Location of Onaway, Michigan
|• Total||1.57 sq mi (4.07 km2)|
|• Land||1.57 sq mi (4.07 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||850 ft (259 m)|
|• Estimate (2015)||841|
|• Density||560.5/sq mi (216.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0634060|
- Leo E. Goetz County Airport
Michigan State Trunklines
As of the census of 2010, there were 880 people, 394 households, and 214 families residing in the city. The population density was 560.5 inhabitants per square mile (216.4/km2). There were 495 housing units at an average density of 315.3 per square mile (121.7/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 95.8% White, 0.7% African American, 0.9% Native American, 0.1% Asian, 0.3% from other races, and 2.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.6% of the population.
There were 394 households of which 24.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 34.0% were married couples living together, 14.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 6.3% had a male householder with no wife present, and 45.7% were non-families. 40.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 22.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.21 and the average family size was 2.91.
The median age in the city was 43.6 years. 23.2% of residents were under the age of 18; 9.8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 17.9% were from 25 to 44; 29.4% were from 45 to 64; and 19.5% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 46.6% male and 53.4% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 993 people, 448 households, and 237 families residing in the city. The population density was 585.6 per square mile (225.5/km²). There were 525 housing units at an average density of 309.6 per square mile (119.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 96.37% White, 1.31% Native American, and 2.32% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.41% of the population.
There were 448 households out of which 26.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 35.3% were married couples living together, 13.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 46.9% were non-families. 42.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 25.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.18 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.1% under the age of 18, 10.4% from 18 to 24, 24.7% from 25 to 44, 21.9% from 45 to 64, and 17.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 85.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 76.9 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $20,787, and the median income for a family was $26,786. Males had a median income of $26,932 versus $18,958 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,552. About 20.3% of families and 26.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 37.8% of those under age 18 and 20.4% of those age 65 or over.
All of the following can be accessed in Onaway, Michigan.
- The Alpena News is the daily newspaper of record for much of northeastern Lower Peninsula of Michigan.
- The Onaway Outlook is the weekly newspaper for the city of Onaway, Michigan, published by Presque Isle Newspaper, Inc.
- The Presque Isle County Advance is the weekly newspaper of Presque Isle County, published by Presque Isle Newspaper, Inc.
- Channel 4:WTOM-TV "TV 7&4" (NBC) (Cheboygan) (simulcasted in channel 7, Harrietta)
- Channel 6:WCML "CMU Public Television" (PBS) (Montmorency Township)
- Channel 8:WGTQ "ABC 29&8" (ABC) (Goetzville) (simulcasted in channel 29, Kalkaska)
- Channel 10:WWUP-TV "9&10 News" (CBS) (Goetzville) (simulcasted in channel 9, Tustin)
- Channel 11:WBKB-TV "Channel 11 News" (CBS) (Alpena)
|Call Sign||Frequency||City Broadcast From|
|WTLI||89.3||Bear Creek Township|
|Call Sign||Frequency||City Broadcast From|
- Form of government: Council/Manager
- Meeting: 1st and 3rd Mon., 7:00PM
- U.S. Rep: Bart Stupak
- State Sen: Walter North
- State Rep: Andy Neumann
- Assessor: George Tupal
- Attorney: Michael Vogler
- Clerk: Debra Boucher
- Council: Charles Abshagen, Jessie Horrocks, Eric Rose, Sandrea Sheridan
- Mayor: Bernard Schmeltzer
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- The Alpena News
- Satellite map of Onaway, MI from Google Maps
- George Washington in Michigan - Information on local attraction.