|Cinematography||Balaji V Rangha|
Lone Wolf Productions
|Distributed by||Janus Pictures|
Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum (English: The Wolf and The Lamb) is a 2013 Tamil neo-noir crime thriller film written, directed and produced by Mysskin. Sri of Vazhakku Enn 18/9 fame, Mysskin, and Shaji Chen play the lead roles in the film. The film score was composed by Ilaiyaraaja. The film had no heroine and no songs. Filming began on 11 March 2013 and the crew shot the entire film in and around Chennai city. Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum released on 27 September 2013 and got universal acclaim. This film acquired cult status in Tamil cinema and inspired similar themes.
A man with a gunshot wound is being pursued by the police in the dead of night. He collapses on the side of a road, where passersby notice him but avoid taking any action. A medical student comes across the bleeding man and tries to get him medical help, but to no avail. Finally realizing that he has no other option than to take matter into his own hands, he takes the stranger to his house and saves his life. This act comes to haunt him as his entire family is taken into police custody for aiding and abetting a criminal on the loose. The rest of the story is about how the medical student becomes tangled up in the cat-and-mouse game between the cops and the killer.
On 16 February 2013 Mysskin announced his new production company Lone Wolf Productions and two days later newspaper ads came out with the title of his new film, Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum, and its design. The film was started with a pooja launch at the producer and directors office  where only his close associates were present. Young actor Sri of Vazhakku Enn 18/9 fame was roped in to do the lead.
The shooting happened in and around Chennai. Most of the shooting was happening at night because the story is set against the backdrop of darkness.
Ilaiyaraaja composed the film score. The film did not have any songs and Ilaiyaraaja after two decades composed the BGM only for a film. Instrumental pieces from the score were released before the film's release. Mysskin released the background score for free to download in his production website as a tribute to Ilaiyaraaja.
|Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum score|
|4.||"The Threshold Guardian"||01:11|
|6.||"I killed An Angel"||00:58|
|8.||"Walking Through Life and Death"||04:37|
|10.||"Somebody Loves Us All"||03:35|
Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum opened to rave reviews. Sudhish Kamath wrote "Mysskin has once again proved that he’s one of the most exciting, even if inconsistent, filmmakers of our times. The actor-director is in sparkling form as he returns with a career best in this dark, gritty, moody, philosophical metaphor-infested chase film that’s mostly brilliant. Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum compares well with world cinema but with a little more restraint and understatement, Mysskin has every potential to breakout at the international festival circuit and make us proud someday". Sify wrote "Onayum Aatukuttiyum is a gripping edge of the seat emotional dark thriller which also entertains. Onayum Aatukuttiyum is a stylishly made thriller and a class act. Haricharan Pudipeddi of IANS gave 4 stars out of 5 and wrote "OA arrives sans fanfare, but it sweeps you off your feet with an engrossing narrative, told mostly through one night. OA is a cut above Mysskin`s previous works. He crushes all cinematic cliches with this effort and manages to gives us a film we deserve". The Times of India gave 3.5 stars ouf of 5 and wrote "on the whole, Onaiyum Aatukuttiyum, while a rung below Anjathey in the filmography of Mysskin, is a tense thriller, one of the interesting films of the year, that is yet another showcase for its maker".
Rediff too gave 3.5 stars out of 5 and wrote "Mysskin has scripted a brilliant tale filled with human emotions and dark humour, cleverly maintaining the suspense element in the film until the very end". The New Indian Express wrote "Mysskin’s wolf and the lamb saga is refreshing, exciting and offers a different viewing experience to Tamil audience". Behindwoods gave 3.5 out of 5 and wrote "Mysskin’s Onaayum Aattukuttiyum is marked by apt performances, engaging screen play, intelligent narration and a sincere execution accompanied by technical brilliances. Indiaglitz have 3.25 out of 5 and wrote "OA has every desirable aspect of Myskin's previous thrillers viz. nail biting narration, neat performances, riveting re-recording, natural lights and as an addition to these there is no songs spoiling the narration in the movie".
Sudish Kamath later picked it as one of five films that have redefined Tamil cinema, writing, "Mysskin hits peak form as a storyteller with the most evolved sense of visual grammar in this part of the world". It was also featured in the year-end top Tamil films lists of Sify and Rediff.
The film good opening at the box office and collected ₹ 2 crore rupees in 3 days. The film ran for more than 5 weeks in many movie halls.
The film was premiered in television on Diwali day (2 November 2013), while the film was still running successfully in theaters.
The movie has achieved cult status among audiences. Even though it underperformed at the box-office and didn't get the recognition at first, it is now widely accepted as one of the best Tamil films of the 2010s decade.
- "'Onaiyum Aatukuttiyum' teaser released!". The Times of India. TNN. 3 June 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- Gupta, Rinku (25 September 2013). "An edge-of-the-seat thriller". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Mysskin's film in news". The Times of India. TNN. 19 February 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "'Onayum Aatukuttiyum' Review Roundup: Don't Miss This Suspense Thriller — International Business Times". Ibtimes.co.in. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Mysskin announces his new film". Sify. 18 February 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Mysskin to start 'Onaiyum Aatukuttiyum'". Sify. 21 February 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Mysskin kicks starts". IndiaGlitz. 23 February 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Gustav Mahler's 'Symphony No.5' for 'Onayum Aatukuttiyu'". Sify. 8 June 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Gustav Mahler's 'Symphony No.5' for 'Onayum Aatukuttiyu'". Business Standard. 8 June 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Ilayaraja to compose only BGM after two decades". IndiaGlitz. 8 June 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- Sudhish Kamath. "Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum: Wolf-whistle for Mysskin". The Hindu. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Movie Review : Onayum Aatukuttiyum". Sify. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "`Onayum Aatukuttiyum` review: Edge-of-the-seat tale of redemption". Zeenews.india.com. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- Mannath, Malini. "Wolf and lamb saga, each entwined with the other". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Onayum Aatukuttiyum Movie Review Onayum Aatukuttiyum, Mysskin, Ilayaraja". Behindwoods. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum Tamil Movie Review". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 29 September 2013.