On Golden Smog
|On Golden Smog|
|EP by Golden Smog|
|Released||December 11, 1992|
|Recorded||Pachyderm Studio, Cannon Falls, MN|
|Golden Smog chronology|
On Golden Smog was the debut EP from American band Golden Smog, released in 1992.
Golden Smog was a loosely connected group of musicians comprising, at various times, members of Soul Asylum, The Replacements, Wilco, The Jayhawks, Run Westy Run, The Honeydogs and Big Star. Golden Smog's lineup has often changed, but relative constants who appear on all the recordings are guitarists Kraig Johnson (Run Westy Run), Dan Murphy (Soul Asylum) and Gary Louris (The Jayhawks), along with bassist Marc Perlman (The Jayhawks).
On Golden Smog was reissued in 1996 by Rykodisc.
Writing for Allmusic, music critic Jason Ankeny wrote of the album "After a few years of haphazard shows in and about their native Minneapolis, the members of Golden Smog were approached by a small local label to put out a record; many, many beers later, On Golden Smog appeared."
- "Son (We've Kept the Room Just the Way You Left It)" – 4:26 - A Michaelangelo cover.
- "Easy to Be Hard" – 3:20 - A Hair Cover. (Sung by The Jayhawks' Gary Louris)
- "Shooting Star" – 4:44 - A Bad Company Cover. (Sung by Soul Asylum's Dave Pirner).
- "Back Street Girl" – 3:55 - A Rolling Stones Cover.
- "Cowboy Song" – 5:29 - A Thin Lizzy Cover. (Sung by Soul Asylum roadie, Bill Sullivan).
The band members of Golden Smog used pseudonyms in the credits.
- Anthony James – vocals
- Johnny Vincent – voices
- David Spear-Way – vocals, voices in your head, guitar, ocarina
- Jarret Decatur-Laine – vocals, guitar, choreography, light show
- Raymond Virginia-Circle – bass, staplegun, fish, synthesizer
- Eddie Garfield-Avenue – drums, kazoo
- Michael Macklyn-Drive – vocals, bass pedals, kettle drums, string arrangements
- The Straight Shooter Chorus – background vocals
- Paul Pacific – producer
- Sir James Bunchberry – engineer
- Chris Mars – artwork
- Dave Pinsky – editing
- Bonnie Lynn Butler – photography
- Dave Biljan – design