One Ok Rock
|ONE OK ROCK|
|Associated acts||MY FIRST STORY, NEWS, Simple Plan, Pay Money To My Pain, Ally & Diaz, Crossfaith, SiM, Coldrain, Against the Current, Sleeping With Sirens, Twenty One Pilots, Issues, We Came as Romans, All Time Low, FT Island|
- 1 History
- 2 Musical style
- 3 Band members
- 4 Japanese Discography
- 5 U.S. Discography
- 6 Music Videos
- 7 Tours
- 8 Awards
- 9 References
- 10 External links
2005-2006: Formation and Early Days
The foundation for One Ok Rock began when Toru Yamashita, then a high school student, wanted to start a band. He told his friend Ryota Kohama, a fellow member of the hip hop dance group Heads, to learn the bass and asked Alex Onizawa, who was their senior in school to join. He asked his classmate Tomo to play drums, who then left the band in 2006 to pursue an acting career. At that time, Taka Moriuchi was playing with another band named Chivalry of Music; however, Taka didn't enjoy playing with them, so Toru insisted that he join One Ok Rock instead. After signing with a label, Amuse, Inc. Tomo left the band because his parents didn't want their son to pursue that line of work. Tomoya Kanki had been teaching at ESP (Musical Academy) and was already in a band that wasn't going well. He then joined One Ok Rock in 2006, but only became an official member when they debuted in 2007.
The band's name, One Ok Rock, comes from "one o'clock", the time that the band used to practice on weekends. They chose to play at one o'clock in the morning because it was cheaper to use the rehearsal space during such hours. However, noticing that the Japanese language made no distinction between r's and l's, they changed "o'clock" to "o'crock" (or "o'krock"), which was then separated to become "ok rock".
2007-2009: Debut Album and Old Formation
Their debut single, Naihishinsho, reached number 48 on the Oricon Charts and sold 15,000 copies. Their second single, Yume Yume, followed that success and charted at number 43. After those singles, they released their debut album Zeitakubyō in 2007 and had their first tour, the Tokyo-Osaka-Nagoya Quattro Tour. They released their the second album Beam of Light in May 2008. In an interview with Rockin'On Magazine in June 2012, ONE OK ROCK said they didn't count this album as an album, but rather as a part of growing up as a band. When they made the album, they hadn't been in the right mood, but felt that they had to make it to grow as a band. The band came up with many sound sources and ended up making a punk album. The album's confused origins were the reason why they wouldn't play any songs from Beam of Light in live performances until now. Shortly after releasing Beam of Light, they performed a gig at Shibuya AX.
They had planned to release two albums in that one year, so they released Kanjou Effects in November 2008. At this point the band had gained more experience and were able to do some more serious recording. They settled into the western sound they loved and followed by replacing all their engineers and introducing their music to new producers. This led to some division within the band - Taka and Alex in particular disagreed about how to make this album.
On April 5, 2009, Alex was arrested for groping the leg of a twenty-one-year-old female student on a train. He admitted to the charges and the case was settled out of court. The band reached their weakest point at this time. Ryota intended to leave bass and take up guitar. They felt it was impossible for them to add a new member. The band's next single "Around the World Shounen", which was planned for a May 6 release and to be used as the theme song for the TV drama God Hand Teru, and their nationwide tour were both cancelled. In May 2009, it was announced that One Ok Rock would continue on without Alex, who went back to the United States. Toru took his place as lead guitar, and the band re-arranged their songs to be played for one guitar.
2010-2012: New Formation, Niche Syndrome and Zankyo Reference
With the new four-member formation, the band released the single "Kanzen Kankaku Dreamer" on February 3, 2010. It reached 9th on the Weekly Oricon Chart. They released their fourth studio album titled Niche Syndrome on June 9, 2010. The band had their tour This is my own judgement! in five Zepp music halls across the nation in 6 days, starting Sendai, Osaka, Nagoya, Fukuoka and ending in a 2-day concert in Tokyo. The second part the tour took place at sixteen different venues until 11 December 2010. They held a final performance in Nippon Budokan, Tokyo on 28 November, followed by the release of a concert DVD "This is My Budokan?!" on 16 February 2011. On August 6, 7 and 8, ONE OK ROCK headlined Rock in Japan Festival and Summer Sonic Festival, followed by Rising Sun Rock Festival, Monster Bash, Treasure05X, Mad Ollie, Countdown Japan 2010/2011, and Radio Crazy.
