On the Wings of Love (TV series)
|On the Wings of Love|
|Opening theme||"On the Wings of Love" by Kyla|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Original language(s)||Filipino, English|
|No. of episodes||145 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Arnel T. Nacario|
|Producer(s)||Emerald C. Suarez|
|Running time||30–42 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Dreamscape Entertainment Television|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Original release||August 10, 2015 –|
February 26, 2016
|Related shows||Till I Met You|
On the Wings of Love is a 2015 Philippine romantic comedy television series directed by Antoinette Jadaone and Jojo Saguin and starring James Reid and Nadine Lustre in their first primetime television series. The series premiered on ABS-CBN's Primetime Bida evening block and worldwide on The Filipino Channel on August 10, 2015, replacing Bridges of Love, and was replaced by The Story of Us.
The romantic comedy centers around two people — Clark, a boy living his American life and Leah, a simple girl with an American dream, who are forced to marry in order to legally stay and continue working in the United States.
The show ended on February 26, 2016 and this episode was divided into two parts: a recorded segment and followed by a live viewing party in Ynares Center, Antipolo City. It was also simulcasted live on ABS-CBN and worldwide on The Filipino Channel.
Leah Olivar (Nadine Lustre) grew up in a very poor, but happy family. When she was 12 years old, her mother Rona (Isay Alvarez) goes to the United States to work for their family's better future. Life eventually becomes better for Leah, her sister, Tiffany (Bianca Manalo), and their father, Sol (Joel Torre). However, a tragedy changes their lives forever. For Leah, Rona's death creates a desire for her to go to the America and fulfill her mother's "American dream".
Ten years later, this dream comes true as Leah gets her visa to compete in a choir competition in San Francisco, California. After the contest, Leah extends her stay in San Francisco with the intention of visiting her mother's grave, and to find a way to legally work in the United States. However to her surprise, Leah does not find her mother's grave, and as her visa expires, finding a job that will allow her to remain in the United States also becomes elusive.
With the urging of Jack (Cherry Pie Picache), the mother of Leah's ex-boyfriend, Jigs (Albie Casiño), and out of desperation, Leah agrees to a marriage of convenience so that she can get her visa. But with Leah's limited resources, it will be hard for Jack to find her a partner. The only suitable person that would agree to the small amount that Leah is willing to pay is Jack's nephew, Clark (James Reid), who has been living in San Francisco for the past 11 years. His life has been full of heartbreaks as he went to the United States with his mother, Ofelia (Katya Santos), to be introduced to his American father, Kenneth. Soon after, Kenneth refuses to recognize Clark as his son, and Ofelia suddenly dies. Clark gets placed into foster homes, where he was abused. Later, because of his love for his siblings in the Philippines, Clark persevered and survived in the U.S. These misfortunes and responsibilities in life deprived Clark of romantic love.
Despite their disastrous first meeting, Leah and Clark spend time as a fake couple and learn about each other's past, quirks and habits in order to pass the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) interview. As time passes, Leah and Clark discover a certain fondness for each other. They also realize that both have the same goals in life and that is to make a better life for their family.
They also start to sympathize with each other, as both reveal their deepest secrets. Soon, the sham marriage between Leah and Clark becomes real.
Cast and characters
- James Reid as Clark Medina
- Nadine Lustre as Leah Olivar-Medina
- Cherry Pie Picache as Jacqueline "Jack" Fausto
- Joel Torre as Soliman "Sol" Olivar
- Nanette Inventor as Pacita "Lola Pachang / Ima" Magtoto-Fausto
- Isay Alvarez as Veronica "Rona" Martinez-Olivar / Wyatt
Very Special Role
- Paulo Avelino as Simon Evangelista
- Albie Casiño as Diego "Jigs" Fausto
- Bianca Manalo as Tiffany Olivar-Carpio
- Nico Antonio as Antonio "Tolayts" Carpio
- Thou Reyes as Denzel
- Jason Francisco as Cullen
- Paolo O'Hara as Abet Fausto
- Jordan Castillo as Romer Fausto
- Ruby Ruiz as Lolit Carpio
- Joel Saracho as Mama Lulu
- Geraldine Villamil as Kapitana
- Juan Miguel Severo as Rico
- Cheska Inigo as Diana Stevens
- Kyle Echarri as Brent Wyatt
- Ysabel Ortega as Angela Stevens-Fausto
- Andre Garcia as Jordan Medina
- Laiza Comia as Jennifer "Jenny" Medina
- Nhikzy Calma as Gabriel "Gabby" Olivar-Carpio / Gabriel "Gabby" Velasco
- Benj Manalo as Axl
- Rafael "Paeng" Sudayan as Kiko
- Jhustin Agustin as Rodolfo
- Vivien Benjamin
- Matt Evans as Adrian Velasco
- Lee O'Brian as Arthur Wyatt
- Miguel Faustmann as Kenneth
- Anna Luna as Juliet Perez
- Japo Parcero as Monette
- Paul Cabral as Wedding Gown Designer
- Mark McMahon as Ethan
- James Vincent Martinez as Andres Suntay
- Anne Curtis as Herself
- Jobelle Salvador as Flora Evangelista
- Katya Santos as Ofelia Fausto-Medina
- Josh Ford as Young Clark Medina
- Avery Balasbas as Young Leah Olivar
- Trajan Moreno as Young Diego "Jigs" Fausto
- Belle Mariano as Young Tiffany Olivar
On the Wings of Love was the brainchild of Coco Martin based on his experiences as an OFW in Canada. The concept was originally supposed to be a movie starring Martin and superstar Nora Aunor but she turned down the role of Martin's mother as she was busy doing other projects. The film would eventually be released in 2016 under the title Padre de Familia.
