One Life Stand (song)
|"One Life Stand"|
|Single by Hot Chip|
|from the album One Life Stand|
|B-side||"Build a House"|
|Released||30 November 2009|
|Hot Chip singles chronology|
"One Life Stand" is a single by Hot Chip from their 2010 album of the same name. It was released digitally through the iTunes Store on 30 November 2009. The physical release date was 1 February 2010. Vocalist Alexis Taylor said of the song, "I'm talking about turning a one-night stand into someone's whole life and I think that's quite a nice thing to say".
Pitchfork Media reported that Hot Chip had announced through Twitter that they were planning to film a music video to accompany the song on 30 November 2009. The video shows the band performing in a reflection of a silver ball on the ceiling of a square room, shot with a rotating camera. Matthew Richardson of Prefix Magazine stated that "there doesn't really seem to be some kind of conceptual basis" for the video "but Hot Chip manages to be entertaining all the same as they horse around in a square room" looking "a little like dorks, but they also look cool doing it". The video was shot by Dutch movie maker Roel Wouters. About half of the video was shot by the bandmembers themselves using handycams.
Ben Baglin of FACT Magazine stated that "within seconds of hearing [the song], you know they’ve basically struck gold" and described the song as having an "outwardly coarse, toytown aesthetic" that "masks the incredible production and musicianship at work [...] like the slinky keyboard harmonies and snapclaps in the verses, the way the chiming, ‘Josephine’-esque guitars lock in for the chorus". The Guardian journalist, Louis Pattison, described the lyrics "Tell me where you've been to/ Nowhere that you shouldn't do" as being given by Alexis Taylor like orders from "your dad, in his car, wearing his pyjamas" and contrasted it with the chorus which he described as "a sweet-hearted hymn to monogamy, sung by a teddy bear who found honey at the heart of the rave."
- "One Life Stand" – 5:21
- "One Life Stand" – 5:21
- "Build a House" – 4:13
Digital single release
- "One Life Stand" - 3:17
Promotional 7" release
- "One Life Stand"
- "Do Not Wait" (non-album track)
Following the digital release of the single on 1 February 2010, "One Life Stand" entered the UK Singles Chart on 7 February 2010, at a current peak of #41.
|UK Singles Chart||41|
- Dombal, Ryan (30 December 2009). "New Hot Chip: "One Life Stand"". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 30 January 2010.
- Richardson, Matthew (11 December 2009). "New Hot Chip: "One Life Stand"". Prefix Magazine. Retrieved 30 January 2010.
- [http://roelwouters.com/hot-chip-one-life-stand "Hot Chip � One Life Stand"]. Retrieved 2014-01-11. replacement character in
|title=at position 10 (help)
- Baglin, Ben (29 January 2010). "Hot Chip: 'One Life Stand'". Fact Magazine. Retrieved 30 January 2010.
- Pattison, Louis (30 January 2010). "Music: This week's releases - Pick of the Week - Hot Chip - One Life Stand (EMI)". The Guardian. Retrieved 30 January 2010.