12 January 1966
|Residence||Malibu, California, U.S.|
|Spouse(s)||Halle Berry (m. 2013)|
|Partner(s)||Kylie Minogue (2002-2007)|
Olivier Martinez (born 12 January 1966) is a French film actor. He became known after roles in several French films such as Un, deux, trois, soleil (1993), which garnered him the César Award for "Most Promising Actor", The Horseman on the Roof (1995), and The Chambermaid on the Titanic (1997). He has also appeared in Hollywood-produced features, including the drama Before Night Falls (2000), the erotic thriller Unfaithful (2002) and playing the role of a French drug lord in the action-crime-thriller S.W.A.T. (2003).
Martinez was born in Paris, France, to a working-class family. His father was a Spanish professional boxer born in Spanish Morocco and his mother was a French secretary. He studied at the CNSAD and began his acting career in his native France in 1990. Martinez was raised Roman Catholic.
In 1994, Martinez won a César Award as "Most Promising Actor" for his role in Un, deux, trois, soleil (1993). This was followed by a leading role in the Jean-Paul Rappeneau period film The Horseman on the Roof (Le Hussard sur le Toit) in 1995 in which he starred alongside Juliette Binoche as an Italian nobleman. The film was hailed as the most expensive French film at that time in history but failed to reach its $35 million budget. In 1996/7 he appeared in Bertrand Blier's romantic comedy My Man (Mon Homme) alongside Anouk Grinberg, Gérard Lanvin, and Valeria Bruni Tedeschi. Later in 1997 he played a leading role in Bigas Luna's drama The Chambermaid on the Titanic (La Femme de chambre du Titanic) alongside Romane Bohringer, set during the time of the Titanic's sinking voyage in 1912. Martinez portrays a French foundry worker who wins a strongman contest and the prize of a trip to view the departing maiden voyage of the ill fated Titanic. The film was well-received; Mick LaSelle of the San Francisco Chronicle praised what he felt was a rare honest portrayal of male sexuality by Martinez.
Martinez first came to mainstream attention in Hollywood films with his performance in Julian Schnabel's Before Night Falls (2000) opposite Javier Bardem and Johnny Depp. The screenplay is based on the autobiography of the same name of Reinaldo Arenas, which was published in English in 1993. The film was highly critically acclaimed, although Martinez's performance was overshadowed by that of Bardem in the eyes of critics. He was later noted for his performance opposite Diane Lane in Unfaithful (2002). He has since appeared in a television adaptation of The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone (2003), S.W.A.T. (2003) and Taking Lives (2004). He also starred as Gabriel in the 2007 movie adaptation of Blood and Chocolate, a popular book.
Martinez has dated a string of models and actresses and, in his younger years, acquired a reputation in the tabloids as a womanizer. He dated American actress Mira Sorvino, Australian singer Kylie Minogue for several years, Spanish actress and model Goya Toledo (2007-10), English model and actress Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and French actress Juliette Binoche (1994-98).  He also dated American actress Michelle Rodriguez, his co-star from S.W.A.T.
Martinez began dating American actress Halle Berry in 2010 after meeting on the set of the action thriller film Dark Tide (2012). They confirmed their engagement in March 2012. On 22 November 2012, Martinez was treated at a Los Angeles hospital after being injured in a physical altercation with Canadian model Gabriel Aubry, Berry's former partner and father of her daughter. Aubry and Berry had been involved in a custody battle centered on Berry's desire to move with her daughter and Martinez to his native France, a request denied by a judge less than two weeks prior to the altercation, on the grounds that it would interfere with Berry and Aubry's joint custody arrangement. The custody dispute was resolved at the end of November.
