Gonzalez with the United States in 2013
|Full name||Omar Alejandro Gonzalez|
|Date of birth||October 11, 1988|
|Place of birth||Dallas, Texas, United States|
|Height||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|2005||IMG Soccer Academy|
|2012||→ 1. FC Nürnberg (loan)||0||(0)|
|2005||United States U17||2||(0)|
|2007||United States U18||3||(2)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21 May 2016.
A college soccer player for the Maryland Terrapins, he joined the LA Galaxy in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft, and went on to play 180 regular season games for them, winning the MLS Cup in 2011, 2013 and 2014. He was named the MLS Rookie of the Year in 2009 and the MLS Defender of the Year in 2011.
Early Life and College
Gonzalez played youth soccer for the Dallas Texans Soccer Club, and played college soccer at the University of Maryland, College Park, where he won the 2008 College Cup championship, was named to the NSCAA/adidas All-American First Team and First Team All-ACC, and was named the ACC Defensive Player of the Year as a sophomore in 2007.
Gonzalez was drafted in the first round (3rd overall) of the 2009 MLS SuperDraft by Los Angeles Galaxy. Gonzalez began a regular feature in the Galaxy lineup from the start, and scored his first professional goal in April 4, 2009 against Colorado Rapids. He was named MLS Rookie of the Year for helping lead the Galaxy from a last-place finish in 2008.
In January 2012, Gonzalez was loaned to 1. FC Nuremberg of the Bundesliga until mid-February. During his first training session with his new club, Gonzalez suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament to his left knee after a collision with national teammate Timothy Chandler. He immediately headed back to the US to undergo surgery.
In August 2013, Gonzalez became Galaxy's third Designated Player after signing a new multi-year contract, rumored to be an annual average of more than $1.5 million. Gonzalez is the first pure center back to ever earn a Designated Player contract in Major League Soccer.
On December 22, 2015, Gonzalez was sold to Pachuca of Liga MX, ending his six-year stay with the Galaxy. During their press conference with a Star Wars theme, Gonzalez was unveiled as Star Wars character Darth Vader in presentation and was given the number 30.
Gonzalez made his league debut on January 8, 2016 in a 1–1 draw against Club Tijuana at Estadio Caliente. In his debut, Gonzalez registered an assist to Franco Jara to tie the match in the 43th minute. On February 7, 2016, Gonzalez scored his first goal for Pachuca late against Pumas UNAM to salvage a 1–1 draw. Gonzalez won the championship with Pachuca C.F. on his first season being a key player in the team's defense. At the start of the Apertura 2016 Gonzalez changed jersey numbers and was given the number 4 after the loan of Hugo Isaác Rodríguez ended.
On March 26, 2013, Gonzalez was given the start in central defense in the United States' 0-0 draw in a World Cup qualifier against Mexico at Estadio Azteca in Mexico City. According to Jeff Carlisle of ESPN, Gonzalez "was the man of the match by a clear margin".
- Scores and results list the United States's goal tally first.
|1.||July 18, 2015||M&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore, Maryland||Cuba||
||2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup|||
University of Maryland
- MLS Cup (3): 2011, 2012, 2014
- Supporters' Shield (2): 2010, 2011
- Western Conference (playoffs) (4): 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014
- Western Conference (regular season) (3): 2009, 2010, 2011
- "2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil: List of Players" (PDF). FIFA. June 11, 2014. p. 32. Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- "Colorado Rapids 3, Los Angeles Galaxy 2 (Close Finish) - 4/4/2009 - Football - Are You Watching This?!". Areyouwatchingthis.com. April 8, 2009. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- "Galaxy soar from worst to first". Chinadaily.com.cn. October 27, 2009. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- "LA Galaxy vs. Seattle Sounders 2 - 1". Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- Nick Firchau. "Galaxy hero Gonzalez loaned to FC Nurnberg". MLSsoccer.com. Retrieved January 7, 2012.
- "Gonzalez tears ACL at Nurnberg". Soccer By Ives. Retrieved January 7, 2012.
- "LA Galaxy sign defender Omar Gonzalez to Designated Player contract". LA Galacy. August 15, 2013. Retrieved January 7, 2014.
- "Gonzalez DP deal valued at more than $1.5 million per season". August 15, 2013.
- "LA Galaxy transfer defender Omar Gonzalez to C.F. Pachuca". MLSsoccer.com. December 22, 2015. Retrieved December 22, 2015.
- "Star Wars villain Darth Vader unveiled as Pachuca signing... before removing mask to reveal LA Galaxy defender Omar Gonzalez". 23 December 2015.
- "Pumas 1-1 Pachuca (2/7/16)". February 7, 2016.
- "Ex-LA Galaxy defender Omar Gonzalez scores dramatic first goal for Pachuca". MLS. 7 February 2016.
- "Pachuca, Campeón del Clausura 2016". 29 May 2016.
- "United States vs. Brazil 0 - 2 (11/10/10)". Soccerway. August 10, 2010.
- "Women's International Friendly". Espn Fc. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- "Omar Gonzalez, starting for U.S. in World Cup". Kevin Baxter. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- "2008 NCAA Division I Men's Soccer Championship" (PDF). Men’s Division I Championship Brackets. National Collegiate Athletic Association. p. 48. Archived from the original on 31 August 2011. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- Omar Gonzalez profile at Soccerway
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Omar Gonzalez.|