Life and career
He graduated from the University of Cape Town in 1970 with a degree in psychology and from the National Film and Television School (NFTS) UK while working in South Africa (from 1966 to 1974) and England.
One of his first efforts was the student film Shadowplay, a film about South African immigrants trying to adjust to life in London, which he wrote, directed, and edited. He progressed to filming music videos and commercials. He worked with many famous bands in the early-to-mid 80s, including a-ha, David Bowie, The Rolling Stones, Eddy Grant and The Human League.
- 1986 – won MTV Video Music Award for Best Cinematography for "The Sun Always Shines on T.V." by a-ha.
- nominated for ACE Award for Danny, the Champion of the World.
- 1990 – nominated for Independent Spirit Award for Best Cinematography for Earth Girls Are Easy.
- 2001 – nominated for Camerimage Golden Frog for Buffalo Soldiers.
- 2003 – nominated for AFI Award for Ned Kelly.
|1993||The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles||Peking, March 1910|
|1989||Danny the Champion of the World#television film||Danny the Champion of the World#TV Movie|
|1988||The Comic Strip Presents||Mr. Jolly Lives Next Door; Private Enterprise; Consuela, or, the New Mrs. Saunders; Slags; Eddie Monsoon, a Life, Bad News Tour.|
|1981||The Comic Strip|
- Official website
- Oliver Stapleton at the Internet Movie Database
- Stapleton's page on the Internet Encyclopedia of Cinematographers
|This article about a cinematographer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|