In April 2009
|Born||Olivia Trinidad Arias
18 May 1948
Los Angeles, United States
(m. 1978; his death 2001)
Arias was born in Los Angeles. Her grandparents come from Guanajuato in Mexico. She was a secretary at Dark Horse Records, where she met George Harrison in 1974. Arias gave birth to the couple's son, musician Dhani Harrison, in August 1978. Olivia and George married in a private ceremony in September 1978 at the Henley-on-Thames Register Office in England.
Olivia Harrison attended ex-Beatle Ringo Starr and Barbara Bach's wedding on 27 April 1981 without her wedding ring, giving rise to the mistaken speculation that her marriage to George was a hoax. In the early 1990s, along with the other Beatles' wives Barbara Bach Starkey, Linda McCartney, and Yoko Ono, Harrison founded the Romanian Angel Appeal to provide aid to children living in devastation in Romania.
Harrison produced the memorial Concert For George in 2002 at London's Royal Albert Hall, which featured Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne, ex-Beatle Paul McCartney, Tom Petty, Billy Preston, Ravi Shankar, Ringo Starr, and her son, Dhani. Proceeds from the event were given to George's Material World Charitable Foundation. Harrison's video production received the Grammy Award for Best Long Form Music Video in 2004. She wrote the introduction for the 2002 book I Me Mine and authored the book Concert for George: A Celebration of the Life of George Harrison in 2006.
She co-produced the Martin Scorsese film George Harrison: Living in the Material World (2011), and appeared with Scorsese at Cannes in 2010 and in New York City in the summer of 2011 to promote the documentary. Harrison also co-authored (with Mark Holborn) and Scorsese wrote the forward for the book Living in the Material World: George Harrison, released in 2011.
In 1999, George and Olivia were attacked by a deranged man who broke into their home. George went downstairs after hearing noises. Moments later, George returned, followed by his attacker, and was stabbed multiple times. Olivia attacked the assailant with a fireplace poker, and the assailant turned on her. Later, they were both treated for their wounds at a hospital. The man was quoted as saying he was on a "mission sent by God", and that the Beatles were "witches".
- "Fondatori: Romanian Angel Appeal". raa.ro.
- Past Winners Search Grammy.com
- Radosh, Daniel (11 August 2009), "While My Guitar Gently Beeps", The New York Times (New York ed.) (published 16 August 2009), pp. MM26, ISSN 0362-4331, retrieved 26 August 2009
- Itzkoff, Dave (23 September 2011). "Within Him, Without Him". (limited free access) The New York Times. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- Harrison, Olivia & Holborn, Mark & Theroux, Paul (Introduction) & Scorsese, Martin (Foreword) (27 September 2011). Living in the Material World: George Harrison (First (Hardcover) ed.). Abrams, Harry N., Inc. ISBN 9781419702204.
- The Greedy Bastard Diary: A Comic Tour of America, pp 277–278, Eric Idle, Harper Entertainment, 2005, ISBN 0-06-075864-3
- Udovitch, Mim; Wild, David (2 January 2002). "Tom Petty Remembers George". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 19 June 2008. Retrieved 31 October 2008.