Olja Savičević Ivančević (born 1974 in Split) is a Croatian novelist, poet and playwright. She is a winner of the Grand Prize of the Druga prikazna Macedonian Literary Festival (2018), the T-Portal Award for Best Novel (2011), and the Mali Marulić prize for theatre (2013, 2014).
Life and career
Olja Savičević was born on 16 September 1974 in Split, Yugoslavia. She obtained a bachelor's degree in linguistics and literary criticism from the University of Zadar. She then worked as a freelance writer for online publications, and as a teacher.
Savičević began her literary career with poetry, publishing a collection Biti će strašno kada ja porastem in 1988. This was followed by Vječna djeca (1993) and Žensko pismo (1999). A short story collection, Nasmijati psa, came out in 2006. Her first novel, Adio kauboju was published in 2010. Its translation into several languages was received with acclaim. Another novel, Pjevač u noći, came out in 2016.
Savičević has also written and adapted dramas for children. Her dramatisation of Čudnovate zgode Šegrta Hlapića won the Mali Marulić award in 2013.
- Adio kauboju [Farewell, Cowboy]. Translated by Celia Hawkesworth. Istros. 2015. ISBN 978-1908236487.
- Pjevač u noći. Sandorf. 2016. ISBN 978-9537715922.
- Bit će strašno kada ja porastem. 1988.
- Žensko pismo. 1999.
- Mamasafari. Translated by Andrea Jurjević. Lavender Ink. 2018. ISBN 978-1944884383.
- Nasmijati psa [To Make a Dog Laugh]. 2006.
- Eileen Battersby (5 April 2015). "Farewell Cowboy, by Olja Savičević: a beautiful, subversively appealing novel". The Irish Times. Retrieved 13 October 2018.
- M.P. (14 September 2015). "Priče Olje Savičević Ivančević dostupne na internetu". Tportal (in Croatian). Retrieved 13 October 2018.
- "Olja Savičević". Literature Across Frontiers. Retrieved 13 October 2018.
- "Olja Savičević Ivančević". Sandorf. Retrieved 13 October 2018.
- Kapka Kassabova (9 May 2015). "Farewell, Cowboy by Olja Savičević review – coming of age in small-town Croatia". The Guardian. Retrieved 13 October 2018.
- Cristina Battocletti (13 November 2017). "Giusta distanza mai". Il Sole 24 Ore (in Italian). Retrieved 13 October 2018.
- "Olji Savičević Ivančević nagrada Mali Marulić" (in Croatian). Croatian Writers' Society. 2013. Retrieved 13 October 2018.