|Alma mater||Syracuse University, New York|
|Occupation||Film writer, Film director & Producer|
Om Raut is an Indian film director, writer & producer. He is best known for directing critically and commercially successful film Lokmanya: Ek Yug Purush (2015), which won him the Filmfare Award for Best Debut Director. The film starred highly acclaimed Marathi star Subodh Bhave. Om Raut has also produced films like City of Gold (2010 film) and Haunted – 3D, which was India's first stereoscopic 3D film. Currently, Om is working on a magnum opus period-action film, titled Tanhaji : The Unsung Warrior, starring Ajay Devgn. The film is scheduled to be released on 10 January 2020.
Om was born in Mumbai and raised in Mumbai & New York. His mother, Neena Raut is a National film Award winner and TV producer, and his father, Bharatkumar Raut, is a senior journalist, well-known author, and a successful member of The Indian Parliament (Rajya Sabha). His grandfather J.S. Bandekar (1925-2017) was a renowned documentary film maker and editor, who has won several National Awards as well as acclaims and mentions at the Cannes Film Festival.
Om has worked as a child actor in a number of theater plays and ad films. He made his feature film acting debut with the lead role in Karamati Coat (1993). The film was loved by audience from across the globe and won various accolades in number of film festivals.
Om has his post-graduate degree in films from the renowned Syracuse University, New York. He also holds a bachelors degree in Electronics Engineering from Shah & Anchor college of Engineering in Mumbai, India.
After completing his education, he started working as a writer and director for MTV Networks, NY. After his successful stint in the US, he decided to move back to India to be the vice-president of creative business at Valuable Group, promoters of UFO-Moviez, world’s largest satellite-based digital distribution platforms. Later, Om worked as the creative head of DAR Motion Pictures and was involved in producing critically acclaimed film like City of Gold (2010 film) (Lalbaug Parel in Marathi) & Haunted – 3D, the highest box office opener ever for an Indian horror film.
In 2012, along with his mother Neena Raut, who has been a prominent producer in Marathi film industry, he co-founded Neena Raut Entertainment. Their first feature film production was “Lokmanya: Ek Yugpurush”, which also marked the directorial debut of Om and won him the Filmfare Award for Best Debut Director.
|2010||City of Gold (2010 film)||Hindi||Yes|
|2011||Haunted - 3D||Hindi||Yes||
|2015||Lokmanya: Ek Yug Purush||Marathi||Yes||Yes||Yes||
Lokmanya: Ek Yug Purush
Lokmanya: Ek Yug Purush, Om's dream project, was his directorial debut & also Neena Raut Films' first feature-length production. The film is based on the life story of Bal Gangadhar Tilak - a social reformer and the freedom fighter of the Indian independence movement. The makers spent 1.3 crore on the visual effects of the film, which was the highest ever spent for a Marathi film. The film was praised by audience as well as critics. The Times of India gave 4 stars to the film adding "Very rarely does a Marathi film get a standing ovation from the audience and Lokmanya: Ek Yug Purush is one of them".
"It was my dream to make a film on Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak and therefore, I spent three years into research and planning, though it has taken only seven months to shoot the entire film. My entire team has worked very hard and I am sure, the film will make a great overall success," Om Raut said in an interview with Zee Talkies.
- Filmfare Award 2016: Best Debut Director for Lokmanya: Ek Yug Purush
- 52nd Maharashtra State Awards 2015: Best Director for Lokmanya: Ek Yug Purush
- Lokmanya: Ek Yug Purush, Official Selection in Indian Panorama Section at International Film Festival of India (2015).
- Lokmanya: Ek Yug Purush, Official Selection at 17th London Asian Film Festival (2015).
- 52nd Maharashtra State Awards 2015: Best Film for Lokmanya: Ek Yug Purush
- ""Om Raut" got Best Director Debut Award (Marathi Filmfare 2016) for "Lokmanya: Ek Yug Purush"". CityGossiper.com. 30 November 2016. Retrieved 19 December 2016.
- "Om Raut biography". in.bookmyshow.com.
- "Taanaji First Look Poster- Superstar Ajay Devgn Creates Midnight Sensation". Box Office Collection India - Movie Business Report, Review, Entertainment News & more. 20 July 2017. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- www.exchange4media.com. "Neena Raut". Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- "Endemol appoints Neena Raut as Regional creative head - Businessofcinema.com". businessofcinema.com. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- "Detailed Profile - Dr. Bharatkumar Raut - Members of Parliament (Rajya Sabha) - Who's Who - Government: National Portal of India". www.archive.india.gov.in (in Hindi). Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- "Karamati Coat". www.childrensfilmsouthasia.org. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- "Om had a successful stint in US - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- "Om Raut - Vice President-Creative Business Development at Valuable Group of Cos". Relationship Science. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- "Om Raut | Valuable Group Company | ZoomInfo.com". ZoomInfo. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- "City-of-Gold - Cast, Crew, Director and Awards - NYTimes.com". nytimes.com. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "Karamati Coat". childrensfilmsouthasia.org. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- "1.3 cr spent on Lokmanya's visual effects - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 29 February 2016.
- "Lokmanya: Ek Yugpurush". London Asian Film Festival. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- "Lokmanya - Ek Yugpurush Movie Review, Trailer, & Show timings at Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 29 February 2016.
- "Taanaji First Look: Ajay Devgn Stars As Legendary Maratha Warrior". NDTV.com. Retrieved 30 July 2017.
- Staff, Scroll. "Ajay Devgn to play Tanaji Malusare in upcoming biopic". Scroll.in. Retrieved 31 July 2017.
- "It was my dream to make a film on 'Lokmanya Tilak': Om Raut". ZEE Talkies. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- "Filmfare Marathi: Nominations are out - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- "Esselgroup -". www.esselgroup.com. Retrieved 19 June 2017.