Hirschbiegel at the Berlinale 2017
29 December 1957|
Life and career
Hirschbiegel was born in Hamburg, Germany. A Waldorf graduate, Hirschbiegel studied painting and graphic arts, later film, at the Hamburg University of Fine Arts. In 1986, he directed his first film, the made-for-TV movie Das Go! Projekt, the script for which he had written himself. He became a successful TV director, directing numerous episodes of the Tatort and Kommissar Rex series. His first theatrical release was the well-received movie Das Experiment.
In 2004, he attracted world-wide attention with the film Der Untergang (released in English-speaking countries as Downfall), produced by Bernd Eichinger. It recounts Adolf Hitler's last days, and sparked an extensive debate in Germany over the portrayal of Nazi leaders. The film was a critical and commercial success, winning numerous awards and a nomination for the Academy Award for the best foreign film. One scene from the film has become the basis for a widespread viral video phenomenon.
Oliver's brother Urs is an assistant director and producer.
- Das Experiment (2001)
- Downfall (2004)
- Ein ganz gewöhnlicher Jude (2005)
- The Invasion (2007)
- Five Minutes of Heaven (2009)
- Diana (2013)
- 13 Minutes (2015)
- 1998 RTL Golden Lion Awards, Best Direction of a TV Film or Series for "Das Urteil" and "Trickser
- 1998 Adolf Grimme Awards, Audience Award of the 'Marl Group' for Das Urteil
- 1999 Bavarian Film Awards for Directing Todfeinde - Die falsche Entscheidung
- 2001 Bergen International Film Festival Audience Award for "Das Experiment"
- 2001 Bavarian Film Awards, Best Direction for Das Experiment
- 2001 Montréal World Film Festival Best Director, "Das Experiment"
- 2002 Istanbul International Film Festival, People's Choice Award, "Das Experiment"
- 2004 Bambi Awards Film - National, "Der Untergang"
- 2005 Bavarian Film Awards Audience Award for "Der Untergang"
- 2005 Amanda Awards Best Foreign Feature Film (Årets utenlandske kinofilm), "Der Untergang"
- 2006 Bodil Awards Best Non-American Film (Bedste ikke-amerikanske film), "Der Untergang"
- 2006 Fajr International Film Festival International Competition - Best Technical or Artistic Achievement, "Der Untergang"
- 2006 Robert Award Best Non-American Film (Årets ikke-amerikanske film), "Der Untergang"
- 2009 Prix Europa Special Commendation - TV Fiction "Five Minutes of Heaven"
- 2009 Sundance Film Festival Directing Award, World Cinema, Dramatic - "Five Minutes of Heaven"
- 1998 Adolf Grimme Awards Adolf Grimme Award, Fiction/Entertainment - "Das Urteil"
- 2001 European Film Awards Audience Award, Best Director, "Das Experiment"
- 2002 Fantasporto International Fantasy Film Award, Best Film, "Das Experiment"
- 2003 Paris Film Festival Grand Prix, "Das Experiment"
- 2005 Mar del Plata Film Festival Best Film, "Der Untergang"
- 2005 Academy Awards Best Foreign Language Film of the Year
- 2006 Goya Awards Best European Film (Mejor Película Europea), "Der Untergang"
- 2006 Argentinean Film Critics Association Awards Best Foreign Film, Not in the Spanish Language (Mejor Película Extranjera), "Der Untergang"
- 2009 Sundance Film Festival Grand Jury Prize, World Cinema - Dramatic, "Five Minutes of Heaven"
- 2010 Broadcasting Press Guild Awards Broadcasting Press Guild Award, Best Single Drama - "Five Minutes of Heaven"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oliver Hirschbiegel.|