Their next single, "Answer is Near", was released on February 16, 2011. The Answer is Alive 2011 tour took place in six Zepp music halls and three other venues from April to June 2011. The band released their first double A-side single "Re:make/No Scared" on July 20, 2011, one of which's songs was the main theme for the Black Rock Shooter: The Game video game. The band's fifth album, Zankyo Reference, was released on October 5, 2011. ONE OK ROCK announced fourteen dates between November and December 2011 for the Zankyo Reference Tour. The band also announced their final tour for this album as a two-day concert in Yokohama Arena on 21 and 22 January 2012. This was their first time playing in Yokohama Arena, the biggest venue in Kantō region. The concert was sold out with more than 24,000 attendees. Later, the documentary of the Zankyo Reference Tour and the performance from the second night in Yokohama Arena was released on Blu-ray and DVD on 30 May 2012.
In 2011, ONE OK ROCK headlined many music festivals, including Jisan Valley Rock Festival in South Korea. In July the band headlined SETSTOCK 2011 and Jisan Valley Rock Festival, followed by Rock in Japan Festival, Rising Sun Rock Festival, Summer Sonic Festival, Monster Bash, Sky Jamboree, and Space Shower's Sweet Love Shower. At the end of the year, they headlined Radio Crazy and Countdown Japan once more.
The band declared their first overseas tour in Start Walking The World on May and June 2012, covering Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and Singapore. 9mm Parabellum Bullet, Mao Abe, Hello Sleepwalkers, and Crossfaith were the guest performers of their four concert dates in Japan. They headlined Rock in Japan Festival on the main stage, as well as Summer Sonic 2012, alongside Green Day, Franz Ferdinand and Rihanna. They also headlined Oga Namahage Rock Festival, Rising Sun Rock Festival, and Sweet Love Shower.11
2013-2014: Jinsei×Boku= and Worldwide Tour
Their next single, "The Beginning", was chosen as the theme song for the live action movie adaptation of the Rurouni Kenshin manga, and was released on August 22, 2012, reaching number 5 on the Oricon charts. Later in 2013, "The Beginning" won two awards - "Best Rock Video" from the MTV Video Music Awards Japan 2013 and a second award as Best Your Choice in Space Shower Music Video Awards. Currently "The Beginning" is the most popular song by the band, having reached more than 50 million views in their YouTube channel, and became the most watched Japanese rock video, further skyrocketing ONE OK ROCK's popularity.
The single "Deeper Deeper/Nothing Helps" was released on January 9, 2013 and hit 2nd place on the Oricon charts. The song "Nothing Helps" was used for the Japanese version of the video game DmC: Devil May Cry, and "Deeper Deeper" was used for the commercial of Suzuki Swift Sport in Japan.
Their sixth full-length Jinsei×Boku= was released on March 6, 2013 and managed to reach second place on the Oricon weekly chart.
In October 2013 the band went on their first tour outside Asia and visited Europe for five concerts. Four out of the five concerts in Europe were sold out almost immediately. In February 2014 they visited the US to hold two concerts in New York and Los Angeles and added two more dates in Philadelphia and Toronto in May. They also performed at Rock on the Range in Columbus, Ohio, their first festival outside Asia. In June and July 2014 they joined VANS WARPED TOUR 2014 and performed in eighteen cities in North America. On May 16, the documentary film about their last Europe and Asia Tour, "FOOL COOL ROCK" debuted and played for a limited time of four weeks at select theaters. This movie was directed by Hiroyuki Nakano. The documentary FOOL COOL ROCK will be released on DVD and Blu-ray in November 2014, and will include an extra screening from Bangkok, Thailand and Hong Kong.
2014-2015: 35xxxv, World Tour and U.S Debut
On January 12, 2014 their album producer John Feldmann tweeted that ONE OK ROCK had already started recording their new album. Their first single from the forthcoming album, "Mighty Long Fall", is the theme song for the movie sequel of Rurouni Kenshin. ONE OK ROCK released new single "Mighty Long Fall/Decision" in July 30, 2014. The song "Decision" is the theme song for their documentary film "FOOL COOL ROCK". A music video for "Decision" released in August 20, 2014 contains a compilation footage from their last tour in Europe and Asia. They also revealed the theme song for another movie sequel of Rurouni Kenshin entitled "Heartache".
