Conviction (Aiden album)
|Studio album by Aiden|
|Released||August 21, 2007|
|Studio||Robert Lang Studios in Seattle, WA|
|Genre||Alternative rock, gothic rock, emo|
|Singles from Conviction|
Conviction is the third studio album by American rock band Aiden.
Composition and recording
The album has marked a completely different musical direction for the band, departing from the punk rock sound from their first two albums for a lighter sound.
Speaking to Kerrang! in 2009, Francis explained:
Every record that we've done, being the main songwriter for the band, has been a reflection of what's going on in my personal life. So yeah, Nightmare was pissed but by the time we did Conviction I'd achieved so many of the things that I've always dreamed of doing: walking out on the main stage of the Warped Tour, playing all summer long with NOFX, touring with HIM, played Download in front of 50,000 people. With Conviction I wasn't pissed. I wasn't angry and that came through in the music. I was a bit bummed that some Aiden fans turned away from it because I was a little bit more melodic or a little bit different from what they had been expecting from us but I don't sit down and think, 'If I write this it will sell bucketloads' because I wouldn't be able to sleep at night thinking that way.
On January 15, 2007, the band began pre-production. By this point, the band had 14 songs written. Recording was finished by mid-February. Francis revealed that the album would be "our biggest and most ambitious record to date."
From mid February to early April, the band went on the 2007 edition of the Taste of Chaos tour. In July and August, the band went on a West Coast tour alongside From Autumn to Ashes, I Am Ghost and Night Kills the Day. "One Love" was made available for streaming on July 23. "Teenage Queen" was made available for streaming on August 8. On August 14, a trailer was posted for the music video for "One Love". The album was released August 21 through Victory. Best Buy editions of the album included two bonus tracks: "Here Lies the Waste" and "So Far Away". On September 11, "One Love" was released as a single in the UK. Digital version included "Here Lies the Waste" and "So Far Away" as B-sides, while the 7" vinyl version included "Here Lies the Waste" as the B-side. In September and October, the group went on a headlining tour of the U.S. with support from Drop Dead, Gorgeous, Still Remains and 1997. Also in October, the band toured Australia and New Zealand as part of the Taste of Chaos Down Under tour.
From late January to late March, the band embarked on the World by Storm Tour across the US. On various parts of the tour, the band was supported by Madina Lake, Schoolyard Heroes, My American Heart and Farewell to Freeway and Ivoryline. "Moment" was released to radio on March 18. On May 22, it was announced that guitarist Jake Wambold had left the band.
|Drowned in Sound||link|
The album has been one of the band's most commercially successful albums to date.
All tracks written by wiL Francis.
|1.||"The Opening Departure"||2:00|
|2.||"She Will Love You"||4:21|
|8.||"Son of Lies"||3:22|
|11.||"The Sky Is Falling"||3:07|
|Best Buy bonus tracks|
|12.||"Here Lies the Waste"||3:08|
|13.||"So Far Away"||3:21|
|US Billboard 200||54|
|US Independent Albums||5|
|US Rock Albums||15|
|US Hard Rock Albums||6|
|US Alternative Albums||15|
- wiL Francis - lead vocals, piano
- Angel Ibarra - lead guitar
- Jake Wambold - rhythm guitar
- Nick Wiggins - bass, backing vocals
- Jake Davison - drums, percussion
- Griffiths, Mark. Kerrang! #1261, May 16, 2009. Treasure Chest. An Intimate Portrait Of Life In Rock. wiL Francis, p. 58
- "Aiden announce album title, recording plans". Alternative Press. January 8, 2007. Retrieved August 8, 2016.
- "Dates for Taste Of Chaos ‘07 revealed". Alternative Press. December 1, 2006. Retrieved August 8, 2016.
- "Aiden/From Autumn To Ashes/I Am Ghost tour announced". Alternative Press. June 11, 2007. Retrieved August 24, 2016.
- "Aiden post first song off Conviction". Alternative Press. July 23, 2007. Retrieved August 25, 2016.
- "Aiden post another song off Conviction". Alternative Press. Alternative Press Magazine, Inc. August 8, 2007. Retrieved March 18, 2017.
- "Aiden post "One Love" trailer". Alternative Press. Alternative Press Magazine, Inc. August 14, 2007. Retrieved March 18, 2017.
- Best Buy page detailing bonus tracks
- "Aiden to release single in UK". Alternative Press. Alternative Press Magazine, Inc. September 11, 2007. Retrieved March 19, 2017.
- "Aiden confirm headlining tour with Drop Dead, Gorgeous". Alternative Press. July 19, 2007. Retrieved August 25, 2016.
- "The Used, Rise Against, Aiden on Taste Of Chaos Down Under". Alternative Press. June 8, 2007. Retrieved August 21, 2016.
- "Aiden to headline World By Storm tour". Alternative Press. Alternative Press Magazine, Inc. January 22, 2008. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- "AllAccess.com Alternative eWeekly". AllAccess. March 11, 2008. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Aiden lose guitarist, will continue as quartet". Alternative Press. Alternative Press Magazine, Inc. May 22, 2008. Retrieved July 9, 2017.