One: The Movie
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|ONE: The Movie|
|Directed by||Ward Powers|
ONE: The Movie is an independent documentary that surveys beliefs on the meaning of life, culminating with the view that "we are all one". The movie was created and directed by Michigan filmmakers Scott Carter, Ward M. Powers and Diane Powers, and featured interviews with Deepak Chopra, Robert Thurman, Thich Nhat Hanh, Jaggi Vasudev, and others.
It was originally released in movie theaters in North America with accompanying promotional events in late 2005 through 2007. An (English version in US) was released on DVD in 2007. The documentary was a focus of discussion in the Global Spirit series' episode Oneness: The Big Picture on LinkTV.
The filmmakers asked twenty questions of religious and spiritual teachers as well as artists, authors, atheists, and people on the street. The answers are accompanied by the image of a "nameless traveler" who has grown weary with the suffering and negativity of the world, and who begins a search for meaning and truth. The documentary covers a range of spiritual and philosophical themes such as the source of fear, enlightenment, spirit, the meaning of life, compassion, life after death, diversity, the nature of God and Heaven, and religion (including Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Sufism, Taoism, New Age, New Thought Spirituality, Hare Krishna, Native American spirituality, Catholicism, Protestantism, and Christian fundamentalism). ONE also explores contemporary themes of war, conflict, terrorism, peace, global change, social responsibility, and environmental concerns. Prior to editing the movie, the filmmakers consulted with American philosopher Ken Wilber, founder of the Integral Institute.
The 20 questions asked of participants were:
- Why is there poverty and suffering in the world?
- What is the relationship between science and religion?
- Why are so many people depressed?
- What are we all so afraid of?
- When is war justifiable?
- How would God want us to respond to aggression and terrorism?
- How does one obtain true peace?
- What does it mean to live in the present moment?
- What is our greatest distraction?
- Is current religion serving its purpose?
- What happens to you after you die?
- Describe heaven and how to get there?
- What is the meaning of life?
- Describe God?
- What is the greatest quality humans possess?
- What is it that prevents people from living to their full potential?
- Non-verbally, by motion or gesture only, act out what you believe to be the current condition of the world.
- What is your one wish for the world?
- What is wisdom and how do we gain it?
- Are we all One?
Participants included Deepak Chopra, Ram Dass, Thich Nhat Hanh (Thay), Thomas Keating, Barbara Marx Hubbard, Riane Eisler, Robert Thurman, Jaggi Vasudev, Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee, Mantak Chia, the late Bhakti Tirtha Swami, Richard Rohr, Sister Chan Khong, Hassan Al-Qazwini, the late Wayne Teasdale, Rabbi Arnie Sleutelberg, and Muruga Booker.
International theatrical release
- In April 2007, (subtitled in Spanish) was released in Mexico by Arthouse Movies.
- In May 2007, a version of the film dubbed in German was released in several cities in Germany by TAO Cinemathek.
- In July 2007, released in Brazil
- Opened in theaters in Austria in September 2007.
Film festival presence
- Official Selection of the 2005 Berlin One World International Human Rights Festival
- Official Selection of the 2005 Hawaii International Film Festival
- Official Selection of the 2005 Global Peace Film Festival
- Official Selection of the 2005 Hong Kong Exploring Consciousness Film Festival
- Official Selection of the 2005 South African Exploring Consciousness Film Festival
- Official Selection of the 2005 Waterfront Film Festival
- Award Winner of the 2005 East Lansing Film Festival
- ONE: The Movie Original Musical Score and Theme by Omar Jon Ajluni
- "Ya Ya" by Paully Moonbeam
- "Choir OM" by the Center for Spiritual Living
- "Evolution" by Simple Wisdom
- "Slo OJ" by Chapstik
- "Washed Away" by Nooh
- "Prayer of Compassion" by Michael Fitzpatrick Lish McDuff, Chien-Tai, and Anthony Stoops
- "Awakening" by Aaron Nicholson
- "Walk a Mile" in My Shoes by M-Pact