One Drop Foundation
Arts and culture
One Drop uses circus arts, folklore, popular theatre, music, dance and visual arts to raise awareness of water-related issues.
One Drop has projects in Central America, India and West Africa.
Awards and recognition
One Drop has received the following recognition:
- "Water for Life" UN-Water Best Water Best Practices Award in the category “Best participatory, communication, awareness-raising and education practices”
- International Water Association Project Innovation Award in the Development category.
In its 2012 Annual Report, One Drop reported raising nearly $52 million over the previous five years. Funds were allocated to programs designed to provide permanent safe water to over 340,000 people.
In 2011, Laliberté teamed with Caesars Entertainment, owner of the World Series of Poker (WSOP), to launch a major poker tournament to benefit the organization. The One Drop tournament would be held as a competition within the larger WSOP series of tournaments held each summer in Las Vegas.
The first tournament, known as The Big One for One Drop, was held as part of the 2012 WSOP, and had a record per person buy-in of US$1 million. The WSOP waived its normal 10% rake of the entry fees, and $111,111 of each buy-in went to the Foundation. The 48 seats available in the event were filled, creating a poker record first prize of $18.3 million and a donation to One Drop of $5.33 million. Caesars Interactive Entertainment CEO Mitch Garber, ineligible to play, donated $111,111 while One Drop founder Laliberté donated his entire fifth-place winnings of $1.83 million, for a total donation of $7.28 million from this single tournament game.
As part of the initial 2012 event, Caesars announced that One Drop has become an official charity of the WSOP, and it encouraged all players who cashed during any tournament at the 2012 WSOP to donate 1% of their winnings to One Drop. Labelled the "All in for One Drop", the 2013 campaign saw 458 players contribute $0.25 million of their winnings from tournaments held during the 2013 WSOP.
- Annual Report 2009, ONE DROP
- Annual Report 2012, ONE DROP
- "WSOP Announces $1 Million Buy-In Tournament in Conjunction with One Drop" (Press release). World Series of Poker. June 2, 2011. Retrieved April 12, 2012.
- Dalla, Nolan (June 30, 2012). "The Biggest One—World's Most Spectacular Poker Extravaganza Starts Sunday". World Series of Poker. Retrieved July 3, 2012.
- Dalla, Nolan (July 3, 2012). "Antonio Esfandiari Pulls Off Amazing Trick by Winning One Drop". WSOP.com. Retrieved July 4, 2012.
- "One Drop Designated as an Official Charity of WSOP" (Press release). World Series of Poker. May 22, 2012. Retrieved May 25, 2012.
- "BIG ONE FOR ONE DROP RAISES OVER $4.6 MILLION FOR CHARITY" (Press release). Caesers Interactive Entertainment. 2014-07-01. Retrieved 2014-09-01.