With the film's release then uncertain, the concept was turned into a teleserye which necessitated a change in the female lead to co-star with Martin. Judy Ann Santos was approached to be Martin's leading lady. Santos, however, turned down the offer due to unexpected pregnancy. Sarah Geronimo was also approached for the role of leading lady but also had to turn down the offer due to scheduling conflicts. Martin also ended up being busy with his teleserye, Ang Probinsyano.
In March 2015, R&B singer Kyla recorded two cover versions of the series' eponymous theme song originally sung by Jeffrey Osborne and later covered by Regine Velasquez. The original version and its music video was released on May 16, 2015 via YouTube, while the alternate version is a piano cover.
|Kyla||"On the Wings of Love"|
|James Reid and Nadine Lustre||"On the Wings of Love"|
|Erik Santos||"Say You'll Never Go"|
|James Reid and Nadine Lustre||"Hanap-Hanap"|
|James Reid||"Bonfire Love Song"|
|Jed Madela||"If You Don't Want To Fall"|
|PILOT EPISODE||FINALE EPISODE||PEAK||AVERAGE||SOURCE|
"Dancing Police" Scene
In an episode, Clark (character of James Reid) pretends to arrest, handcuff and blindfold his wife Leah (character of Nadine Lustre). Leah was shocked that her husband Clark was dancing while wearing a police uniform. Later on, a scene was made to show how they were sorry for making the police feel offended about the scene.
Awards and nominations
|2015||Star Cinema||2015 StarCinema.com.ph Awards||Favorite TV Show||On the Wings of Love||Won|||
|Global City Innovative College||1st GIC Innovation Awards for Television||Most Innovative TV Series||On the Wings of Love||Won|||
|2016||Guillermo Mendoza Memorial Scholarship Foundation||47th Box Office Entertainment Awards||Prince of Philippine Television||James Reid||Won|||
|Princess of Philippine Television||Nadine Lustre||Won|
|Anak TV||18th Anak TV Seal Awards||Household Favorite TV Program||On the Wings of Love||Won|||
|Myx||11th MYX Music Awards||Favorite Media Soundtrack||Kyla for "On the Wings of Love"||Won|||
|Favorite Remake||Kyla for "On the Wings of Love"||Won|
|University of Santo Tomas||12th USTV Students’ Choice Awards||Students' Choice of Drama Program||On the Wings of Love||Won|||
|Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas||24th Golden Dove Awards||Best TV Drama Program||On the Wings of Love||Won|||
|Philippine Entertainment Portal||The PEP List Year 3 Awards||Primetime Series of the Year||On the Wings of Love||Won|||
|Teleserye Supporting Actress of the Year||Cherry Pie Picache||Won|
|Philippine Movie Press Club||8th PMPC Star Awards for Music||Pop Album of the Year||James Reid and Nadine Lustre for Jadine: On the Wings of Love||Nominated|||
|Male Pop Artist of the Year||James Reid for Jadine: On the Wings of Love||Nominated|
|Female Pop Artist of the Year||Nadine Lustre for Jadine: On the Wings of Love||Nominated|
|30th PMPC Star Awards for Television||Best Primetime Drama Series||On the Wings of Love||Nominated|||
|Best Drama Actor||James Reid||Nominated|
|Best Drama Actress||Nadine Lustre||Nominated|
|Best New Male TV Personality||Bailey May||Nominated|
|Best New Female TV Personality||Ylona Garcia||Nominated|
- Kenya – NTV (December 18, 2017 - April 7, 2018)
- Indonesia – MNCTV (November 21, 2016 - January 22, 2017)
- Thailand – Channel 3 (March 6, 2017 - June 20, 2017)
- ABSCBN Entertainment (May 16, 2015). ""On The Wings Of Love" music video by Kyla". ABSCBN Entertainment. YouTube. Retrieved May 17, 2015.
