On the Fringe 2011
|On the Fringe 2011
Zhang Yao Dong
|Ending theme||谁的珍重 by Deng Bi Yuan
边缘少年 by 姜鄠
|Country of origin||Singapore|
|Original language(s)||Mandarin (华语)|
|No. of episodes||20|
|Running time||≈45 minutes|
|Original network||MediaCorp Channel 8|
|Original release||2 August 2011 – 29 August 2011|
|Followed by||Bountiful Blessings|
|Related shows||On The Fringe 1987|
On the Fringe 2011 (simplified Chinese: 边缘父子) is a Singaporean Chinese drama which was telecasted on Singapore's free-to-air channel, MediaCorp Channel 8. It made its debut on 2 August 2011 and ended on 29 August 2011. This drama serial consists of 20 episodes, and was screened on every weekday night at 9.00 pm.
This drama is the first Singaporean drama to be rated PG due to semi-realistic portrayals of teenage delinquency and gangsterism.
It also marks the return of Li Nanxing after a 2-year hiatus and plays an ex-gangster recently released from prison who vows to start life anew. He was previously known for playing reformed ex-prisoners and similar antiheroes such as in the original 1987 series of the same name and in The Vagrant.
This drama serial hopes to rouse society into viewing teenage angst with concern and to emphasise to parents that what is more necessary than satisfying the material wants of their children is emotional bonding. Most important of all, never take the bad path of relying on illegal means of livelihood for this will only terminate in self-destruction.
Yao Zhiyong and his group of friends are a gang of rebellious teenagers who call themselves the WCS. They regularly get into fights with rival gangs. On one such occasion, Zhiyong and his friends had a close brush with the law when the police were called in. At home, he has been walking the thin line by trying to keep his "extracurricular activities" away from his mother.
Meanwhile, Tian Yibang is nearing the end of his jail sentence and reminisces about his old life. Before going to jail, he had been happily married and had a baby son. He refused to change to his old ways and the police soon caught up with him. His wife later came to prison and told him that she was taking away their son and raise him herself without acknowledging him as the birth father. Heartbroken, Yibang resolves to change his life around.
Yibang is released from prison and tries to find some work. At the same time, Zhiyong has been getting into trouble and by chance, their paths cross. Yibang sees his old self in Zhiyong and attempts to help Zhiyong before he goes on the road of no return. To his shock, he later discovers that Zhiyong is his long-lost biological son. Can Yibang help Zhiyong before it is too late?
- Li Nanxing as Tian Yibang
- Fann Wong as Liu Jiali
- Rui En as Lin Shasha
- Zhang Yao Dong as Leo
- Pan Lingling as Hua Hua
- Yao Wenlong as Four-eyes
- Brandon Wong as Ah Qing
- Kate Pang as Zhong Ling
- Rayson Tan as Yao Guo Hua
- Chen Tianwen as Luo Biao
- Constance Song as Nancy
- Eelyn Kok as Ivy
- Alan Tern as Jack
- Jeremy Chan as Ah Dang
- Bryan Chan as Shortie Hong
Star Awards 2012 Nominations
- Justin Peng was nominated for Young Talent Award, but the award goes to Tan Jun Sheng in Love Thy Neighbour.
- Ang Eng Tee clinched the Best Screenplay award, together with Chen Sew Khoon and Lau Chin Poon in The In-Laws.
- Lim Hap Choon was nominated for Best Drama Cameraman, but the award goes to Tommy Lee in A Song to Remember.
- Teo Pit Hong Joyce clinched the Best Drama Editing award.
- Ian Fang and Edwin Goh were both nominated for Favourite Male Character, but the award goes to Elvin Ng in C.L.I.F.
- Kimberly Chia was nominated for Favourite Female Character, but the award goes to Rui En in A Tale of 2 Cities.
- Li Nanxing and Fann Wong were nominated for the Favourite On-screen Couple award, but the awards go to Rui En and Elvin Ng in Code of Honour.
- Fann Wong is also nominated for the Best Actress award, but the award goes to Joanne Peh in A Tale of 2 Cities.
- Kate Pang and Constance Song were nominated for the Best Supporting Actress award, but the award goes to Vivian Lai in Love Thy Neighbour.
- This drama clinched the Best Drama Serial award.