This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mann in 2012
|Education||St Christopher School, Letchworth|
St Catherine's College, Oxford
Answer Me This!
BBC 5 Live
Chips with Everything
The Modern Mann
Steve Wright in the Afternoon
Oliver Louis "Olly" Mann is a British writer, presenter and gadget correspondent. He is best known as the presenter of the weekend evening show on LBC and for his work with longtime collaborator Helen Zaltzman with whom he presents the award-winning podcast Answer Me This!.
Mann was educated at St Christopher School, an independent school in the town of Letchworth Garden City in Hertfordshire, followed by St Catherine's College at the University of Oxford, where he first met Zaltzman.
Life and career
Answer Me This!
The show increased its audience following a number of publicity stunts in Luxembourg, which they had selected as "the world's smallest country with its own iTunes site", and where they became the fourth highest-ranked podcast in the country. In 2009 was nominated for Best Internet Programme at the Sony Radio Academy Awards; an award it went on to win in 2010 (Silver) and 2011 (Gold). It has been selected as one of the Top 10 Comedy Podcasts in the World by The Guardian, and as Critic's Choice in Radio Times, Metro, and The Observer.
In 2010, Zaltzman and Mann wrote a book of the show, published by Faber and Faber, and were commissioned by VisitBritain to make an online video series, "Helen and Olly's Great British Questions". In 2012, they released their first album, Answer Me This! Jubilee, which entered the UK Top 20 Album Chart.
The Modern Mann
The Modern Mann podcast launched in 2015 as a "magazine show for the podcast generation". In each episode, Olly Mann is joined by sex educator and journalist Alix Fox for a weekly trip into Alix's "Foxhole", and tech writer and T.V presenter Ollie Peart for "The Zeitgeist".
The show starts with "The Zeitgeist" where Peart is set weekly challenges listeners submit, which he then reports back on. In the middle segment, Mann interviews people whose job it is to "provoke or confuse". Examples include a theme park designer, a white hat hacker, and a gambling addict. The show finishes with The Foxhole featuring Alix Fox, a "softly-spoken, foul-mouthed love expert" who answers listeners' questions such as "How do I clean my vibrator?" and "How do I tell my wife I’m gay?"
The show has twice been nominated 'Podcast of the Year' at the UK Radio Academy Awards, winning Silver in 2016.
In 2009, Zaltzman and Mann became the UK's first podcasters to be given their own radio show, "Web 2009 with Helen and Olly", an irreverent look back at the year's online trends, on BBC 5 Live. This was followed by other specials for the network, including "Web 2010 with Helen and Olly", in which they interviewed Trinny Woodall and Jon Ronson; and, in 2012, "Helen and Olly's Required Listening", a look at the world of alternative broadcasting. In 2010, 5 Live gave Zaltzman and Mann their own regular slot, as the "internet experts" on Saturday night news magazine programme Saturday Edition. After the show had been running for two years, the slot was made available to download as part of the BBC's weekly Let's Talk About Tech podcast.
In 2012, Mann became a regular stand-in presenter on London talk station LBC 97.3, where he has interviewed comedians Rufus Hound and Charlie Higson and hosted the overnight slot for ten nights over the festive period. In December 2013, he was announced as the new presenter of the overnight slot for 2014.
Gadgets & technology
Mann is the gadgets correspondent for British Forces News on BFBS and reports on technology for Radio 2 daytime show Steve Wright in the Afternoon, including annual coverage of the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. He is also the gadget columnist for Reader's Digest and has reported on gadgets and technology for outlets including This Morning, Sky News, CNET and the Jeremy Vine show.
Before going front of camera, Mann worked as a TV producer on shows including The Culture Show (BBC2), and ITV's The London Programme and Confessions. He now writes for comedy shows including Celebrity Juice and Keith's LemonAid.
- Faber & Faber "Author, Olly Mann" 2010
- The Richard Stone Partnership "Profile of Olly Mann" 2013
- British Forces News site "Profile of Olly Mann" 2010
- Answer Me This Website "Answer Me This! Official Site" 2013.
- Comedy Blogedy "Interview with Helen and Olly from Answer Me This!" 2010
- Ross' Random Blog "Interview with Answer Me This!" 2010
- Find Your Dream Job "Top Tip To Being Successful: Try Something New" 2012
- The Daily Telegraph "Helen and Olly - How We Cracked The iTunes Top 20" 12 January 2008
- Jewish Chronicle "Olly Mann and Helen Zaltzman chat their way to podcast glory" 7 May 2009
- Answer Me This! official site  11 May 2010
- British Comedy Guide "Frank Skinner and Jason Byrne win at Sony Awards 2011" 9 May 2011
- The Guardian "Top 10 comedy podcasts" 27 July 2009
- Metro "Answer Me This!" March 2008
- Miranda Sawyer, The Observer "Rewind radio: Prime Minister's Questions; Prisoners' Women; The Alias Men; The 404; Nature; Answer Me This! – review" 4 December 2011
- Comedy Blogedy "Interview with Helen Zaltzman and Olly Mann from Answer Me This podcast" 19 July 2011
- VisitBritain "News Releases: VisitBritain video is the big cheese" 27 July 2010
- Persephone Magazine "Persephone Pioneers - Helen Zaltzman" 26 September 2012
- Answer Me This! Official site "Answer Me This! Jubilee" 24 March 2012
- "ABOUT". The Modern Mann. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "Nominations for 2016 Audio and Radio Industry Awards revealed". Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- BBC News website "Month by month internet highlights of 2009" 31 December 2009
- Broadcast "BBC Radio 5 Live to Answer Me This" 27 November 2009
- British Comedy Guide "Web 2010 with Helen and Olly - Episode Guide"
- Robin Blamires Radio and Audio Site "The Listening List" 1 September 2012
- Saturday Edition page on BBC.co.uk "Saturday Edition homepage"
- Let's Talk About Tech page on BBC.co.uk "Let's Talk About Tech podcast"
- LBC 97.3FM Audioboo Channel "What Are Your Tips For Writing Wedding Speeches?" July 2012
- Olly Mann Soundcloud Channel "Olly Mann interviews Charlie Higson" September 2012
- LBC 97.3FM website "LBC 97.3 Christmas Schedule" December 2012
- BFBS "Profile of Olly Mann" 2010
- Steve Wright in the Afternoon on BBC iPlayer "Olly Mann reports from the Las Vegas consumer electronics show" 10 January 2013
- Reader's Digest UK website "Olly Mann at The Gadget Show Live" 11 April 2012
- YouTube "Olly Mann on This Morning" 22 July 2008
- Sky News Editors' blog "Sky News Unplugged - A New Weekly Show" 12 May 2008
- CNET UK "XperiaZ,4K and a fork, live from CES" 10 January 2013
- Olly Mann Soundcloud channel "Olly Mann talks to Jeremy Vine" 2011
- Internet Movie Database "Olly Mann"
- Rex features "Olly Mann on Lorraine" 6 March 2013
- Olly Mann official site "Olly Mann TV Showreel 2013" 2013
- Mulcahy Agency "Author profile: Olly Mann" 2010
- Pull Yourself Together Zine "Helen and Olly Answer Me This!" December 2010
- British Comedy Guide "Celebrity Juice - series credits" 2012
- British Comedy Guide "Keith's LemonAid - series credits" 2012