|Traded as||NYSE: OMC
S&P 500 Component
|Industry||Advertising, public relations|
|Headquarters||New York City, United States|
|John D. Wren, CEO & President|
|Products||Strategic media planning and buying, digital and interactive marketing, direct and promotional marketing, customer relationship management (CRM)|
Number of employees
Omnicom Group, Inc. is an American marketing and corporate communications holding company, headquartered in New York City. Omnicom's branded networks and specialty firms provide various services in advertising and public relations, including strategic media planning and buying, digital and interactive marketing, direct and promotional marketing, and customer relationship management (CRM).
On 28 July 2013, it was announced that Publicis Groupe and Omnicom Group would merge to form Publicis Omnicom Group., which would have been the largest marketing and advertising holding company in the world. However, on May 8, 2014, the merger was called off, reportedly due to a "mix of clashing personalities, disagreements about how the companies would be integrated and complications over legal and tax issues". Another factor was that China’s antitrust regulator Mofcom "had not granted the deal regulatory approval".
Omnicom’s agency networks include BBDO, DDB Worldwide, TBWA Worldwide, Diversified Agency Services (DAS) and Omnicom Media Group (OMG). Its public relations, CRM and specialty communications agencies are managed by its DAS network and include the CRM businesses of Javelin, Proximity Worldwide, Rapp and Targetbase; the PR agency businesses Brodeur Worldwide, Fleishman-Hillard, G+ Europe, Ketchum Inc., Pleon and Porter Novelli and retail/promotional businesses such as Alcone Marketing Group. Omnicom Media Group includes OMD Worldwide, PHD Worldwide and Resolution Media. Omnicom was formed in 1986 from the merger between advertising agency networks DDB, Needham Harper Steers and BBDO.
- 1986 merger of BBDO, Doyle Dane Bernbach and Needham Harper
- 1988 Fred J. Meyer, John Watt and Dennis E. Hewitt join Omnicom.
- 1991 WPP sells its 22% stake in AMV to Omnicom for £7.5 million
- 1992 buys Harrison and Star
- 1993 TBWA acquired by Omnicom
- 1994 Matthew Freud sells Freud Communications to Abbott Mead Vickers
- 1995 Chiat/Day acquired by Omnicom
- 1996 sells 13% holding in Aegis for £45.4 million
- 1996 buys Ketchum Communications
- 1996 Omnicom's BBDO Worldwide raises stake in AMV from 28.4% to 29.6%
- 1996 Ketchum and Hong Kong-based Newscan establish Ketchum Newscan
- 1997 takes stakes in interactive agencies: Agency.com, Organic Online (OGNC), Razorfish, Interactive Solutions
- 1998 GGT BDDP acquired by Omnicom
- 1998 Omnicom buys Abbott Mead Vickers for £346 million
- 1998 buys Gold Greenless Trott for £143 million
- 1998 acquires Russ Reid Company
- 1998 takes 20% of I&S, Japan's eighth-largest ad agency
- 1999 buys Sheppard Associates
- 1999 buys The M/A/R/C Group; Targetbase & M/A/R/C Research
- 1999 Direct Partners acquired by Omnicom
- 2001 buys Grizzard Communications for US$91 million
- 2001 Matthew Freud leads £10 million buyout of Freud Communications
- 2001 buys The Washington Group
- 2001 buys Stromberg Consulting
- 2001 takes stake in Estrategia Assessoria de Comunicacao in Brazil
- 2001 buys Corporate Technology Communications
- 2002 creates Element 79 Partners agency in Chicago
- 2002 buys TPG (inc The Peter Group, AI Advertising and Topak Marketing)
- 2002 buys Aaron Walton Entertainment
- 2003 buys Organic, Inc. and Siegel+Gale
- 2003 Hall & Partners acquired by Omnicom for an undisclosed sum
- 2005 buys Resolution Media
- 2005 buys Luntz-Maslansky Strategic Research
- 2006 buys Rodgers Townsend
- 2006 buys 50% shareholding in 180 Amsterdam and 180 LA
- Revenue (2013): 14.585 B 
- Revenue (2012): 14.219 B
- Revenue (2011): 13.873 B
- Revenue (2010): 12.543 B
- Revenue (2009): 11.721 B
- Revenue (2008): 13.359 B
- Revenue (2007): 12.694 B
- Revenue (2006): 11.376 B
- Revenue (2004): 9.747 B
- Employees (2008): 68,000
- Chief Executive Officer is John D. Wren, its Chief Financial Officer is Philip J. Angelastro
- Chairman of the Board is Bruce Crawford
- Corporate headquarters on Madison Avenue in New York City
- Previous CEOs were Allen Rosenshine (1986 to 1989) and Bruce Crawford (1989 to 1997)
The company is governed by a board of directors. Current members of the board are: Robert C. Clark, Leonard S. Coleman, Jr., Errol Cook, Bruce Crawford, Susan Denison, Michael Henning, John Murphy, John R. Purcell, Linda Rice, Gary Roubos, and John D. Wren.
In addition to the board of directors, current management officers are: Bruce Crawford, John D. Wren, Philip J. Angelastro, Serge Dumont, Dennis E. Hewitt, William Timothy Love, Peter Mead, Asit Mehra, Michael J. O'Brien, Janet Riccio, Rita E. Rodriguez and Tiffany R. Warren
Lobbying for the Russian government
Omnicom Group's subsidiary Ketchum Inc and its subsidiary GPlus Europe are among the PR agencies used by the Russian government. The Russian government reportedly spends millions on its lobbying efforts. GPlus specializes in recruiting former EU officials and eminent journalists. Gregor Kreuzhuber, who leads the company's pro-Gazprom operations, was previously European Commission industry spokesman. Peter Witt is a retired German deputy ambassador to the EU who was hired by the company. Angus Roxburgh, another GPlus worker, covered the war in Chechnya for the BBC.
- "OMNICOM GROUP INC. 2013 Annual Report Form (10-K)" (XBRL). United States Securities and Exchange Commission. February 12, 2014.
- "OMNICOM GROUP INC. 2013 Q1 Quarterly Report Form (10-Q)" (XBRL). United States Securities and Exchange Commission. April 22, 2014.
- "Leo Burnett parent in huge ad merger deal", Chicago Tribune, 28 July 2013
- "Advertising giants Omnicom, Publicis call off $35-billion merger", Globe and Mail, 8 May 2014
- Gelles, David (8 May 2014). "At Odds, Omnicom and Publicis End Merger". New York Times.
- Mark Tungate. Adland: a global history of advertising. London, Kogan Page Publisher, 2007. ISBN 978-0-7494-4837-0.
- "Omnicom Group Announces Agreement to Acquire Abbott Mead Vickers PLC – Business Wire – Find Articles at BNET.com".
- "Hall & Partners acquired by Omnicom Group". December 3, 2003. Retrieved Jul 25, 2013.
- "Russia's Hired Lobbies in the West", Eurasia Daily Monitor Volume: 6 Issue: 148. August 3, 2009
- Russia hones new image among EU elite. Euobserver 09.02.2009