|Traded as||NYSE: OMC|
S&P 500 Component
|Industry||Advertising, public relations|
|Headquarters||New York City, United States|
|John D. Wren|
(President, CEO and Chairman)
|Revenue||US$ 48 Billion (2017)|
|US$ 20 Billion (2017)|
Number of employees
Omnicom's branded networks and specialty firms provide services in four disciplines: advertising, customer relationship management (CRM), public relations and specialty services. The services included in these disciplines are media planning and buying, digital and interactive marketing, sports and events marketing, field marketing and brand consultancy. Omnicom Group was ranked as one of the four largest advertising agencies in the world by The New York Times in 2002. In 2014, Omnicom was considered the second largest advertising holding company by The Wall Street Journal. The company employs more than 77,000 employees in over 100 countries worldwide.
In 1986, Allen Rosenshine, Keith Reinhard and John Bernbach co-created Omnicom in a three-way merger of BBDO Worldwide, Doyle Dane Bernbach and Needham Harper Worldwide. In 1989, Rosenshine stepped down as chairman of Omnicom to return to his role running BBDO Worldwide and Bruce Crawford (who had preceded Rosenshine as CEO of BBDO before leaving to run the Metropolitan Opera in 1985) was named chairman of Omnicom. In 1997, John Wren, the number two executive at Omnicom, became the company's chief executive officer, while Crawford remained as chairman.
By 2014, Omnicom was the second largest agency holding company and had revenue of over $15 billion. Omnicom launched Omniwomen in April 2014 with the goal of increasing the number and influence of female leaders within the organization. Omniwomen has more than 10 branches in the US, UK, Canada, France, Germany, China and the UAE.
In July 2017, Omnicom announced that Gracia Martore, former President and CEO of TEGNA Inc., had joined its Board as an independent director. Her appointment brings the total to 13 directors, 11 of which are independent. In February 2018, Ronnie S. Hawkins was appointed to the company's board as an independent director, bringing the total to 14 members, 12 of which are independent. In May 2018, Omnicom Group brought its language strategy agency, maslansky + partners, to Australia.
Omnicom is composed of five major agency networks that oversee 1500+ agencies as parent companies. The networks are BBDO Worldwide, Diversified Agency Services (DAS), DDB Worldwide, Omnicom Media Group (OMG) and TBWA Worldwide.
BBDO Worldwide, one of the companies present from the initial merger, is a creative agency which has been recognized as one of the most creative networks in the world. Founded in 2000, Proximity Worldwide is BBDO's digitally focused marketing arm. In January 2016, BBDO Worldwide acquired a majority stake in Wednesday Agency Group. At the 2017 Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity, BBDO Worldwide was awarded Network of the Year for the sixth time. Clemenger BBDO Melbourne was named Agency of the Year. BBDO was the top agency network featured in the 2018 WARC 100, an annual ranking of advertising and media effectiveness. In 2018, several of the BBDO agencies were ranked in the top 10 awarded individual agencies in the world by The Gunn Report.
The DAS Group of Companies comprises more than 200 companies focused on public relations, CRM, healthcare, events, promotional marketing, vehicle testing, branding and research. In 2016, Omnicom formed two separate holding groups for healthcare and PR agencies. Later that year, Omnicom Health Group acquired a majority stake in Biopharm Communications followed by Rabin Martin. Omnicom formed Omnicom Precision Marketing Group in 2017 to expand its digital and customer relationship management capabilities. In 2018, Omnicom Health Group acquired Snow Companies a patient engagement communications agency.
DDB Worldwide, one of the three initial companies, is a global advertising network. In November 2015, DDB Worldwide acquired Grupo ABC, the largest advertising group in Brazil. In June 2016, DDB Health was launched as a combination of healthcare agencies, which added medical and healthcare services to DDB's profile. Some of the businesses included in the DDB Worldwide unit are Tribal Worldwide, TracyLocke, adam&eveDDB, Roberts + Langer, Spike DDB, Rodgers Townsend, Alma and Uproar!@DDB.
Omnicom Media Group is the media division of the Omnicom Group Inc. In 2017, three Omnicom Media Group agency networks competed at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity, including OMD Worldwide, which was named Media Network of the Year. Companies operating in their network include media networks OMD Worldwide, PHD Worldwide, Hearts & Science, in addition to data and analytics company, Annalect, and digital marketing agency, Resolution Media.
TBWA is a global agency network, normally billed as 'The Disruption Company'. It was purchased in 1993 and then merged with the Chiat Day firm in 1995. In the United States, some of the company's offices still retain the TBWA Chiat Day name. Companies operating under the TBWA network include, Media Arts Lab, Digital Arts Network (DAN), The Integer Group, Lucky Generals, Designory, NEBOKO, and other TBWA branded regional agencies.
