Olivier Roy (professor)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2015)|
Olivier Roy (born 1949 in La Rochelle) is a French professor at the European University Institute in Florence, Italy.   Olivier Roy has published articles and books on secularisation and Islam  including "Global Islam" and is known to have "a different view of radical Islam" than many other experts. After the Charlie Hebdo shooting he stated that most French Muslims were committed to prevent violence.  Also in 2015, following the November 2015 Paris attacks, the The New York Times published an analysis provided by Olivier Roy.
Roy received an "Agrégation" in Philosophy and a Master's in Persian language and civilization in 1972 from the French Institut National des Langues et Civilisations Orientales. In 1996, he received his PhD in Political Science from the IEP.
He was previously a research director at the French National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS) and a lecturer for both the School for Advanced Studies in the Social Sciences (EHESS) and the Institut d'Études Politiques de Paris (IEP).
From 1984 to 2008, he consulted with the French Foreign Ministry. In 1988, Roy served as a United Nations Office for Coordinating Relief in Afghanistan (UNOCA) consultant. Beginning in August 1993, Roy served as special Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) representative to Tajikistan until February 1994, at which time he was selected as head of the OSCE mission to Tajikistan, a position he held until October 1994.
Roy is the author of books on Iran, Islam and Asian politics. These works include Globalized Islam: The search for a new ummah, Today's Turkey: A European State? and The Illusions of September 11. He also serves on the editorial board of the academic journal Central Asian Survey.
Roy wrote widely on the 2005 civil unrest in France, rebutting the suggestion that the violence was religiously inspired.
His book Secularism Confronts Islam (Columbia, 2007) offers a perspective on the place of Islam in secular society and looks at the diverse experiences of Muslim immigrants in the West. Roy examines how Muslim intellectuals have made it possible for Muslims to live in a secularized world while maintaining the identity of a "true believer."
In 2010 he published "Holy Ignorance, When Religion and Culture Part Ways" an analysis of religion, ethnicity and culture and the results when these part ways.
- Leibniz et la Chine. Vrin. 1972. ISBN 978-2-7116-0670-2.
- Afghanistan: Islam et modernité politique. Seuil. 1985.
- L'échec de l'Islam politique. Édition du Seuil. 1992. ISBN 978-2-02-014153-6.
- Roy, Olivier; Volk, Carol (1996). The Failure of Political Islam. Harvard University Press. ISBN 978-0-674-29141-6.
- Généalogie de l'islamisme, Paris Hachette, 1995
- Khosrokhavar, Farhad; Roy, Olivier (1999). Iran: comment sortir d'une révolution religieuse. Éd. du Seuil. ISBN 978-2-02-035891-0.
- The New Central Asia: The Creation of Nations. I.B.Tauris. 2000. ISBN 978-1-86064-278-4.
- Les illusions du 11 septembre: le débat stratégique face au terrorisme. Seuil. 2002. ISBN 978-2-02-055815-0.
- La Turquie aujourd'hui: un pays européen?. Encyclopaedia universalis. 2004. ISBN 978-2-85229-783-8.
- Zahab, Mariam Abou; Roy, Olivier (2004). Islamist Networks: The Afghan-Pakistan Connection. Columbia University Press. pp. 3–. ISBN 978-0-231-13364-7.
- Globalized Islam: The Search for a New Ummah. Columbia University Press. 2006. ISBN 978-0-231-13499-6.
- Secularism Confronts Islam. Columbia University Press. 1 January 2007. ISBN 978-0-231-51179-7.
- La Sainte Ignorance: Le temps de la religion sans culture. Seuil. 2013-03-18. ISBN 978-2-02-111494-2.
- "Background (Conversations with History: Institute of International Studies, UC Berkeley)". University of California, Berkeley. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- "Olivier Roy". European University Institute. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- "Olivier Roy on Laicite as Ideology, the Myth of 'National Identity' and Racism in the French Republic". jadaliyya.com. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- "The disconnect between religion and culture". eurozine.com. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- "Olivier Roy". Goodreads. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- Steele, Jonathan (2004-07-13). "Secularism Confronts Islam". The Guardian. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- Judis, John B. (2013-05-22). "Boston: More Like Sandy Hook Than 9/11 - A conversation with Olivier Roy on the nature of the alleged Marathon terrorists". The New Republic. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- "There Are More French Muslims Working for French Security Than for Al Qaeda". The Huffington Post. 2015-09-01. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- "The Attacks in Paris Reveal the Strategic Limits of ISIS". The New York Times. 2015-11-16. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- "Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). European University Institute. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- Website in French Link to English Language Website On Site
- Washington Post, PostGlobal Panelist
- Biography and Articles on Le Monde Diplomatique
- Interview with Olivier Roy: "Full Equality before the Law for All Religions"
- The Crisis of the Secular State and the New Forms of Religious Expression] by Olivier Roy at France Diplomatie]