One Monkey Don't Stop No Show (song)
"One Monkey Don't Stop No Show" is the title of several different songs, mostly in the R&B genre, deriving from a common African-American phrase with the general meaning of "one setback should not impede progress". The first known recording with this title was by Stick McGhee and His Buddies in 1950. Commercially successful songs with this title were recorded by Joe Tex (1965) and Honey Cone (1971).
Stick McGhee song
Big Maybelle song
Big Maybelle recorded another song of the same title in 1955. It was issued as the B-side of her original version of "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On". The song was written by Charlie Singleton and Rose Marie McCoy. A version of this song was recorded by Bette Midler on her 1998 album Bathhouse Betty.
Joe Tex song
A different same-titled song was both written and recorded by Joe Tex in 1965, and reached No. 20 in the US Billboard R&B chart. In 1966, it was covered by The Animals on their UK album Animalisms and its US counterpart, Animalization. They also performed it on BBC Radio and on several live shows. A cover version of the Joe Tex song was also recorded by Terry Knight and the Pack in 1967.
Honey Cone song
In 1971, the all-girl group Honey Cone took a song with the same title to No. 5 on the Billboard R&B chart and No. 15 on the Billboard Hot 100. It also charted in Australia and Canada. This song was written by General Johnson and Greg Perry. It appeared on the group's Soulful Tapestry album (Hot Wax HA-707).
- Hank Ballard and the Midnighters recorded a song of the same title, written by Sonny Thompson, in 1964.
- Jessie Rogers recorded another song with the same title, written by Al Johnson and Richard Cobb, in 1983.
- Gillian Welch recorded "One Monkey", written by Welch and David Rawlings, on their 2003 album, Soul Journey.
- Goodie Mob recorded a track "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show" as the title track of their 2004 album.
- Matt Rector, "Yeah, But Do You Know What That Song Is Actually About? #1: One Monkey Don't Stop No Show", Old School Record Review, January 21, 2014. Retrieved 9 July 2016
- "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show - Georgian Festival Orchestra,Sticks McGhee | Song Info". AllMusic. 2004-05-25. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "Atlantic Records 78rpm numerical listing discography". 78discography.com. Retrieved 2016-07-18.
- Cub Koda. "The Okeh Sessions - Big Maybelle | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- Big Maybelle, "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show", 45cat.com. Retrieved 10 July 2016
- "Joe Tex - One Monkey Don't Stop No Show / Build Your Love (On A Solid Foundation) (Vinyl)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- Joel Whitburn, The Billboard Book of Top 40 R&B and Hip Hop Hits, Billboard Books, New York, 2006, ISBN 978-0823082834
- "The Animals - Animalization (Vinyl, LP, Album) at Discogs". Discogs.com. 2014-02-01. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- Terry Knight and the Pack, "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show", 45cat.com. Retrieved 11 July 2016
- David Kent (1993). Australian Charts Book 1970–1992. Australian Chart Book Pty Ltd, Turramurra, N.S.W. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "CAN Charts > Honey Cone". RPM. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "Honey Cone - One Monkey Don't Stop No Show (Vinyl) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "Honey Cone - Soulful Tapestry (Vinyl, LP, Album)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2016-07-18.
- Hank Ballard "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show", 45cat. Retrieved 11 July 2016
- Jessie Rogers, "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show", Discogs.com Retrieved 11 July 2016
- Zac Johnson (2003-06-03). "Soul Journey - Gillian Welch | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-07-09.