|Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha) for Kota-Bundi|
|Preceded by||Ijyaraj Singh|
4 December 1962
Kota, Rajasthan, India
|Political party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Spouse(s)||Dr. Amita Birla|
Om Birla (born December 4, 1962) is an Indian politician from Bharatiya Janata Party and Member of Parliament in the 16th Lok Sabha from the Kota-Bundi constituency of Rajasthan state. He was a three time Member of Rajasthan Legislative Assembly from Kota South.
Om Birla was born on December 4, 1962, to Shrikrishna Birla and Late Shakuntala Devi. He completed his Masters in Commerce from Govt. Commerce College, Kota and Maharshi Dayanand Saraswati University, Ajmer.
He has been active in student politics. He was president of the student union in 1979. For 12 years since 1991, Mr. Birla was a key leader in Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha as president at state level first, followed by holding the position of vice-president at the national level.
Om Birla won his first assembly elections contesting from Kota South in 2003. He defeated Shanti Dhariwal from Congress by a margin of 10,101 votes. In the next assembly elections, he defended his seat with a comfortable margin of 24,300 votes to his nearest candidate Ram Kishan Verma from Congress in 2008. Before becoming a Member of Parliament, he won his third assembly election against Pankaj Mehta (Congress) by close to 50,000 votes in 2013. During his tenure in 2003-08, he was the Parliamentary Secretary (MoS rank) in Rajasthan Government.
Member of Parliament
He contested the 16th Lok Sabha elections from Kota-Bundi constituency and secured a comfortable victory by a margin of 2,000,782 votes over his nearest rival Ijyaraj Singh from Congress in May 2014. BJP swept the general elections in Rajasthan winning all the 25 seats.
Apart from a being an active parliamentarian and working at constituency level, he has initiated several social welfare programmes. Some of them include Paridhan, started in 2012 and involves distribution of clothes and books for the weaker section of society, blood donation camps. He has also started a free meal programme and a medicine bank to supply required medicines free of cost for poor.
He married Dr. Amita Birla in March 1991. They have two daughters, Akansha and Anjali. Akanksha is Chartered Accountant (C.A) and Anjali is pursuing political science honors from Ramjas College.
- District President, Bhartiya Janta Yuva Morcha, Kota. (1987–91)
- State President, Bhartiya Janta Yuva Morcha, Rajasthan State. (1991-1997)
- National Vice President, Bhartiya Janta Yuva Morcha. (1997-2003)
- Vice Chairman, National Co-operative Consumer Federation Limited.
- Chairman, CONFED, Jaipur. (June 1992 to June 1995)
- "Lok Sabha". 22.214.171.124. Retrieved 2015-08-29.
- "Message Page". 126.96.36.199. Retrieved 2015-08-29.
- "PRS". www.prsindia.org. Retrieved 2015-08-29.
- "Om Birla". www.ombirla.com. Retrieved 2015-08-29.
- "BJYM : Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha : भाजयुमो : भारतीय जनता युवा मोर्चा | BJYM : Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha is youth wing of Bharatiya Janata Party one of the leading Political Party in India, भाजयुमो : भारतीय जनता युवा मोर्चा". www.bjym.org. Retrieved 2015-08-29.