Olivia Giovetti (sometimes Olivia Marlowe-Giovetti) is an American author, journalist, music critic and radio personality. She was known as the host of The New Canon, a weekly show as part of the programming for Q2 Music, an affiliate of WQXR-FM in New York. Giovetti has also appeared on-air for WQXR proper and writes for the station's website. Her work with The New Canon has made her a prominent figure within the contemporary classical scene in New York, bringing composers like David Lang, David T. Little, Steven Mackey, and John Luther Adams to wider audiences with interactive interviews. Her work with the station has been featured in notable media publications, including New York magazine, NPR, and Alex Ross's blog "The Rest is Noise."
She gained added notoriety in 2012 after a blog post, critical of the Metropolitan Opera's new production of Der Ring des Nibelungen and the company's General Manager, Peter Gelb, written for WQXR's opera blog was rescinded after Gelb personally complained to the station. The incident was reported by The New York Times and later made the paper's front page when a similar story of Gelb's strained relationship to the press was reported.
Giovetti was previously known for her work as the Classical and Opera editor for Time Out New York, and has also written for The Washington Post, Gramophone, and Playbill. She is also a columnist for Classical Singer magazine and frequently contributes to the publication's features. In her writings, Giovetti has noted that her classical connections extend on her Italian side to ancestors that worked with Giuseppe Verdi.
- Davidson, Justin. "Justin Davidson on Peter Gelb's Operatic Tyranny". Vulture. Retrieved 2012-06-15.
- Tsioulcas, Anastasia (2011-11-18). "Around The Classical Internet: November 18, 2011 : Deceptive Cadence". NPR. Retrieved 2012-06-15.
- Tsioulcas, Anastasia (2011-10-03). "Steve Reich: Music We Love". NPR. Retrieved 2012-06-15.
- 'Circling the Ring,' The New York Times, 1 May 2012.
- Wakin, Daniel J. (May 21, 2012). "Latest Met Aria: Bad Opera News Is No News". The New York Times.
- Smith, Steve (November 24, 2012). "21c Liederabend at BAM Harvey Theater". The New York Times.
- Conducting Business: Brian Wise (21 January 2011). "Ten Greatest Composers: Beyond the Usual Suspects". WQXR-FM. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Steve Smith, Olivia Giovetti (18 December 2009). "Best (and worst) opera and classical music". Time Out. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- WQXR: The Top 10 Politically-Charged Moments in Verdi's Operas http://www.wqxr.org/#!/blogs/operavore/2011/sep/29/top-10-politically-charged-moments-verdis-operas/
- WQXR http://www.wqxr.org/#!/articles/q2-music/2011/sep/03/olivia-giovetti-rachmaninoffs-all-night-vigil/
- Offbeat Bride http://offbeatbride.com/2011/12/prague-elopement-wedding
|This article on an American disc jockey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|