On the Cobbles
|On The Cobbles|
|Studio album by John Martyn|
|Released||26 April 2004|
|Genre||Folk jazz, folk rock, electronica|
|Producer||Jim Tullio, Garry Pollitt|
|John Martyn chronology|
On the Cobbles was the final studio album by John Martyn released during his lifetime (his last studio album, "Heaven and Earth", was released posthumously), released in 2004. The album was recorded at various studios in Ireland, the UK and US including Woolengrange in Ireland; The Toolshed, Chicago USA; Doon The Cellar, Birkenhead; Swan Yard Studios, London; Parr Street Studios, Liverpool; Hornyold Road Studios, Worcestershire and at The Caliope Recorders, Chicago, USA. It features guest appearances from Paul Weller, Nick McCabe, and long-time collaborator Danny Thompson.
The album was dedicated to "the surgical team & nurses of Orthopaedic Ward One at Waterford Hospital, Waterford, Ireland."
All tracks composed by John Martyn except where indicated.
- "Baby Come Home" (Frankie Miller) – 3:28
- "Under My Wing" – 4:10
- "Ghosts" – 4:03
- "Back to Marseilles" – 4:20
- "Cobbles" – 3:52
- "My Creator" – 7:17
- "One for the Road" – 4:05
- "Go Down Easy" – 4:57
- "Walking Home" – 4:49
- "Goodnight Irene" (Lead Belly, John Lomax) – 4:14
- John Martyn - guitar, vocals
- Peter Erskine - conga
- Ari Brown - tenor saxophone
- Steve Eisen - alto flute
- John Giblin - double bass on "Back to Marseille", guitar on "Goodnight Irene"
- Nick McCabe - guitar on "Walking Home"
- Andy Sheppard - tenor & soprano saxophones
- Mavis Staples - vocals on "Goodnight Irene"
- Jim Tullio - acoustic guitar, percussion, keyboards, fretless bass on "Go down easy"
- Tony Peers - Trumpet on "Ghosts"
- Greg Marsh - drums, percussion
- John Rice - mandolin
- Scott Steiner - Hammond organ
- Spencer Cozens - organ, piano
- Paul Mertens - bass harmonica
- Fred Nelson - piano
- Paul Weller - acoustic guitar, Wurlitzer electric piano|Wurlitzer, Hammond B3 organ, backing vocals on "Under My Wing"
- Chris "Hambone" Cameron - Rhodes piano|Fender Rhodes
- Danny Thompson - double bass
- Alan Thomson - fretless bass
- The bass line on "My Creator" is a combination of parts recorded by Danny, Alan and John Giblin.