OneWebDay is an annual day of Internet celebration and awareness held on September 22. The stated goal of founder Susan P. Crawford is for OneWebDay to foster and make visible a global constituency that cares about the future of the Internet.
The first OneWebDay was held on September 22, 2006. The idea was created by Susan P. Crawford, who was an ICANN board member at the time, in association with other Internet figures such as Doc Searls, David Weinberger, David R. Johnson, Mary Hodder, and David Isenberg, who would all join the board of what would eventually become a 501(c)3 corporation – OneWebDay Inc. A website was established and a global network of events promoted. The 2006 OneWebDay's anchor celebration featured speakers Craig Newmark, Scott Heiferman, and Drew Schutte in New York City's Battery Park.
By 2008 OneWebDay had grown to more than 30 international events. In Washington Square Park, New York City, speakers included Crawford, John Perry Barlow, Jonathan Zittrain, Craig Newmark, and Lawrence Lessig.
In May 2009, after founder Crawford had joined the Obama administration, Mitch Kapor took over chairmanship of OneWebDay. It was also announced that funding had been granted by the Ford Foundation. A ning-based organizing network was set up.
In August 2010, a number of veterans[clarification needed] took over organizing the 2010 event on a volunteer basis. A new website and network was established. Events took place in several cities including New York City, Melbourne, Kolkata, Chennai, London, and Pachuca.
In 2012 the theme of OneWebDay was advancing local content.
In 2014 the OneWebDay theme was Recognizing Core Internet Values, and promotes the viewing of three videos: a TEDx talk by Dave Moskowitz, "The Internet Belongs to Everyone" from the United States State Department, and the Dynamic Coalition on Core Internet Values at the 2014 Internet Governance Forum.
In 2015 the theme is 'Connecting the Next Billion", aligned with the current IGF Intersessional Program, and promotes the viewing of a speech by Catherine Novelli – 'Connecting The World' at the USA-IGF in July 2015.
- "Rocketboom Interview: Susan Crawford of OneWebDay.org". August 20, 2007. Retrieved 2010-09-03.
- OneWebDayWiki – OneWebDayWiki. Archive.onewebday.org. Retrieved on 2013-09-22.
- MacFie, Joly (2009-01-21). "One Web Day – NYC 2008 – Washington Sq. Park – Sep 22 2008:". webcast. punkcast. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- "New Leadership for OneWebDay". Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- my.onewebday.org (archived)
- "OneWebDay Joins Forces with Mozilla Drumbeat – 364 Extra Days to Build an Open Web!". Retrieved 2010-09-03.
- ISOC-NY #OneWebDay event: Bob Frankston – “Infrastructure commons – the future of connectivity” #broadband | ISOC-NY NOTICE BOARD. Isoc-ny.org (2011-09-23). Retrieved on 2013-09-22.
- OneWebDay.org (archived)
- Carl Gahnberg. "Connecting the Next Billion". intgovforum.org.
- OneWebDay.org – official site