|Nickname(s): Sunshine State|
Location of Ondo State in Nigeria
|Date created||3 February 1976|
| • Governor
|Olusegun Mimiko (PDP)|
|• Senators||Boluwaji Kunlere, Robert Ajayi Boroffice, Akinyelure Patrick Ayo|
|• Total||15,500 km2 (6,000 sq mi)|
|Area rank||25th of 36|
|Population (2006 census)1|
|• Estimate (2005)||3,011,407|
|• Rank||20th of 36|
|• Density||220/km2 (570/sq mi)|
|• Total||$8.41 billion|
|• Per capita||$2,392|
|Time zone||WAT (UTC+01)|
|ISO 3166 code||NG-ON|
|^1 Preliminary results|
Ondo State, Nigeria was created on 3 February 1976 from the former Western State. It originally included what is now Ekiti State, which was split off in 1996. Akure is the state capital. Each state in Nigeria have different ministerial offices representing the federal offices in each state.
Government and society
The state contains eighteen Local Government Areas, the major ones being Akoko, Akure, Okitipupa, Ondo, and Owo. The majority of the state's citizens live in urban centers. The big government universities in Ondo state are the Federal University of Technology Akure, Akure and the Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko.
The ethnic composition of Ondo State is largely from the Yoruba subgroups of the Akoko, Akure, Okitipupa , Ilaje, Ondo, and Owo peoples. Ijaw minority such as Apoi and Arogbo. Ilaje populations inhabit the coastal areas; while a sizable number of the Ondo State people who speak a variant of the Yoruba language similar to Ife dialect reside in Oke-Igbo. These people are also Yorubas.
Local Government Areas
Ondo State consists of eighteen (18) Local Government Areas. They are:
List of Tertiary Institutions in Ondo State
- Elizade University
- Federal University of Technology Akure
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology, Okitipupa
- Achievers University, Owo
- Rufus Giwa Polytechnic, Owo
- Adeyemi College of Education
- Wesley University of Science and Technology
- National Open University of Nigeria Oke Aro road Akure
- Federal Polytechnic, IIe-Oluji
|Local Government Area||Male||Female||Total|
- Micheal Ade Ojo, Founder, Elizade University
- Oluwarotimi Odunayo Akeredolu, former president of the Nigerian Bar Association
- Nahzeem Olufemi Mimiko, incumbent vice chancellor of Adekunle Ajasin University
- Robert Ajayi Boroffice is an academic and politician.
- Bamidele Aturu, a Nigerian prominent lawyer and human right activist.
- Olu Falae, a former minister and a notable principal.
- Olu Aboluwoye, a Nigerian professor of Chemistry
- Akinyelure Patrick Ayo
- Robert Ajayi Boroffice
- "C-GIDD (Canback Global Income Distribution Database)". Canback Dangel. Retrieved 2008-08-20.
- "Ondo capital, Akure, becomes den for kidnappers". Pemium Times Nigeria. Retrieved June 19, 2015.
- "Federal Solutions to Ethnic Problems: Accommodating Diversity". Google book. Retrieved June 19, 2015.
- National Population Commission of Nigeria