On the Corner Where You Live
|On the Corner Where You Live|
|Studio album by|
|Released||21 September 2018|
|Studio||Tarquin Studios (Bridgeport, Connecticut)|
|The Paper Kites chronology|
|Singles from On the Corner Where You Live|
On the Corner Where You Live is the fourth studio album by Australian band The Paper Kites, released on 21 September 2018 through Nettwerk, almost half year after On the Train Ride Home. The album was produced by The Paper Kites and Peter Katis.
Guitarist Dave Prowys said in an interview that when Sam Bentley was writing the lyrics for On the Train Ride Home and On the Corner Where You Live, he was inspired by old noir films and Frank Sinatra albums.
He also referred to the album artwork: "He came across Gina's work and showed it to us and we all loved it", adding that "the idea of the artwork is two people who could be linked or maybe not – it's up to the listener to decide. It's painting a picture of part of a story for two people".
The AU Review's Tim Byrnes compared the album with the previous release, On the Train Ride Home, saying that "the two albums are like Ying and Yang – two different sides that make up a whole [...] The two sound very different: the former is acoustic and spare like their earlier work, while the latter is fuller and with an 80s dream pop influence". Stack's Jeff Jenkins referred to the album sound: "There's a touching simplicity to The Paper Kites' work, but it's a sophisticated sound, [...] the result is a record that oozes class, [...] there's no other Australian band quite like them", and described the album as "atmospheric and assured".
Radio Western's Anika In't Ho said that the album "is an enjoyable album with sweet instrumentals and powerful lyrics. The album is nice and soothing with melodic slow songs that feature amazing guitar riffs, saxophone solos and drum beats", concluding that the album is a "fantastic album with uplifting saxophone and guitar production as well as raw lyrics about life".
All tracks are written by Sam Bentley, except where noted.
|1.||"A Gathering on 57th"||1:30|
|2.||"Give Me Your Fire, Give Me Your Rain"||3:32|
|3.||"Deep Burn Blue"||4:39|
|4.||"Mess We Made" (written by Christina Lacy)||5:12|
|7.||"On the Corner Where You Live"||4:36|
|9.||"When It Hurts You"||4:53|
|10.||"Does It Ever Cross Your Mind"||2:43|
|11.||"Don't Keep Driving"||5:20|
The Paper Kites
- Sam Bentley – lead vocals
- Christina Lacy – vocals
- David Powys – guitars
- Josh Bentley – drums
- Sam Rasmussen – bass guitar
- Jefferton James – artwork
- Gina Higgins – album cover, painting
- The Paper Kites – production, arrangements
- Peter Katis – production, engineering, mixing
- Sam Bentley – recording assistance, layout
- Greg Calbi – mastering
- Gabe Wolf – recording assistance
- Greg Giorgio – recording assistance
- Samuel Rasmussen – recording assistance
|Australian Albums (ARIA)||48|
- "ARIA Awards: 2019 ARIA Awards Nominated Artists Revealed". Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA). 10 October 2019. Archived from the original on 28 October 2019. Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- Byrnes, Tim (10 October 2018). "Interview: Dave Prowys of The Paper Kites (Melbourne) talks about imagining strangers' lives on their new LP On The Corner Where You Live". The AU Review. Archived from the original on 13 April 2019. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- Jenkins, Jeff (17 September 2018). "The Paper Kites, 'On the Corner Where You Live' review". Stack.com.au. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- Hout, Anika In't (15 October 2019). "The Paper Kites - On The Corner Where You Live | Throwback Album Review". 94.9 Radio Western. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- "The Paper Kites - On The Train Ride Home/On The Corner Where You Live". Discogs. Archived from the original on 23 November 2019. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- "The Paper Kites - On The Corner Where You Live". Discogs. Archived from the original on 23 November 2019. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- "Australiancharts.com – The Paper Kites – On the Corner Where You Live". Hung Medien. Retrieved 23 November 2019.