One Night in the Tropics
|One Night in the Tropics|
|Directed by||A. Edward Sutherland|
|Produced by||Leonard Spigelgass|
|Written by||Gertrude Purcell|
|Music by||Jerome Kern|
|Cinematography||Joseph A. Valentine|
|Edited by||Milton Carruth|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
One Night in the Tropics is a 1940 comedy film which was the film debut of Abbott and Costello. They are listed as supporting actors but steal the picture with five of their classic routines, including an abbreviated version of "Who's On First?" Their work earned them a two-picture deal with Universal, and their next film, Buck Privates, made them bona fide movie stars. Songs in the film were by Jerome Kern with lyrics by Dorothy Fields. The film is based on a 1914 novel, Love Insurance by Earl Derr Biggers, the creator of Charlie Chan.
Jim "Lucky" Moore (Allan Jones), an insurance salesman, comes up with a novel policy for his friend, Steve (Robert Cummings): a 'love insurance policy', that will pay out $1-million if Steve does not marry his fiancée, Cynthia (Nancy Kelly). Encouraged by Jim's argument that Jim has never had to pay out on a policy so that the marriage is a sure thing, Steve accepts. The upcoming marriage is jeopardized by Steve's ex-girlfriend, Mickey (Peggy Moran), and Cynthia's disapproving Aunt Kitty. The policy is underwritten by a nightclub owner, Roscoe (William Frawley), who sends two enforcers – Abbott and Costello – to ensure that the wedding occurs as planned. Everyone involved in the situation winds up sailing or flying to San Marcos (a fictional South American country), where another complication arises, when Lucky falls for Cynthia. Lucky winds up marrying Cynthia, but Roscoe does not have to pay the $1-million because Steve ends up marrying Mickey.
- Allan Jones as Jim Moore
- Nancy Kelly as Cynthia Merrick
- Bud Abbott as Abbott
- Lou Costello as Costello
- Robert Cummings as Steve Harper
- Mary Boland as Aunt Kitty Marblehead
- William Frawley as Roscoe
- Peggy Moran as Mickey Fitzgerald
- Leo Carrillo as Escobar
- Don Alvarado as Rodolfo
- Nina Orla as Nina
- Edgar Dearing as Cop with Black Eye (uncredited)
- Larry Steers as Desk Clerk (uncredited)
One Night in the Tropics was filmed from August 26 through September 30, 1940 under the film's working title, Riviera, an unproduced Jerome Kern musical from 1937 originally planned for Danielle Darrieux;
It was hoped that the film would ease Universal's financial plight. It did little to help, but led to a string of Abbott and Costello films that did save Universal.
It had several working titles before Universal settled on One Night in the Tropics, including Moonlight in the Tropics, Love Insurance, and Caribbean Holiday.
Just prior to the beginning of production, on August 21, 1940, Jones and Cummings were guests on Abbott and Costello's radio show and promoted the film.
This film has been released twice on DVD. The first time, on The Best of Abbott and Costello Volume One on February 10, 2004, and again on October 28, 2008 as part of Abbott and Costello: The Complete Universal Pictures Collection.
- "United States Court of Appeals For the Ninth Circuit – Universal vs Cummings 1944". Internet Archive. p. 94.
- Furmanek, Bob & Ron Palumbo (1991), Abbott and Costello in Hollywood, New York: Perigee Books, ISBN 978-0-399-51605-4
- "United States Court of Appeals For the Ninth Circuit – Cummings vs Universal 1944". Internet Archive. p. 565.
- Green, Stanley (1999) Hollywood Musicals Year by Year (2nd ed.), pub. Hal Leonard Corporation ISBN 0-634-00765-3 page 98
- Hemming, Roy (1999), The Melody Lingers On: The Great Songwriters and Their Movie Musicals, Newmarket Press, p. 105, ISBN 978-1-55704-380-1
- "SCREEN NEWS HERE AND IN HOLLYWOOD". New York Times. July 31, 1940. ProQuest 105290980.
- Nollen, Scott Allen, Abbott and Costello on the Home Front: A Critical Study of the Wartime Films (2009) Retrieved from https://books.google.com/books?id=rloU-4ntD_EC&pg=PA10&lpg=PA10&dq=moonlight+in+the+tropics+costello&source=bl&ots=wPo1p_7izp&sig=vfxte920pLnBl-WZIZlA7DbA4P4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_pKDvwN_aAhUGTN8KHaJ0CesQ6AEIazAN#v=onepage&q=moonlight%20in%20the%20tropics%20costello&f=false