On Air with Ryan Seacrest
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Genre||Comedy, Talk, Music|
5 hours (including commercials; on KIIS-FM)|
3-4 hours (syndicated)
|Country of origin||United States|
|Created by||Ryan Seacrest|
2004 (at KIIS-FM)|
2008 (Syndication) – present
On Air with Ryan Seacrest is a weekday syndicated radio program hosted by Ryan Seacrest. Seacrest hosts a weekday morning drive time radio show airing on Los Angeles Top 40 station 102.7 KIIS-FM. It was launched at the same time as the television show with the same name, although Seacrest had hosted a similar show in afternoon drive time on sister station 98.7 KYSR from 1995 until 2003. The TV series ran for several months in 2004, but nationwide syndication of the radio program did not start until 2008. While Seacrest hosts his Los Angeles show in the morning, the syndicated show's affiliates air it in middays or afternoons. The syndicated show takes segments from Seacrest's live Los Angeles wake up show and packages them with music, so listeners in other cities can hear them later in the day or the following day.
The live radio show is broadcast from the KIIS-FM studios in Burbank, California. KIIS-FM is owned by iHeartMedia, Inc. On Air with Ryan Seacrest is syndicated through an iHeart subsidiary, Premiere Networks. It is heard on over 130 radio stations in the U.S. and Canada. Although Seacrest began working in New York City on May 1, 2017, as co-host of Live with Kelly and Ryan on ABC Television, the KIIS-FM radio program continues to air live from 6 to 10 a.m. Pacific Time, with Seacrest broadcasting from a Manhattan studio. While he is on live TV, prerecorded discussions and bits air on KIIS-FM from 6 to 7 a.m., with his staff supplying live weather and traffic reports. After 7 a.m., Seacrest is heard live on KIIS-FM from the Manhattan studio.
The radio program, which initially featured newscaster and sidekick Ellen K., includes many popular segments such as Manny Streetz, Ginger Chan with Traffic and "60 Seconds of Sleaze" featuring entertainment news segment provided by Ellen K. This segment was actually originated by Seacrest's predecessor on KIIS-FM, Rick Dees, in a segment called "Dees Sleaze." One of the most popular segments is called "Ryan's Roses" where listeners call in with the suspicion that their significant other may either have cheated or is considering it. A staff member then calls the accused cheater imitating a florist who wishes to offer them a dozen free roses to be sent to anybody of their choosing. Often the accused cheater will send the flowers to the "wrong person," which may result in the "truth" pouring out and an argument between the couple, moderated by Seacrest. This segment is based on the common radio skit War of the Roses, which has been used on many radio shows around the country since the mid-1990s.
Following departure from the show, Ellen was replaced by former KIIS-FM midday DJ Sisanie (who was also the substitute host for her on occasional days). Sisanie's selection was officially announced on December 4, 2015, during the KIIS Jingle Ball 2015.
On May 1, 2017, Seacrest was named the new co-host of the syndicated television talk show Live with Kelly, which is broadcast weekdays from New York. To accommodate Seacrest's move, a new Manhattan studio was constructed within the facilities of WABC-TV where Live originates.
- On May 2014, the show hit airwave the first time in Bangkok, Thailand, on COOLcelsius 91.5 every weekday from 7 - 10 a.m.
- In 2008, Singapore's 987FM was the first station outside the United States to air the program, around November 2010. It later aired on Kiss 92FM from 8 p.m. to midnight on weeknights until January 2016.
- From June 2010, this show aired on the Malaysia radio station, Fly FM weekdays from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m. Previously, this show was aired on 1 pm to 4 pm weekdays.
- In Dubai, United Arab Emirates, "On Air" can be heard on Virgin Radio 104.4 every Sunday to Thursday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. It re-airs every Sunday to Wednesday from 10pm to 12pm.
- In Australia, the show airs weeknights 7-9 p.m. on the KIIS Network (except Perth).
- On Air is also broadcast in Canada on several radio stations, particularly the Virgin Radio stations in Toronto, Halifax, Montreal, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Calgary and in Fredericton on CIBX-FM.
- In South Africa the show is broadcast on 94.5 KFM in the Western Cape every weekday from 7 p.m. - 10 p.m.
- In Namibia, the show is broadcast in most large towns and cities across the country by Windhoek based radio network, RadioWave weekdays from 6 p.m. - 10 p.m.
- In Dominican Republic, Ryan's show is broadcast on Be 99.7 everyday from noon to 4 p.m.
- In United Kingdom, Ryan's show is broadcast on Heat Radio each weekday afternoon. Ryan's show was first broadcast on the Real Radio network weeknights at 10 p.m. from 2011 until 2013.
- In Lebanon the show airs weekdays noon-3 p.m. on Virgin Radio Lebanon (previously, it aired on 105.5 Radio One until 2015).
- in Jordan the show airs on Beat FM.
- In China, the program airs on Beijing People's Broadcasting Station's METRO Radio/FM 94.5MHz from May 18th, 2015. The show can be heard from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on weekdays.
- In India, the show airs on Bangalore's Radio Indigo 91.9 weekdays from noon to 2 p.m.
- Ryan's Roses - Listeners call in with the suspicion that their significant other is cheating or considering it. An 'On Air' staff member then calls the accused cheater imitating a florist who wishes to offer them a dozen free roses to be sent to anybody of their choosing. Often the accused cheater will send the flowers to the "wrong person," which may result in the "truth" pouring out and an argument between the couple, moderated by Seacrest. This segment is based on the common radio skit "War of the Roses," which has been used on many radio shows around the country since the mid-1990s. This segment uses vocal actors/actresses to portray florists or other characters.
- Tell Me Something Good - Listeners call and explain something good that has happened in their lives.
- 60 Seconds of Sleaze - A minute of gossip and celebrity news.
- Trakin, Roy (1 May 2017). "Ryan Seacrest's Future on the Radio: Still Live in Los Angeles?". Variety.
- Battaglio, Stephen (1 May 2017). "Ryan Seacrest is Kelly Ripa's new co-host on 'Live'". Los Angeles Times.
- "Ellen K Exits 'On Air With Ryan Seacrest' for Her Own KOST L.A. Show". Billboard. October 7, 2015. Retrieved October 16, 2015.
- "See Photos From Ellen K's Final 'OAWRS' Broadcast". Ryanseacrest.com. October 16, 2015. Retrieved October 16, 2015.
- "Sisanie Officially The New Co-Host For 'On Air With Ryan Seacrest'". AllAccess.com. December 5, 2015. Retrieved December 8, 2015.
- "Ryan Seacrest Tapped as Kelly Ripa's Permanent Co-Host on 'Live'". Variety. Retrieved 9 May 2017.
- "Today's Hottest Music - Fly FM". Fly FM.
- "On Air With Ryan Seacrest - Virgin Radio Dubai". Virgin Radio Dubai. 2013-07-22. Retrieved 2016-10-27.
- "Ryan Seacrest Show to air on Bauer's heat". RadioToday. 28 July 2014.
- Ryan Seacrest joins Real Radio Radio Today, July 2011
- "On Air with Ryan Seacrest". 102.5 Beat FM. Retrieved 2016-10-27.