Omicron Delta Epsilon
Omicron Delta Epsilon (ODE) is an international honor society in the field of economics. Resulting from the merger of Omicron Delta Gamma and Omicron Chi Epsilon, ODE was founded in 1963. Its board of trustees includes well-known economists such as Robert Lucas, Kenneth Arrow, and Robert Solow. ODE is a member of the Association of College Honor Societies; the ACHS indicates that Omicron Delta Epsilon has 88,000 members. ODE currently has 578 active chapters worldwide. New members consist of undergraduate and graduate students, as well as college and university faculty; the academic achievement required to obtain membership for students can be raised by individual chapters, as well as the ability to run for office or wear honors cords during graduation. It publishes a journal entitled The American Economist twice each year.
History of ODE
Alan A. Brown was the founder and first President of Omicron Chi Epsilon (OCE) in 1955 while he was a student at City College of New York. Dr. Brown conceived the creation and the development of, first, a national, and then an international Honor Society in Economics. Friends and colleagues report that they were amazed watching this polite and deferring young person 'pestering' Nobel Prize winners and other giants of the economics profession to endorse, become involved in, and support this initiative, and succeeding.
The first annual meeting of ODE was held at Fordham College in New York City in the spring of 1958. Dr. Brown subsequently learned of the existence of another honor society in economics, Omicron Delta Gamma, founded in 1915 by John R. Commons, University of Wisconsin and Frank Taussig, Harvard University, which, while older and formally larger (more chapters) than Omicron Chi Epsilon, was less active than the younger OCE. Alan was the prime mover to facilitate a merger in 1963 between the two societies, renamed Omicron Delta Epsilon (ODE), adding "International" to its non-Greek name. At that point, ODE really took off. Dr. Brown was the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Omicron Delta Epsilon from its inception in 1963 until 1982.
- Omicron Delta Epsilon Honor Society- Economics - An ACHS Member Society
- Omicron Delta Epsilon - The International Economics Honor Society
- Omicron Delta Epsilon--The International Economics Honor Society (2007)—Official Site. Retrieved November 21, 2007.
- Association of College Honor Societies: Omicron Delta Epsilon (2006). Retrieved February 2, 2006.
- Omicron Delta Epsilon--The International Economics Honor Society – Official site.
- Information on "The American Economist" – includes abstracts of previously published articles.
- ODE at the University of Texas – The University of Texas ODE chapter
|This economics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|