Seoul Olympic Stadium
|Jamsil Olympic Stadium|
|Location||Songpa-gu, Seoul, South Korea|
|Owner||Seoul Sports Facilities Management Center|
|Operator||Seoul Sports Facilities Management Center|
|Field size||110 x 75m|
|Broke ground||28 November 1976|
|Opened||29 September 1984|
|Construction cost||491 billion won|
|1986 Asian Games
1988 Summer Olympics
2013 EAFF East Asian Cup
South Korea national football team
Seoul United (2007–2009, 2012)
Seoul E-Land (2015–present)
The Seoul Olympic Stadium, also known as Jamsil Olympic Stadium (formerly romanised as Chamshil) is located in Seoul, South Korea. It is the main stadium built for the 1988 Summer Olympics and the 10th Asian Games in 1986. It is the centrepiece of the Seoul Sports Complex in the Songpa District, in the southeast of the city south of the Han River.
Design and construction
This multi-purpose stadium was designed by Kim Swoo-geun. The lines of the stadium's profile imitate the elegant curves of a Korean Joseon Dynasty porcelain vase. Spectator seats are distributed on two tiers, totally covered. Initially built with a capacity of approximately 100,000, today it seats 69,950.
Prior to its construction, Seoul's largest venues were Dongdaemun Stadium and Hyochang Stadium. Seating 30,000 and 20,000 respectively, they were too small to attract world-class sporting events. Construction on the new stadium began in 1977 with the aim of staging the Asian Games in 1986. However, when Seoul was awarded the Games of the XXIV Olympiad in September 1981, this stadium became the centrepiece.
Officially, the stadium opened on 29 September 1984, and served as the site for the 10th Asian Games two years later, then the Olympics in 1988. However, it has not been used to stage a major world sporting event since then. It currently has no occupant, although the Korea Football Association has expressed interest in utilizing the stadium for national team matches once again.
From the match against Japan on 30 September 1984 to the match against Yugoslavia on 28 May 2000, the Olympic Stadium was the home ground of the Korea Republic national football team. The newly built Seoul World Cup Stadium then became the center match venue for the Korean team. However, in an effort to revitalize football across the nation, Korea once again used the Olympic Stadium for the 2013 EAFF East Asian Cup in a 1–2 losing match against Japan on 28 July 2013. The KFA has expressed interest in continuing to use the venue for future national team matches.
Since 2015, newly formed professional football club Seoul E-Land FC is using this stadium.
Since the Olympics it has hosted a variety of events, notably as a concert venue for Korean as well as international artists.
- MJ & Friends concert on 25 June 1999 in front of 63,000 spectators
- Michael Jackson: HIStory World Tour on 11 and 13 October 1996 in front of 100,000 spectators
- Seo Taiji
- 1st Asia Tour: Rising Sun by TVXQ: 2006
- SM Summer Town Festival by SM Town: 15–17 July 2006: Kangta, TVXQ, The Trax, TSZX, Super Junior and Black Beat
- SMTown Live '08
- Mnet Asian Music Awards (MAMA), organised by Mnet Media: 21 November 2009
- Lee Seung-gi 2009 Hope Concert 
- 4th Asia Song Festival, organised by Korea Foundation for International Culture Exchange, in 2010.
- SMTown Live '10 World Tour by SM Town: Kangta, BoA, TVXQ, The Grace, Super Junior, TRAX, Girls' Generation, Zhang Liyin, SHINee, f(x).
- SMTown Live World Tour III by SM Town: Kangta, BoA, TVXQ, The Grace Dana & Sunday, Super Junior, Girls' Generation, J-Min, SHINee, f(x), EXO.
- Born This Way Ball by Lady Gaga: 27 April 2012
- YG Family World Tour by YG Entertainment: 15 August 2014. The concert is a part of AIA Real Life: NOW Festival 2014
- ArtRave: The Artpop Ball by Lady Gaga: 16 August 2014. The concert is a part of AIA Real Life: NOW Festival 2014
- "The Return Of The King Asia Tour Concert 2014" by JYJ: 9 August 2014. The concert is the first of their 9 concerts around 6 Asia countries. This tour promotes the new album Just Us in Asia.
- Mariah Carey's Elusive Chanteuse Show on 8 October 2014.
- g.o.d 15th Anniversary Reunion Concert: 25 October 2014. This concert will finish off their nationwide '15th Anniversary Reunion Concert' tour.
- Out There by Sir Paul McCartney: 2 May 2015. It was Sir McCartney's first South Korean concert.
List of concerts
|11–13 October 1996||Michael Jackson||Attendance: 100,000|
|25 June 1999||Michael Jackson||Attendance: 63,000|
|7 October 2000||Ricky Martin||Attendance: 35,000|
|22 June 2001||The Three Tenors||Attendance: 50,000|
|2 April 2002||Roger Waters|
|17 September 2004||Sir Elton John||Attendance: 25,000|
|14 January 2006||Backstreet Boys|
|15 August 2006||Metallica||Attendance: 20,000|
|27–28 November 2010||JYJ||Attendance: 40,000|
|27 April 2012||Lady Gaga||Attendance: 51,684|
|17 August 2013||Muse||Attendance: 35,000|
|18 August 2013||Metallica||Attendance: 40,000|
|9–10 August 2014||JYJ||Attendance: 40,000|
|15 August 2014||YG Entertainment||Attendance: 35,000|
|16 August 2014||Lady Gaga||Attendance: 35,000|
|8 October 2014||Mariah Carey||Attendance: 70,000|
|25 October 2014||g.o.d||Attendance: 40,000|
|2 May 2015||Sir Paul McCartney||Attendance: 40,000|
|2_4 September 2016||SHINee||Attendance: 30,000|
- "올림픽주경기장" [Seoul Olympic Stadium] (in Korean). http://stadium.seoul.go.kr/. Retrieved 5 December 2015. External link in
- "Seoul Olympic Stadium" World Stadiums. Retrieved 12 October 2011
- "Seoul Jamshil Sports Complex" Seoul Tourism Organization. Retrieved 12 October 2011
- "1988 Summer Olympics Official Report" Volume 1. Part 1. pp. 162-3.
- "K-Pop and Magic to Go On Stage". Korea Tourism Organization. 30 June 2006. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- Han, Sang-hee "Concerts to Rock Independence Day" Korea Times. 10 August 2008. Retrieved 26 March 2012
- Ji-Eun, Choi (25 November 2009). "2009 MAMA: Mama, where is my other half?". Asiae. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "7Lee Seung Gi to hold a solo concert" Allkpop. 10 November 2009.
- "7th Asia Song Festival" KOFICE. 23 October 2010. Retrieved 12 October 2011
- "SM Entertainment to launch world tour". The Korea Times. 2 July 2010. Retrieved 4 July 2010
- "S.M. Entertainment artists to hold joint performance in Seoul". Korea Herald. 5 July 2012. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- "Lady Gaga's Born This Way Ball Kicks Off Amid Protests". MTV. 27 April 2012. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- "Lady Gaga Joining PSY, 2NE1 at Summer Music Festival in Seoul". Billboard.com. 15 April 2014.
- "g.o.d to Launch Encore Concert Next Month in Seoul Olympic Stadium". CJ E&M enewsWorld. 3 September 2014. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jamsil Sports Complex.|
Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
Opening and Closing Ceremonies (Olympic Stadium)
Estadi Olímpic de Montjuïc
Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
|Olympic Athletics competitions
Estadi Olímpic de Montjuïc
Football Men's Finals (Olympic Stadium)