Omar Khan (businessman)
|Known for||Omar Khan's restaurant|
Omar Khan's Restaurant
Khan initially opened his Bradford restaurant in 1984, under the name Shah Jehan as owner and head chef, later moving to larger premises in the centre of Bradford and shifting to Omar Khan's to avoid name confusion. Over the years the restaurant has garnered a number of accolades including the Best in Britain Award in 1997, 98 and 99 award presented by the real curry restaurant guide. Omar Khan was also awarded the Hot Stuff Chef Of the Year 1994/95 by TAARO and Housing & Environmental Protection
On 31 August 2012, as the sole director of OK Bulls Limited and with the support of Labour MP and former sports minister Gerry Sutcliffe, Khan purchased the Rugby League club. Joint administrator Brendan Guilfoyle announced the sale stating, "My main duty as administrator is to get the best return for creditors - and this was the best deal on the table. Omar Khan has also passed the Rugby Football League's test as being a 'fit and proper person' to run a rugby club as well as being a passionate fan of the Bulls".
Community and philianthropic work
Khan is engaged in a number of ventures aimed at benefiting the community in Bradford such as OK In The Community which helps provide housing, independent living and support services to people with learning disabilities, physical disabilities and mental health issues and the OK Academy, which provides training for unemployed and disadvantaged youngsters
- "Bradford Bulls: Omar Khan consortium buys club". 31 August 2012. Retrieved 27 March 2019 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Bradford businessman Omar Khan's 'last venture' is to breathe fresh life into his beloved Bulls". Bradford Telegraph and Argus. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Health Advice - Chiropody - Foot Health". www.resthof.co.uk. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Gallery of Omar Khan's Bradford". www.omarkhans.co.uk. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "£200,000 restaurant to open in Skipton". Bradford Telegraph and Argus. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- Association, Press (1 September 2012). "Future of Bradford Bulls resolved as Omar Khan buys club". Retrieved 27 March 2019 – via www.theguardian.com.
- "EXCLUSIVE: New owner of Bradford Bulls tells of his plans for club". Bradford Telegraph and Argus. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Fundraising dinner shows Bradford's caring side". Bradford Telegraph and Argus. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Khan targets City's appeal to Asians". Bradford Telegraph and Argus. Retrieved 27 March 2019.