One Good Reason (album)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|One Good Reason|
|Studio album by Paul Carrack|
|Paul Carrack chronology|
One Good Reason is the third solo studio album by the English singer-songwriter Paul Carrack, then a member of the supergroup Mike + The Mechanics. It was originally released in November 1987, on the label Chrysalis, five years after his previous album, Suburban Voodoo.
Mike + The Mechanics drummer Peter Van Hooke and songwriter and record producer Christopher Neil also appear on the album, serving in the same roles they did for the Mechanics. The album includes two of Carrack's highest charting solo hits in the US, "Don't Shed a Tear" (which became a Top 10 hit, peaking at No. 9) and "One Good Reason" (which peaked at No. 28).
AllMusic's Mike DeGagne calls "Don't Shed a Tear" "the album's highlight, bolstered by its subtle, laid-back groove with a stop and start tempo which comes across as unique to a certain extent." But he castigated the rest of the record, saying that "while the songs are well-written lyrically, they're dispensed rather half-heartedly from a musical standpoint" and "It's apparent in tracks like 'Fire With Fire' and 'Give Me a Chance' that Paul Carrack has reached the point of pop pedestrianism."
Nevertheless, three additional singles charted from the album, including a cover of the Jackie DeShannon classic, "When You Walk in the Room". The album's title track, another one of these singles also cracked the Top 30 on the US chart.
- "One Good Reason" (Carrack, Chris Difford) – 3:19
- "When You Walk in the Room" (Jackie DeShannon) – 3:31
- "Button Off My Shirt" (Billy Livsey, Graham Lyle) – 3:46
- "Give Me a Chance" (Carrack) – 4:51
- "Double It Up" – 3:44
- "Don't Shed a Tear" (Rob Friedman, Eddie Schwartz) – 4:55
- "Fire with Fire" (Carrack, Christopher Neil) – 4:00
- "Here I Am" – 4:00
- "Collrane" (Carrack, Neil) – 4:41
- "(Do I Figure) In Your Life" – 2:20
Credits are adapted from the album's liner notes.
- Paul Carrack – lead vocals
- Tim Renwick – guitars
- Paul Wickens – keyboards
- Peter Van Hooke – drums
- Frank Ricotti – saxophone; percussion
- Jackie Rawe – backing vocals
- Linda Taylor – backing vocals
- Production team
- Paul Carrack USA chart history, Billboard.com. Retrieved December 16, 2011.
- allmusic review
- "Rob Friedman- Credited as co-writer for "Don't Shed a Tear"". Retrieved December 27, 2010.
- One Good Reason liner notes. Chrysalis Records. 1987.