- ""ON THE WINGS OF LOVE" ARRIVES ON ABS-CBN PRIMETIME BIDA THIS MONDAY". abscbnpr.com. August 4, 2015. Retrieved August 5, 2015.
- "#OTWOLTheLastFlight reach almost 4M tweets". Manila Bulletin. February 27, 2016. Retrieved February 27, 2016.
- "IN PHOTOS: JaDine sweet moments at 'OTWOL' finale". Philippine Star. February 27, 2016. Retrieved February 27, 2016.
- Tuazon, Nikko (March 1, 2016). "Coco Martin, Sarah Geronimo were supposed to play Clark and Leah in On The Wings Of Love". PEP. Retrieved March 29, 2020.
- San Diego, Bayani Jr. (January 12, 2014). "Nora Aunor shares screen with Coco, Jasmine". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved March 29, 2020.
- PolyEast Records (October 6, 2015). "The R&B Queen's 15th year Anniversary Album #MyVeryBest is NOW AVAILABLE!". Facebook. Retrieved January 19, 2016.
- "My Very Best (15th Anniversary Album) by Kyla on iTunes". iTunes Store. Philippines: Apple Inc. October 1, 2015. Retrieved January 19, 2016.
- NATIONAL TV RATINGS (Urban + Rural): May 22-25, 2015. ABS-CBN Social Media Newsroom. Retrieved 2015-05-26.
- National TV ratings (17-22 August 2015): Pangako Sa’yo, On the Wings of Love, and Ningning hit all-time highs in TV ratings | The Voice Kids semi-finals tops Saturday programs. ABS-CBN Social Media Newsroom. Retrieved 2015-07-31.
- "'On The Wings of Love' airs apology over police uniform controversy". Rappler. February 1, 2016. Retrieved March 29, 2020.
- "James Reid and Nadine Lustre win Favorite TV Love Team and TV show at the StarCinema com ph Award". YouTube. November 10, 2015. Retrieved February 21, 2016.
- "Aldub hailed as Most Innovative TV Loveteam; Eat Bulaga, OTWOL chosen as Most Innovative shows on television". Philippine Entertainment Portal. November 12, 2015. Retrieved February 21, 2016.
- "John Lloyd, Bea, Vice, Coco, Vic, Ai-Ai lead winners at the Box Office Entertainment Awards". Philippine Entertainment Portal. February 21, 2016. Retrieved February 21, 2016.
- "TV Patrol: Kapamilya shows, pinarangalan ng Anak TV Awards". YouTube. February 23, 2016. Retrieved February 27, 2016.
- "Nadine Lustre wins big at MYX Music Awards 2016". Manila Bulletin. March 16, 2016. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
- "Maine Mendoza, Anne Curtis grace 12th USTv Awards". Philippine Entertainment Portal. April 22, 2016. Retrieved April 23, 2016.
- "ABS-CBN wins 24th KBP Golden Dove Awards 2016". iWeb.ph. April 30, 2016. Retrieved May 5, 2016.
- "#PEPListYear3: AlDub named TV Stars of the Year; KathNiel voted Movie Stars of the Year". Philippine Entertainment Portal. August 21, 2016. Retrieved August 21, 2016.
- "Alden, Daniel, Sarah G and others nominated for Pop Album of the Year at Star Awards for Music". Philippine Entertainment Portal. September 8, 2016. Retrieved October 15, 2016.
- "Heart, Jennylyn, Kim, Julia, Liza, Nadine, Dawn nominated for Best Drama Actress at Star Awards for TV". Philippine Entertainment Portal. October 7, 2016. Retrieved October 15, 2016.
- ""OTWOL" ng JaDine, lilipad na sa Jeepney TV". ABS-CBN Entertainment. June 21, 2017. Retrieved March 29, 2020.
- "READ: ABS-CBN statement on special primetime programming amid Metro Manila quarantine". ABS-CBN News. March 14, 2020. Retrieved March 29, 2020.
- "On The Wings of Love", Pernikahan Palsu demi Dapatkan Status Kewarganegaraan (Plus Jadwal Tayang di MNCTV!)
- รักวุ่นวาย...หัวใจติดปีก (On the Wings of Love) at thaitv3.com