Oncology Nursing Society
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) is a nonprofit membership organization of more than 37,000 registered nurses and other healthcare providers in patient care, education, research, and administration in oncology nursing.
ONS traces its origin to the first National Cancer Nursing Research Conference, supported by the American Nurses Association and the American Cancer Society in 1973. Following this conference, a small group of oncology nurses met to discuss the need for a national organization to support their profession. Since its official incorporation in 1975, it has grown to include 231 chapters and 27 special interest groups. It provides information and education to nurses around the world. In addition, the society plays an active role in advocacy activities at the local, state, national, and international levels.
ONS members represent a variety of professional roles, practice settings, and subspecialty practice areas. Registered nurses, including staff nurses, advanced practice nurses, case managers, educators, researchers, and consultants, and other healthcare professionals, are eligible for membership. The society offers information and resources for nurses at all levels, in all practice settings, and in all subspecialties.
ONS is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. ONS is also accredited as a provider of continuing education by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #2850.
ONS offers online and in-person education for oncology nurses to stay current on the latest cancer treatments and symptom management techniques. The society also holds both in-person and e-conferences.
- Congress (held every spring)
- Connections: Advancing Care Through Science (held every November)
- Quality and Safety in Oncology Nursing E-Conference
- Care Coordination: Improving Patient Care E-Conference
ONS publishes two scholarly scientific journals: the Oncology Nursing Forum and the Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing.
The society's news magazine, ONS Connect, is published both in print and online.
ONS is also a full-service publisher of books, monographs, and other publications for the cancer care community, with more than 70 books in print and 8–10 new titles every year. The society also produces patient-oriented books under its Hygeia Media imprint.
ONS participates in a variety of advocacy activities. It lobbies Congress on behalf of nursing and especially oncology nursing.
For example, ONS signed on to the nursing consensus statement to improve patients’ access to, cost, and quality of treatment as part of the 2010 healthcare reform. It also advocated with the nursing community for nursing provisions to be included as part of the healthcare reform bills.
Cancer Patient Treatment Education Bill
With Representative Steve Israel as the bill sponsor, ONS reintroduced the Assuring and Improving Cancer Treatment Education and Cancer Symptom Act (H.R. 1661) to the House of Representatives in 2013. The legislation would provide for Medicare reimbursement of the time that registered nurses spend educating people diagnosed with cancer and their caregivers about their disease and the effects of treatment.
ONS:Edge was a former healthcare intelligence company and the former for-profit subsidiary of the Oncology Nursing Society. It specialized in a core group of services: healthcare advisory boards, ancillary events at oncology nursing conferences, speaker bureau programs, strategic planning and marketing support, market research, and communications and awareness campaign development and support.
- About ONS http://www.ons.org/about
- Institutes of Learning Conference Syllabus http://www.ons.org/CNECentral/Conferences/IOL/2010/learn/Syllabus
- Commitment to Quality Health Reform http://www.ons.org/media/ons/docs/LAC/HealthcareReform.pdf
- [Letter to Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid] http://www.ons.org/media/ons/docs/LAC/pdf/correspondence/111/hcreformconference1-6-2010.pdf
- “ONS Partners With Congressman to Reintroduce Legislation” http://www.ons.org/news.aspx?id=200
- Study: Oncology Nurses Increasingly Concerned about Fungal Infections in Cancer Patients http://journals.lww.com/oncology-times/Fulltext/2010/08251/Study__Oncology_Nurses_Increasingly_Concerned.4.aspx
- About ONSEdge http://www.onsedge.com/about/
- Bringing Out Beauty: Hollywood makeup artist shares cancer side effect management tips with nurses http://nursing.advanceweb.com/Regional-Articles/Features/Bringing-Out-Beauty-2.aspx