In September 2014, ONE OK ROCK held a 2-day stadium concert in Yokohama Stadium in front of 60,000 people called "Mighty Long Fall Live at Yokohama Stadium 2014". This was their first time performing in a stadium. They played more than twenty songs, including three new songs and one cover of A Thousand Miles by Vanessa Carlton.
ONE OK ROCK announced USA, South America and Europe Tour in late 2014. They performed at Knotfest, in both Japan and United States, with an additional two dates for the United States in October. They visited Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Peru and Mexico for South America in November and France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Belgium, United Kingdom and Russia for Europe in December. They performed alongside Ghost Town in the US and UK, and with Tonight Alive and Mallory Knox for most dates in Europe. On November 27, they were a guest performer in Hoobastank's Japan tour.
Around December 16, 2014, the band revealed the cover and name of their new Japanese upcoming album, 35xxxv.
In April 2015, they opened alongside Finch for Yellowcard's U.S. tour. Following that, the band returned to Japan for their extensive album tour starting from May to September. The final concerts included bands like Issues and Against the Current. In July 2015, ONE OK ROCK officially announced that they signed with Warner Bros. Records and planned to re-release 35xxxv as a deluxe edition containing all English tracks on September 25, 2015. The band is set to have a North American tour in fall 2015 with a few selected cities as headlining artists, but will spend the majority of their time as the opening act for All Time Low and Sleeping with Sirens. ONE OK ROCK will also have world tour in Europe and Asia to promote their album.
On the week of October 17, 2015, 35xxxv (Deluxe Edition) debuted at #20 on Billboard's Heatseekers Albums and its highest peak position is at #17. This chart is for new and upcoming musicians, which is usually a stepping stone towards Billboard 200 or Billboard Hot 100.
ONE OK ROCK's basic influences were Good Charlotte and Ellegarden, the group's initial idea begun when Toru wanted to start a rock band and invited Ryota to form a rock band. Good Charlotte influences are seen on their first album. After the scandal of Alex Onizawa for groping a high school student, the bands decided to continue without Alex.
In their sixth album Jinsei×Boku=, they expressed how this album was influenced by Linkin Park's and Coldrain's screaming and yell-rapping. Their new seventh album 35XXXV, was produced along with producer John Feldmann whom also worked with 5 Seconds of Summer, The Used, and Sleeping With Sirens. The album was described as "too Americanized" by international fans, yet it managed to get the first place on the Oricon Album weekly ranking being the first time the band achieved the first place. Fans are in constant dispute over their dynamic music style change as new albums release different sounds. However, many remain loyal to their power of producing great music regardless of what type of music they produce. "The passion of a musician is what matters", as once stated by Taka himself during an interview.
Overall One Ok Rock greatest's influences are Ellegarden, Enter Shikari, Linkin Park, Simple Plan, Pay Money to My Pain, Foo Fighters, Good Charlotte, Nirvana, Green Day, Blink-182, The Smashing Pumpkins, Sleeping With Sirens, and The 1975.
- Current members
- Ryota (小浜 良太 Kohama Ryōta?) – bass guitar (2005–present)
- Taka (森内 貴寬 Moriuchi Takahiro?) – lead vocals (2005–present)
- Toru (山下 亨 Yamashita Tōru?) – guitars, backing vocals (2005–present)
- Tomoya (神吉 智也 Kanki Tomoya?) – drums, percussion (2006–present)
- Former members
- Tomo (小柳 友 Koyanagi Yuu?) – drums, percussion (2005–2006)
- Alex (鬼澤 アレクサンダー 礼門 Onizawa Alexander Reimon?) – lead guitar (2005–2009)
|2008||Beam of Light
|2006||One Ok Rock
|Keep It Real
|Oricon Singles Charts
|Billboard Japan Hot 100*
|RIAJ* / Recochoku
|2007||"Naihi Shinsho" (内秘心書 Keep It Inside?)||48||—||—||15,000||Zeitakubyō|
|"Yume Yume" (努努-ゆめゆめ- Absolutely?)||43||—||—||9,200|
|"Et Cetera" (エトセトラ Eto Setora?)||29||—||—||6,700|
|2008||"Hitsuzen Maker" (必然メーカー Necessary Maker?) †||—||—||—||—||Beam of Light|
|"Koi no Aibō Kokoro no Cupid" (恋ノアイボウ心ノクピド Love Companion, Cupid of the Heart?) †||—||—||—||—||Kanjō Effect|
|2010||"Kanzen Kankaku Dreamer" (完全感覚Dreamer Perfect Sensation Dreamer?)||9||45||53||17,000||Niche Syndrome|
|"Jibun Rock" (じぶんROCK Rock of Yourself?) ‡||—||—||98||—|
|2011||"Answer is Near" (アンサイズニア)||6||13||27||38,000||Zankyo Reference|
|"the same as..."||—||—||—||—|
|2013||"Deeper Deeper/Nothing Helps"||2||3||1||62,321|
|2014||"Mighty Long Fall/Decision"||2||2||1||74,701||35XXXV|
|2015||"The Way Back - Japanese Version"||-||-||-||-||35XXXV (DELUXE EDITION)|
"—" denotes releases that did not chart.
