|Nickname(s): Sunshine State|
Location of Ondo State in Nigeria
|Date created||3 February 1976|
| • Governor|
|Oluwarotimi Odunayo Akeredolu (APC)|
|• Deputy Governor||Agboola Ajayi|
Robert Ajayi Boroffice
|• Total||15,500 km2 (6,000 sq mi)|
|Area rank||25th of 36|
|Population (2006 census)1|
|• Rank||18th of 36|
|• Total||$8.41 billion|
|• Per capita||$2,392|
|Time zone||UTC+01 (WAT)|
|ISO 3166 code||NG-ON|
|^1 Preliminary results|
Ondo or Ondo State is a state in Nigeria created on 3 February 1976 from the former Western State. It originally included what is now Ekiti State, which was split off in 1996. Akure is the state capital. Each Nigerian state has several ministerial offices representing the federal government.
Ondo state borders Ekiti state to the north, Kogi State to the northeast, Edo State to the east, Delta State to the southeast, Ogun State to the southwest, and Osun State to the northwest.
Government and society
The state contains eighteen local government areas, the major ones being Akoko, Akure, Okitipupa, Ondo, and Owo. The majority of the state's citizens live in urban centers. The big government universities in Ondo state are the Federal University of Technology Akure, Akure and the Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko.
The ethnic composition of Ondo State is largely from the Yoruba subgroups of the Akoko, Akure, Okitipupa, Ilaje, Ondo, and Owo peoples. Ijaw such as Apoi and Arogbo populations inhabit the coastal areas, while a sizable number of the Ondo State people who speak a variant of the Yoruba language similar to Ife dialect reside in Oke-Igbo.
Local government areas
Ondo State consists of 18 local government areas:
- Akoko North-East (headquarters in Ikare)
- Akoko North-West (headquarters in Okeagbe)
- Akoko South-East (headquarters in Isua)
- Akoko South-West (headquarters in Oka)
- Akure North
- Akure South
- Ese Odo
- Ile Oluji/Okeigbo
- Ondo East
- Ondo West
Tertiary institutions in Ondo State
- Elizade University, ilaramokin
- Federal University of Technology Akure
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology, Okitipupa
- Achievers University, Owo
- Rufus Giwa Polytechnic, Owo
- Adeyemi University of Education, Ondo
- Wesley University Ondo
- National Open University of Nigeria Oke Aro road Akure
- University of Medical Sciences, Ondo
|Local government area||Male||Female||Total|
- Ilesanmi Adesida
- Akintunde Akinwande
- Olusegun Mimiko
- Gani Adams
- King Sunny Ade
- Olusegun Agagu
- Oluwarotimi Odunayo Akeredolu
- Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu
- Bamidele Aturu
- Akinyelure Patrick Ayo
- Omotola Jalade Ekeinde
- Olu Falae
- Gani Fawehinmi
- T. B. Joshua
- Jimoh Ibrahim
- Nahzeem Olufemi Mimiko
- Micheal Ade Ojo
- Bode Olajumoke
- Chris Olukolade
- Reekado Banks
- "2006 PHC Priority Tables – NATIONAL POPULATION COMMISSION". population.gov.ng. Retrieved 2017-10-10.
- "C-GIDD (Canback Global Income Distribution Database)". Canback Dangel. Retrieved 2008-08-20.
- "Ondo capital, Akure, becomes den for kidnappers". Pemium Times Nigeria. Retrieved June 19, 2015.
- "Federal Solutions to Ethnic Problems: Accommodating Diversity". Google book. Retrieved June 19, 2015.
- "National Population Commission of Nigeria". population.gov.ng.
Media related to Ondo State at Wikimedia Commons