Olson Kundig Architects
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Olson Kundig, a Seattle-based architectural firm, was founded by architect Jim Olson in 1967. Current principal/owners include Jim Olson, FAIA, Tom Kundig, FAIA, FAIA, Kirsten R. Murray, AIA, Alan Maskin and Kevin M. Kudo-King. Olson Kundig’s work encompasses museums, commercial and mixed-use design, exhibit design, interior design, places of worship, and residences, often for art collectors. The firm was awarded the 2009 AIA Architecture Firm Award (as Olson Sundberg Kundig Allen Architects) from the American Institute of Architects. The firm launched an interiors studio in 2000. Their first line of accessories, The Tom Kundig Collection, debuted in 2012.
Olson Kundig designed a space for the Gethsemane Lutheran Church in downtown Seattle. The project involves renovation of an existing 1950s building to integrate it into an evolving urban context and construction of 50 new housing apartments.
- Noah’s Ark Exhibit, Skirball Cultural Center, Los Angeles (2007)
- Delta Shelter, Washington (2004)
- Chicken Point Cabin, Idaho (2003)
- The Brain, Seattle (2001)
- Mission Hill Winery, Westbank, British Columbia (2001)
- Ridge House, Washington (2001)
- Red House, Denver (1999)
- Studio House, Seattle (1998)
- Frye Art Museum, Seattle (1997)
- Hillclimb Court Building, Seattle (1985)
- Gallery House, Seattle (1985)
- Pike & Virginia Building, Seattle (1978)
- Earth House, Washington (1969)
Awards and honors
The firm has won more than 70 regional and national AIA awards, as well as awards from the Chicago Athenaeum. Tom Kundig was awarded the 2008 National Design Award in Architecture from the Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, an Academy Award in Architecture from the American Academy of Arts and Letters in 2007, and the Emerging Architecture Award from the Architectural League of New York in 2004. Jim Olson received the AIA Seattle Medal of Honor in 2007. The firm's work has been published in the New York Times, Architectural Digest, and Architectural Record, among other publications.
- Olson, Jim. Jim Olson: Art in Architecture. Whatcom Museum/August Editions, 2013
- Kundig, Tom. Tom Kundig: Houses 2. Princeton Architectural Press, 2011
- Olson Sundberg Kundig Allen. Jim Olson Houses. The Monacelli Press, 2009
- Riordan, John and Kristen Becker. The Good Office: Green Design on the Cutting Edge. New York: Collins Design, 2008.
- Beck, Petyr, ed. The Frye Art Museum: Olson Sundberg Kundig Allen Architects. Documentary Media, 2007.
- Ngo, Dung. Art + Architecture: The Ebsworth Collection & Residence, William Stout Publishers, 2006.
- Ngo, Dung. Tom Kundig: Houses. Princeton Architectural Press, 2006.
- Ojeda, Oscar Riera, ed. Olson Sundberg Kundig Allen Architects: Architecture, Art, and Craft. The Monacelli Press, 2001.
- "Gethsemane Lutheran Church". Olson Kundig Architects.
- "Olson Kundig Architects to design Gethsemane Lutheran Church redevelopment". WIDN News. 2010-12-07.
- (German) Kindermuseum des Jüdischen Museums Berlin 22. Juli 2016