On Time (song)
|Single by Bee Gees|
|Released||14 January 1972|
|Format||7", 45 rpm|
|Recorded||21 October 1971
IBC Studios, London
|Label||Polydor (United Kingdom)
Atco (United States)
|Producer(s)||Robert Stigwood, Bee Gees|
|Bee Gees flipsides chronology|
It was recorded on 21 October 1971 in London, the day that they finished the song "Alive", which is included on their ninth album called To Whom It May Concern. The swamp rocker "On Time" was one of Maurice's favorites, this being the first of three recordings he made of it. Maurice and guitarist Alan Kendall share a few tracks of acoustic and electric guitars, accompanied by Geoff Bridgford on drums and string arrangement by Bill Shepherd that should not fit in, but does. Maurice later described this number as his "Swamp period".
"On Time" was only available on vinyl until it was included in the 1990 box set Tales from the Brothers Gibb. The single was released as a double A in the UK, Mexico, Spain and in Yugoslavia. In Mexico, the song was released under the title "A Tiempo". The song was released in 1971 in other countries like France, Germany and Italy.
- Maurice Gibb — lead and backing vocals, acoustic lead guitar
- Geoff Bridgford — drums
- Alan Kendall — electric lead guitar, guitar solo
- Bill Shepherd — orchestral arrangement
- Mike Berry and Bob Saker cover the song from their album Drift Away which was produced by Maurice Gibb and also plays on the whole album.
- Maurice Gibb re-recorded "On Time" in 1983 for the film A Breed Apart, but it was the 1972 Bee Gees recording that was used in the film, and the 1983 version sounds like a home demo with guitars and drum track. The several guitar tracks may include a contribution from Alan Kendall. And that version was recorded on Middle Ear, Miami Beach, Florida.
- Richard Ashcroft recorded his song "Are You Ready?" for the film The Adjustment Bureau on which samples "On Time". "Are You Ready?" was credited to Ashcroft and Maurice.
- Steve Gibb performed this in his father Barry Gibb's, concert at the Hard Rock in Miami as well as on Barry's Mythology Tour (2013-2014).
- Hughes, Andrew. The Bee Gees - Tales of the Brothers Gibb. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Joseph Brennan. "Gibb Songs: 1971".
- Discogs.com. "Bee Gees - A Tiempo (Mexico release)".
- Discogs.com. "Bee Gees - My World / On Time releases".
- "List of Albums". York Records. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Joseph Brennan. "Gibb Songs: 1983".
- "The Adjustment Bureau (2011) soundtrack". IMDb. Retrieved 2 January 2015.