|Edited by||Mikhail Blagosklonny, Andrei V. Gudkov|
|License||Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License|
Oncotarget is a twice weekly peer-reviewed open access bio-medical journal covering research on all aspects of oncology and publishing sub-sections on topics beyond oncology. The journal was established in 2010 and is published by Impact Journals. The editors-in-chief are Mikhail Blagosklonny and Andrei V. Gudkov.
In 2017, the journal was dropped from MEDLINE. In 2018 Clarivate Analytics delisted the journal from the Journal Citation Reports and all of its other products because "the journal no longer meets the standards necessary for continued coverage", despite having listed the journal as a "Rising Star from Essential Science Indicators" only a few months prior.
Abstracting and indexing
The journal is abstracted and indexed in PubMed, Meta, and Scopus. It was dropped from Index Medicus/MEDLINE in 2017 and in 2018 from BIOSIS Previews and the Science Citation Index Expanded.
The peer review process employed by the journal has been criticized by Jeffrey Beall, a university librarian and expert on predatory open access publishing, who also included the journal on his list of "potential, possible, or probable predatory scholarly open-access journals" in July 2015. Allegedly, journal editor Mikhail Blagosklonny responded by threatening to retract the papers of Beall's colleagues at the University of Colorado.
- "Widely used U.S. government database delists cancer journal". Retraction Watch. October 25, 2017. Retrieved October 25, 2017.
- Zimmer, Katarina (October 26, 2017). "Oncotarget Journal Cut from Medline". The Scientist.
- "Indexing company praises cancer journal, then kicks it out". Retraction Watch. 2018-01-19. Retrieved 2018-01-20.
- "Rising Stars from Essential Science Indicators". Clarivate Analytics. 2017-10-18. Retrieved 2018-01-21.
- "Indexing company praises cancer journal, then kicks it out". Retraction Watch. 2018-01-19. Retrieved 2018-01-21.
- "Oncotarget". NLM Catalog. National Center for Biotechnology Information. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Oncotarget | In The News - Press Releases". Retrieved 2018-03-15.
- "When a journal is delisted, authors pay a price". Retraction Watch. 2018-03-06. Retrieved 2018-03-15.
- Oncotarget. "Oncotarget to be Indexed in Highly Esteemed Meta Database". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2018-03-15.
- "Source details: Oncotarget". Scopus preview. Elsevier. Retrieved 2018-01-27.
- Beall, Jeffrey (19 April 2016). "Oncotarget's Peer Review is Highly Questionable". Scholarly Open Access. WordPress.com. Archived from the original on 20 April 2016. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- Beall, Jeffrey (16 April 2016). "LIST OF STANDALONE JOURNALS: Potential, possible, or probable predatory scholarly open-access journals". Scholarly Open Access. WordPress.com. Archived from the original on 2 December 2016. Retrieved 19 April 2016.