Olympia High School (Orlando, Florida)
|Olympia High School|
|4301 S. Apopka-Vineland Road
Orlando, Florida 32835
|Motto||Where Our Core Business is Teaching and Learning|
|School district||Orange County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Black, Silver, and Teal (as of the 2016-2017 school year)|
|Rival||Dr. Phillips High School (Panthers)|
|Website||Olympia High School|
Olympia High School was opened in the fall of 2001 in unincorporated Orange County, Florida, near Orlando. The first principal was Janice Pratt, the second was Robert Avossa, the third principal was Jenny Gibson-Linkh, and the current principal is Guy Swenson.
The Advanced Placement Experience Scholars Academy (APEX) at Olympia High School offers a rigorous, comprehensive four-year curriculum filled with Advanced Placement courses to a select group of academically talented students. Students are selected at the end of the eighth grade. Selection is based on student application, teacher recommendation, and standardized testing. This application process must be completed prior to July 1. Required APEX courses are designed to help students reach their academic goals, to facilitate interdisciplinary learning, and to encourage a cohort approach. With these requirements, students are still able to exercise considerable freedom to emphasize course work of their own choosing.
AVID, Advancement Via Individual Determination, is an American college-readiness system designed for increasing the number of students who enroll in four-year colleges, focusing on students in the academic middle.
Home of the Olympia Titans. They have many sports including football, basketball, baseball, golf, bowling, tennis, lacrosse, volleyball, water polo, swimming & diving, cross country, track, softball, soccer, wrestling, and weightlifting. The Titans won the state men's golf championship in 2005.
- Chris Johnson, Arizona Cardinals running back
- Maurice Price, Saskatchewan Roughriders wide receiver
- Brad Miller, Tampa Bay Rays shortstop
- Sherwood Brown, professional basketball player, member of Florida Gulf Coast team that reached the 2013 Sweet Sixteen
- Nick Gordon, Minnesota Twins shortstop
- Michael Lockley, professional football player
- Trevor Siemian, Denver Broncos quarterback
- Deondre Francois, Starting quarterback Florida State University
- Jesse Winker, professional baseball player Cincinnati Reds
Notes and references
- FHSAA Student Population Report
- "Olympia High School Zone." Orange County Public Schools Department of Pupil Assignment. February 11, 2016. Retrieved on April 21, 2017.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Gotha CDP, FL." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on April 22, 2017.
- "Zoning Map." Town of Windermere. Retrieved on April 21, 2017.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP (INDEX): Lake Butler CDP, FL." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on April 21, 2017. Page 1, Page 2.
-  http://www.cfl.ca/2016/01/11/roughriders-acquire-maurice-price-from-redblacks/