Olney Daily Mail
|Owner(s)||Fortress Investment Group|
|Sports editor||Justin Hatten (2006)|
The Olney Daily Mail is an American daily newspaper published in Olney, Illinois, and covering Richland County. The newspaper does not publish a Sunday edition. The current title began publication in 1910, at which time it supplanted or absorbed parts of four other newspapers. As of September 1999[update], the paper had a circulation of 4,330.
In 1998, then owner Hollinger International sold the newspaper to Leonard Green & Partners as part of a 40% overall divestment of Hollinger's United States newspaper holdings; the newspaper was published through Leonard Green's Liberty Group Publishing. Liberty Group Publishing was subsequently sold in 2005 to Fortress Investment Group and renamed to GateHouse Media.
Among newspapers noted as predecessors to the Daily Mail is Olney Times, which was published weekly on Fridays and began circulation c. 1856. In November 1857, a note to readers of the Olney Republican indicated that they would henceforth receive Olney Times instead, indicating the termination of the former periodical. The slogan for Olney Times was "Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty."
- Akouris, Tina (February 3, 2006). "Johnson makes Olney place to be". Chicago Sun-Times – via HighBeam Research.
- "Olney Daily Mail". Olney Chamber of Commerce. Retrieved 2015-07-10.
- "About The Olney daily mail. (Olney, Ill.) 1910-current". Chronicling America. Library of Congress. Retrieved 2015-07-10.
- Roberts, Gene; Kunkel, Thomas; Layton, Charles, eds. (2001). Leaving Readers Behind: The Age of Corporate Newspapering. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press. p. 56. ISBN 1610752325. OCLC 606535291. Retrieved 2015-07-10 – via Google Books (preview).
- Staff (November 25, 1997). "Tycoon Selling Papers". The Herald-News. Joliet, Illinois. Retrieved 2015-07-10 – via HighBeam Research.
- Staff (May 16, 2005). "Liberty sold to another investment firm". NewsInc. Retrieved 2015-07-10 – via HighBeam Research.
- Kirk, Jim (November 25, 1997). "Hollinger Will Sell Bunch Of Its Papers". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2015-07-10.
- "Olney Times header". Olney Times. 6 November 1857. Retrieved 2015-07-26 – via Newspapers.com.
- Staff (6 November 1857). "The subscribers of the Olney Republican....". Olney Times. Retrieved 2015-07-26 – via Newspapers.com.