On an Island Tour
This article does not cite any sources. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Tour by David Gilmour|
David Gilmour on stage, Munich, 2006.
|Associated album||On an Island|
|Start date||7 March 2006|
|End date||26 August 2006|
|No. of shows||33|
|David Gilmour concert chronology|
Rick Wright, Phil Manzanera and Guy Pratt joined Gilmour on tour to promote the album. The tour also featured Dick Parry, who played saxophone on the Pink Floyd albums The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Division Bell and Jon Carin who, in 1980s and 1990s, toured with Pink Floyd. Zbigniew Preisner conducted the orchestra in concert at Gdańsk. Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason joined to play "Wish You Were Here" and "Comfortably Numb" at one of the London shows. David Bowie made a guest appearance in London, performing vocals on "Comfortably Numb" and "Arnold Layne", the latter subsequently released as a live single. David Crosby and Graham Nash also appeared on select dates, reprising their studio performance of "On an Island", as well as singing on three other songs.
The tour was documented by the release of a live DVD/Blu-ray, Remember That Night; recorded at the Royal Albert Hall in May 2006 and a live album, Live in Gdańsk; a recording of the final show of the tour at the Gdańsk Shipyard, Poland in August 2006.
- "Speak to Me"/"Breathe"
- "Time"/"Breathe (Reprise)"
(At the beginning of the tour the above tracks were played during Set 2)
- On an Island (entire album)
(At the beginning of the tour the On an Island album made up the entire first set. The album was originally played in order, but half way through the US tour "Take a Breath" was moved so it was played after "Smile".)
All above tracks were present at every show.
Set two: The second set featured a selection of these tracks:
- "Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1–2, 4–5)" (Always present in the set. Occasionally performed with David Crosby and Graham Nash. "Part 3" was omitted to make the song's intro more guitar focused.)
- "Astronomy Domine" (Added during the second European tour, after the UK tour.)
- "Wot's... Uh the Deal?"
- "Wearing the Inside Out"
- "Fat Old Sun"
- "Arnold Layne" (was added at the end of the US leg with Richard Wright on lead vocals. A performance at the Royal Albert Hall on 29 May featured David Bowie on vocals)
- "Coming Back to Life"
- "High Hopes" (Always present in the set)
- "The Great Gig in the Sky" (performed on 30th/31 May with Mica Paris and during the early European dates, but was dropped until the London dates.)
- "Echoes" (Always present in the set, always the show-closer before the encore.)
- "Wish You Were Here" (Always present in the set. On 31 May Nick Mason played drums)
- "Find the Cost of Freedom" (only performed with David Crosby and Graham Nash)
- "Comfortably Numb" (Always present in the set. Always the final song of the shows. On 29 May at the Royal Albert Hall David Bowie sang lead vocals on the verses. On 31 May Nick Mason played drums.)
Other songs: Special performances of the following songs:
- Unrehearsed, impromptu performance, played during the second set.
- "Dark Globe" (Performed during July & August)
- Solo performances by Gilmour, performed after the death of Syd Barrett.
- One-off performance. The song is about the so-called "freedom" brought to the Eastern Bloc with the fall of the Berlin Wall. It was this, in part, that the concert was celebrating.
|Leg One (Europe)|
|7 March 2006||London||England||Mermaid Theatre||Filmed for BBC broadcast|
|10 March 2006||Dortmund||Germany||Konzerthaus||First live performance of "Wot's...Uh the Deal"; First of "Echoes" in 18 years; Featuring "Dominoes"|
|11 March 2006||Hamburg||Congress Centrum Hamburg|
|15 March 2006||Paris||France||Le Grand Rex|
|16 March 2006||L'Olympia||Featuring Sam Brown in a performance of "The Great Gig in the Sky"|
|18 March 2006||Frankfurt||Germany||Alte Oper|
|19 March 2006||Amsterdam||Netherlands||Heineken Music Hall|
|20 March 2006|
|24 March 2006||Milan||Italy||Teatro Arcimboldi|
|25 March 2006|
|26 March 2006||Rome||Auditorium Parco Della Musica|
|Leg Two (North America)|
|4 April 2006||New York City||United States||Radio City Music Hall||First concert on tour to feature Crosby and Nash; First to feature "Find The Cost Of Freedom"|
|5 April 2006|
|9 April 2006||Toronto||Canada||Massey Hall|
|10 April 2006|
|12 April 2006||Chicago||United States||Rosemont Theatre|
|13 April 2006|
|16 April 2006||San Francisco||Oakland Paramount Theatre|
|17 April 2006|
|19 April 2006||Los Angeles||Kodak Theatre|
|20 April 2006||Gibson Amphitheatre|
|Leg Three (Europe)|
|26 May 2006||Manchester||England||Bridgewater Hall|
|27 May 2006||Glasgow||Scotland||Clyde Auditorium|
|29 May 2006||London||England||Royal Albert Hall||Filmed performance; Featuring Robert Wyatt, David Bowie, David Crosby and Graham Nash|
|30 May 2006||Filmed performance; Featuring Mica Paris, Robert Wyatt, David Crosby and Graham Nash|
|31 May 2006||Filmed performance; Featuring Mica Paris, Nick Mason, Robert Wyatt, David Crosby and Graham Nash|
|27 July 2006||Klam||Austria||Klam Castle||Featuring the first performances of "Astronomy Domine" and "Dark Globe" on the tour|
|29 July 2006||Munich||Germany||Königsplatz|
|31 July 2006||Vienne||France||Théâtre Antique|
|2 August 2006||Firenze||Italy||Piazza Santa Croce|
|11 August 2006||Venezia||Piazza San Marco|
|12 August 2006||Featuring an unrehearsed performance of "On The Turning Away"|
|26 August 2006||Gdańsk||Poland||Gdańsk Shipyard||Filmed performance; Featuring orchestra; Featuring "A Great Day for Freedom"|