Saparmurat Turkmenbashi Olympic Stadium
|Record attendance||30,000 (Turkmenistan v Hong Kong, 18 November 2007)|
|General contractor||Mensel JV Consulting & Contracting Inc.|
|Turkmenistan national football team (2003-2011)|
Saparmurat Turkmenbashi Olympic Stadium (Turkmen: Saparmyrat Türkmenbaşy adyndaky Olimpiýa Stadiony) is a multi-purpose stadium in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan, that stood on the site now occupied by the New Olympic Stadium, which is being built in 2016. It was used mostly for football matches, but also for musical performances by Turkmen pop stars such as Maral Ibragimova.
The stadium holds 30,000 people and was built in 2003. Despite the use of the name "Olympic Stadium" the facility was neither built as part of a bid to host the Olympic Games, nor has it been used in such games.
In 2007 government decided to reconstruct the stadium and to enlarge it. The new arena will hold up to 60,000 people. The stadium closed in 2012, and was demolished in 2013 for redevelopment.
- Turkmenistan 3 – 0 Hong Kong
- Olympia Stadion Ashkhabat
- Turkmenistan - Indonesia
- New design: Olympic Stadium resembling… a horse
- "video of Maral performing at Ashgabat Olympic Stadium". Retrieved 2013-01-22.
- Infos on tourism-sport.gov.tm
- Olimpiýa taýýarlyk: Çykdajylar we ýerliklilik
- "Olympic" stadium is being dismantled in Ashgabat
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ashgabat Olympic Stadium.|
|This article about a Turkmenistani sports venue is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|