|1990||Navaro||Rollo||Episode "Barbès de l'aube à l'aurore"|
|1992||IP5: L'île aux Pachydermes||Tony|
|1992||Les Paroles invisibles|
|1993||1, 2, 3, Sun||Petit Paul|
|1995||Le Hussard sur le toit||Angelo Pardi|
|1997||La Femme de chambre du Titanic||Horty|
|1999||La Ciudad de los prodigios||Onofre Bouvila|
|2000||La Taule||Le Muet|
|2000||Before Night Falls||Lázaro Gómez Carriles|
|2003||The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone||Paolo di Lio||Television film|
|2007||Blood and Chocolate||Gabriel|
|2010||Knight and Day||Beach Scene||Uncredited|
|2011||Dark Tide||Jeff Mathieson|
|2012||Cybergeddon||Gustov Dobreff||TV series (2 episodes)|
|2012||Cybergeddon Zips||Gustov||TV series (1 episode: "Gustov")|
|2013||The Physician||Shah Ala ad-Daula|
|2014||Revenge||Pascal LeMarchal||Recurring role (5 episodes)|
|2015||Texas Rising||President Gen. Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna|
|1993||Prix Jean Gabin||Won|
|1993||César Awards||Most Promising Actor (Meilleur jeune espoir masculin)||Nominated||IP5: L'île aux pachydermes|
|1994||César Awards||Most Promising Actor (Meilleur jeune espoir masculin)||Won||Un, deux, trois, soleil|
- "Today in History - Jan. 12". Associated Press. January 12, 2007. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- Olivier Martinez - Interview Magazine May 2002
- Olivier Martinez Interview, Blood & Chocolate
- Pidduck, Julianne (14 December 2005). La reine Margot (Patrice Chéreau, 1994). University of Illinois Press. p. 101. ISBN 978-0-252-03090-1. Retrieved 15 September 2011.
- Ebert, Roger (1 October 1998). Roger Ebert's movie yearbook 1999. Andrews McMeel Publishing. p. 395. ISBN 978-0-8362-6831-7. Retrieved 15 September 2011.
- Craddock, Jim (20 January 2005). Videohound's Golden Movie Retriever 2005. Thomson/Gale. ISBN 978-0-7876-7470-0. Retrieved 15 September 2011.
- The Advocate. Here Publishing. 19 December 2000. p. 57. ISSN 0001-8996. Retrieved 15 September 2011.
- "Oliver Martinez dates Halle Berry". The Mirror. 25 October 2010. Retrieved 15 September 2011.
- "Halle Berry & Boyfriend Olivier Martinez Step Out". Huffington Post. 24 October 2010. Retrieved 8 January 2011.
- "Halle Berry knutscht Olivier Martinez". OK! Magazine. Retrieved 15 September 2011.
- "Kylie finally finds a lasting love". Digital Spy. 14 April 2006. Retrieved 15 September 2011.
- "Kylie's ex and the double barrelled Victoria's Secret model". Daily Mail. 4 January 2011. Retrieved 8 January 2011.
- "The Carousel of Hope Ball". Marie Claire. 25 October 2010. Retrieved 19 April 2014.
- "Are Halle Berry and Olivier Martinez getting married?". Marie Claire. 4 January 2012. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- Henriette, Hadley (March 10, 2012). "Olivier Martinez confirms engagement to Halle Berry, clears up ring debate, opens Villa Azur on South Beach this weekend". The Miami Herald. Archived from the original on March 11, 2012. Retrieved March 11, 2012.
- Michaud, Sarah (November 22, 2012). "Gabriel Aubry Arrested After Brawl with Olivier Martinez". People. Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- "Halle Berry Can't Move to France with Daughter: Report". People. November 9, 2012. Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- Natalie Finn (November 29, 2012). Halle Berry and Gabriel Aubry Reach "Amicable Agreement" in Court. E Online. Accessed 2012-11-30.
- Ehrich Dowd, Kathy; Mikelbank, Peter (July 13, 2013). "Halle Berry Is Married: Photos". People. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- Silverman, Stephen M. (5 October 2013). "Halle Berry & Olivier Martinez Welcome Their Son!". People. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- Joyce Chen (October 8, 2013). "Halle Berry and Olivier Martinez names baby son, Maceo Robert Martinez".US Magazine. Retrieved 13 January 2013.