|Bishop of Bristol|
|Diocese||Diocese of Bristol|
|Term ended||1975 (retirement)|
|Other posts||Canon at Lincoln Cathedral (1952–1959)|
Warden of Lincoln Theological College (1945–1952)
|Born||9 June 1908|
|Died||29 October 1992(aged 84)|
|Parents||Revd Leopold Tomkins|
|Alma mater||Christ's College, Cambridge|
Early life and education
He was made a deacon on Michaelmas 1935 (29 September) and ordained a priest the Michaelmas following (20 September 1936) — both times by Henry Wilson, Bishop of Chelmsford, at Chelmsford Cathedral, after which he was assistant curate of St Mary, Prittlewell. From 1940 to 1945, he was vicar of Holy Trinity, Millhouses. In 1945, he became Secretary of the World Council of Churches. In 1952 he was appointed Warden of Lincoln Theological College and a Canon at Lincoln Cathedral.
Tomkins was appointed to the episcopate in 1959 as the Bishop of Bristol and consecrated a bishop on 6 January 1959, by Geoffrey Fisher, Archbishop of Canterbury, at Westminster Abbey; a post he held for 16 years until his retirement on 1 October 1975.
Tomkins was also an eminent author. His works included:
- The Universal Church in God's Design (1948)
- The Wholeness of the Church (1949)
- The Church in the Purpose of God (1950)
- Intercommunion (1951)
- Life of E. S. Woods, Bishop of Lichfield (1957)
- A Time for Unity (1964)
- Guarded by Faith (1971)
- Prayer for Unity (1987)
- Who's Who 2008: London, A & C Black ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- "Ordinations". Church Times (#3793). 4 October 1935. p. 371. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 16 October 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.
- "Ordinations". Church Times (#3844). 25 September 1936. p. 344. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 16 October 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.
- Church web-site
- The Times, Thursday, Aug 14, 1958; pg. 8; Issue 54229; col C Bishopric Of Bristol Dr. O. S. Tomkins Nominated
- "Two bishops consecrated". Church Times (#5004). 9 January 1959. p. 7. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 16 October 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.
- "A scholar is chosen for Bristol". Church Times (#5871). 22 August 1975. p. 1. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 24 January 2017 – via UK Press Online archives.
- British Library web site (accessed 19:25 GMT Sunday 6 December 2009)
|Church of England titles|
| Bishop of Bristol
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|