calvin Harris and Ellie Goulding's "Outside", and Charlie Puth's "Attention".
In 2019, Heldens commemorated the fifth anniversary of his label Heldeep and 250th episode of his weekly radio show Heldeep Radio, which is syndicated in 65 countries, broadcast on over 90 stations and reaches over 118 million people a week, with the Heldeep 5 World Tour, taking Heldens and friends across North America, Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Europe, Indonesia, Japan, and South Korea.
Heldens is managed by Dave Frank, Alex Harrow and Lucas Keller at Milk & Honey, signed to RCA Records / Sony, and Heldeep Records. He's published by Universal Music Publishing for the world.
Heldens has performed at festivals and venues including Coachella, Glastonbury, Lollapalooza, Electric Daisy Carnival, Ultra, Tomorrowland, Electric Zoo, Creamfields, Veld Music Festival, Stereosonic, Djakarta Warehouse Project, Sensation, Brooklyn Mirage, Echostage, Fabric, Governors Island, LIV, Printworks, and Red Rocks. He has held residencies at clubs in Las Vegas and Ibiza including Hakkasan, Omnia, Wet Republic, Marquee, HÏ, Ushuaïa and Pacha.
Awards and nominations
|2016||Style Icon Asia||Iconic Global Producer of the Year||Himself||Won|
DJ Magazine Top 100 DJ
- Gilmore, Grant (July 17, 2017). "Featured Interview: Oliver Heldens". EDM Identity.
- "Oliver Heldens: Why I became HI-LO". UKF. July 29, 2015. Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- "About Oliver Heldens". Spotify. Retrieved December 23, 2019.
- Papadatos, Marcos (August 3, 2018). "This EDM star partners with foundation to stop ocean pollution". Digital Journal.
- "This Week's Fresh Music Top 20". Internet. May 30, 2014. 4Music.
- "Oliver Heldens X Becky Hill – 'Gecko (Overdrive)' (Official Video) Video". Capital Xtra. May 20, 2014. Retrieved May 30, 2014.
- Matt Medved (October 6, 2014). "Oliver Heldens Talks Deep House & Defying Genres at TomorrowWorld". Billboard. Retrieved October 11, 2015.
- Pete Tong (December 6, 2014). "BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix "Oliver Heldens"" (Podcast). BBC. Event occurs at 04:00. Retrieved October 11, 2015.
- "These Were The Top 10 Shazam-ed Tracks During ADE". Beatport Buzz. October 22, 2014. Retrieved October 11, 2015.
- "Radio 1 Residency". BBC Radio 1. December 17, 2015. Retrieved June 9, 2016.
- Narozniak, Rachel (March 10, 2019). "Oliver Heldens celebrates fifth anniversary of Heldeep Records with The Heldeep 5 Tour". Dancing Astronaut.
- "Oliver Heldens' Heldeep imprint is ready to take over Amsterdam Dance Event". Groove Cartel. September 17, 2019.
- "Steff Da Campo, NOVKA, Tom Budin, Stevyn New Releases: HELDEEP Talent EP Part 2 on Beatport". pro.beatport.com. Retrieved April 22, 2016.
- Bein, Kat (October 26, 2018). "Oliver Heldens Signs to RCA, Sets a 'Fire in My Soul' With Shungudzo". Billboard.
- "Chart History Oliver Heldens: Dance Club Songs". billboard.com. Billboard. Retrieved December 23, 2019.
- "Chart History Oliver Heldens: Dance/Electronic Songs". billboard.com. Billboard. Retrieved December 23, 2019.
- Bein, Kat (November 16, 2018). "Oliver Heldens Gives Chic's 'Le Freak' a Modern Twist". Billboard.
- Arena, James (2016). Legends of Disco: Forty Stars Discuss Their Careers. p. 23. ISBN 9781476664965.
- "Riton & Oliver Heldens". officialcharts.com. Retrieved December 23, 2019.
- "Chart History Oliver Heldens: Dance Mix Show Airplay". billboard.com. Billboard. Retrieved December 23, 2019.
- Bein, Kat (September 12, 2019). "Oliver Heldens & Riton Sample Yazoo Classic For 'Turn Me On'". Billboard.
- Yi, Benjamin (November 17, 2019). "Oliver Heldens and Firebeatz present ideal shuffling soundtrack, 'Lift Me Up'". Dancing Astronaut.
- "Summer Love". edm.com. April 12, 2019.
- Little, Noah (May 20, 2019). "Oliver Heldens Interview: Inspirations, Not Burning Out + More!". Cultr.
- "OLIVER HELDENS PROVES TO US "ONE KISS" IS ALL IT TAKES". edm.com. Retrieved December 23, 2019.
- "OLIVER HELDENS DELIVERS BRILLIANT REMIX OF DAVID GUETTA'S – "DON'T LEAVE ME ALONE"". edmsauce.com. Retrieved December 23, 2019.
- "LISTEN TO OLIVER HELDENS REWORK THE CHAINSMOKERS' 'ALL WE KNOW FEAT. PHOEBE RYAN'". djmag.com. Retrieved December 23, 2019.
- "WE'RE "CHAINED TO THE RHYTHM" OF OLIVER HELDENS' LATEST REMIX". edmsauce.com. Retrieved December 23, 2019.
- "Oliver Heldens Remixes Calvin Harris". edmchicago.com. Retrieved December 23, 2019.
- "Charlie Puth's "Attention" Gets An Oliver Heldens Remix". idolator.com. Retrieved December 23, 2019.
- "Oliver Heldens celebrates fifth anniversary of Heldeep Records with The Heldeep 5 Tour". Dancing Astronaut. March 10, 2019.
- "OLIVER HELDENS ANNOUNCES MASSIVE "HELDEEP 5" TOUR THROUGH NORTH AMERICA". EDM Sauce. January 10, 2019.
- "Oliver Heldens dishes bouncy house hits in Heldeep Radio ahead of Djakarta Warehouse Project performance". Dancing Astronaut. December 12, 2019.