|17th Speaker of the Lok Sabha|
|Assumed office |
19 June 2019
|Preceded by||Sumitra Mahajan|
|Member of Parliament, Lok Sabha|
|Assumed office |
16 May 2014
|Preceded by||Ijyaraj Singh|
|Member of the Rajasthan Legislative Assembly|
8 December 2003 – 16 May 2014
|Preceded by||Shanti Dhariwal|
|Succeeded by||Sandeep Sharma|
|Born||23 November 1962|
Kota, Rajasthan, India
|Political party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Spouse(s)||Dr. Amita Birla|
|Residence||20 Akbar Road, New Delhi (official/primary)|
Kota, Rajasthan (private/secondary)
|Alma mater||Government Commerce College, Kota|
Maharshi Dayanand Saraswati University
Om Birla (born 23 November 1962) is an Indian politician who is the 17th and current Speaker of the Lok Sabha. He serves a Member of Parliament for the Kota-Bundi constituency in Rajasthan. Prior to parliament, he was elected thrice to the Rajasthan Legislative Assembly from the Kota South constituency. On 19 June 2019, he was elected Speaker. He is a member of the Bharatiya Janta Party.
Om Birla was born on November 23, 1962, to Shrikrishna Birla and Late Shakuntala Devi in a Marwari Maheshwari family. He completed his Masters in Commerce from Govt. Commerce College, Kota and Maharshi Dayanand Saraswati University, Ajmer.
Birla was imprisoned in Uttar Pradesh due to active participation in Ram Mandir construction movement.
Om Birla won his first assembly elections contesting from Kota South in 2003. He defeated Shanti Dhariwal from Congress by a margin of 10,101 votes. In the next assembly elections, he defended his seat with a comfortable margin of 24,300 votes to his nearest candidate Ram Kishan Verma from Congress in 2008. Before becoming a Member of Parliament, he won his third assembly election against Pankaj Mehta (Congress) by close to 50,000 votes in 2013. During his tenure in 2003-08, he was the Parliamentary Secretary (MoS rank) in Rajasthan Government.
Member of Parliament
He was elected to the 16th & 17th Lok Sabha from the Kota constituency.
In the 16th Lok Sabha, he was a member of the Standing Committee on Energy and Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. He was elected Speaker of the 17th Lok Sabha, following a motion for election moved by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Selection of the Kota-Bundi MP, Om Birla for the post of the Lok Sabha speaker surprised many including MPs from the treasury bench.
Apart from a being an active parliamentarian and working at constituency level, he has initiated several social welfare programs. Some of them include Paridhan, started in 2012 and involves distribution of clothes and books for the weaker section of society, blood donation camps. He has also started a free meal program and a medicine bank to supply required medicines free of cost for poor.
- District President, Bhartiya Janta Yuva Morcha, Kota. (1987–91)
- State President, Bhartiya Janta Yuva Morcha, Rajasthan State. (1991-1997)
- National Vice President, Bhartiya Janta Yuva Morcha. (1997-2003)
- Vice Chairman, National Co-operative Consumer Federation Limited.
- Chairman, CONFED, Jaipur. (June 1992 to June 1995)
- Lok Sabha Speaker, (19th June 2019)
- "Kota South (Rajasthan) Assembly Election Results". MapsofIndia. Retrieved 19 June 2019.
- "Lok Sabha". 22.214.171.124. Retrieved 29 August 2015.
- "Parliament profile".
- "PRS". www.prsindia.org. Retrieved 29 August 2015.
- "Om Birla". www.ombirla.com. Retrieved 29 August 2015.
- "BJYM : Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha : भाजयुमो : भारतीय जनता युवा मोर्चा | BJYM : Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha is youth wing of Bharatiya Janata Party one of the leading Political Party in India, भाजयुमो : भारतीय जनता युवा मोर्चा". www.bjym.org. Retrieved 29 August 2015.
| Member of Parliament
2014 – Present
| Speaker of the Lok Sabha
2019 – Present