Omnicom also acquired global experience digital design agency Critical Mass (advertising agency) in 2014. Critical Mass has a unique position within Omnicom as it is much smaller than its main agencies but operates independently.
- "Omnicom Annual Report 2016" (PDF). Securities and Exchange Commission.
- "Omnicom Group About". Omnicom. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- Elliott, Stuart (31 March 2002). "Advertising's Big Four: It's Their World Now". The New York Times. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- Tadena, Nathalie; Jamerson, Joshua (22 July 2014). "Omnicom Posts Strong Sales Growth". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- "Omnicom Group". Fortune. Retrieved 2018-11-22.
- "The Worlds Biggest Public Companies:Omnicom". Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- "AT&T to Build Global Network for Omnicom Group". AT&T. 24 July 2017.
- Delo, Cotton (5 August 2015). "DDB's Keith Reinhard on the Origins of Omnicom". Beet.tv. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- Marshal, Caroline (24 February 2006). "The Omnicom Chief Executive, John Wren, Has Combined Creative Integrity and a Humble Outlook to Build the World's Biggest Advertising Holding Company. Caroline Marshal Meets Him in New York". Campaign Magazine. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- Tungate, Mark (3 May 2013). Adland: A Global History of Advertising. Kogan Page Publishers. p. 149.
- "Advertising's 'Big Bang' Is Making Noise at Last". Bloomberg Business. 31 March 1999. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- Lazarus, George (5 December 1996). "Wren To Land On Top Perch At Omnicom Group". The Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- Bruell, Alexandra (10 February 2015). "Omnicom Boosts Net Income 11.4% to Over $1 Billion in 2014". Advertising Age. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- Jardine, Alexandra (9 March 2015). "Omnicom Starts Omniwomen in U.K., Plans to Go Global". AdAge.
- Mahmud, Sana (16 March 2017). "Omnicom Launches Omniwomen's UAE Chapter". The Arabian Marketer.
- "Omniwomen Expands to Canada with the Goal of Advancing Women in Leadership". Interbrand. 7 March 2017.
- PR Newswire (18 July 2017). "Gracia Martore Joins Omnicom's Board Of Directors". The Street.
- "Omnicom : Ronnie S. Hawkins Appointed to Omnicom Group Board of Directors". 4-Traders. 23 February 2018.
- "Omnicom opens language strategy agency maslansky + partners - AdNews". Retrieved 2018-06-11.
- "Our Agencies". Omnicom Group. Retrieved September 3, 2017.
- O'Leary, Noreen (15 December 2014). "Agency of the Year:BBDO's Tennacity Turned a Major Client Loss Into a Minor Setback". ADWeek. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- "BBDO Buys Majority Stake in Wednesday Agency Group".
- "BBDO and WPP take top company awards at Cannes Lions". 24 June 2017.
- "BBDO agencies dominate WARC 100 category rankings". May 24, 2017.
- "WARC 100: #ShareTheLoad is World's Most Effective Campaign". Campaign India. 26 February 2018.
- Wilkie, Emma (12 February 2018). "The Gunn Report: The Most Creatively Awarded Advertising of 2017". Campaign US.
- "AMCI". AMCI. Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- "Diversified Agency Services". www.dasglobal.com. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- Spanier, Gideon (11 September 2017). "Luke Taylor Joins Omnicom to Head New CRM Division". Campaign US.
- Evans, Lauren (6 February 2018). "Omnicom Health Acquires Snow Companies". MM&M.
- "DDB Worldwide Communications Group Inc. Company Profile". Hoovers. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- McClellan, Steve (24 June 2014). "DDB Reorganizes Its New York Operations". MediaPost. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- "DDB Buys Grupo ABC, Brazil's Biggest Independent Ad Group".
- "Omnicom Unit Forms DDB Health & Appoints Josh Prince CEO". Zacks. 20 June 2016.
- McCaffrey, Kevin (29 June 2016). "Omnicom merges AgencyRx, Flashpoint and three other agencies to form DDB Health". MM&M.
- "Omnicom Media Group Profile". Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- "Cannes Lions 2017: Omnicom Media Group agencies stand out at Cannes". Adobo Magazine. 23 June 2017.
- O'Leary, Noreen (16 February 2015). "Inside TBWA New York's Reinvention;After Exec Changes and Account Losses, Shop Aims to Become Network Flagship". Adweek. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- "TBWA Worldwide Profile". Ad Brands. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- "TBWA buys majority stake in Lucky Generals". 22 February 2017.