|2008||LIVE DVD "Yononaka Shredder" (LIVE DVD "世の中シュレッダー")
|2011||THIS IS MY BUDOKAN?! 2010.11.28
|2012||"Zankyo Reference" TOUR in YOKOHAMA ARENA
|2013||ONE OK ROCK 2013 "Jinsei x Kimi ="
|2014||"FOOL COOL ROCK!" Movie DVD
|2015||ONE OK ROCK 2014 "Mighty Long Fall at Yokohama Stadium"
||2||DVD = 47,921
BD = 22,250
- 35xxxv (Deluxe Edition) (2015)
Official music videos
- The Way Back (Japanese Ver.)
- Last Dance
- Cry Out (35xxxv Deluxe Edition)
- Cry Out
- Mighty Long Fall
- Be the Light
- Clock Strikes
- Deeper Deeper
- The Beginning
- NO SCARED
- アンサイズニア (Answer is Near)
- じぶんROCK (Jibun ROCK)
- 完全感覚Dreamer (Kanzen Kankaku Dreamer)
- 恋ノアイボウ心ノクピド (Koi No Aibou Kokoro No Cupid)
- 必然メーカー (Hitsuzen Maker)
- エトセトラ (Etcetera)
- 努努ーゆめゆめー (Yume Yume)
- 内秘心書 (Naihi Shinsho)
- Keep it real
- もしも太陽がなくなったとしたら・・・ (Moshimo Taiyou ga Nakunatta Toshitara)
Featured music videos
- Against the Current (feat. Taka from ONE OK ROCK) - Dreaming Alone
- Simple Plan (feat. Taka from ONE OK ROCK) - SUMMER PARADISE
- Grown Kids (feat. Taka & Megan Joy) - Bottle Rocket
- Pay Money To My Pain (feat. Taka from ONE OK ROCK) - Voice
- World Shredder (世の中シュレッダー) (2007)
- ONE OK ROCK TOUR 2008 “WHAT TIME IS IT NOW? (2008)
- ONE OK ROCK 2009 “Emotion Effect” TOUR (2009)
- “This is my own judgment” TOUR (2010)
- Answer is aLive TOUR (2011)
- ONE OK ROCK 2011-2012“残響リファレンス”TOUR (2011-2012)
- “The Beginning” TOUR (2012)
- ONE OK ROCK 2013 “人生×君=”TOUR (2013)
- ONE OK ROCK 2014 "Mighty Long Fall at Yokohama Stadium" (2014)
- ONE OK ROCK 2015 "35xxxv" JAPAN TOUR (2015)
- “Start Walking The World Tour” (2012)
- “Who are you??Who are we??” TOUR (2013)
- Vans Warped Tour with Various Artists (2014)
- ONE OK ROCK 2014 South America & Europe Tour (2014)
- YELLOWCARD Tour with ONE OK ROCK and Finch as opening acts (2015)
- Back to the Future Hearts Tour with All Time Low, Sleeping with Sirens, ONE OK ROCK, and Neck Deep (2015)
- ONE OK ROCK 2015 "35xxxv" North America, Europe, Asia Tour (2015-2016)
|2011||Jibun Rock (じぶんROCK)||Best Rock Video||Nominated|
|2012||Answer is Near (アンサイズニア)||Best Rock Video||Won|
|2013||The Beginning||Best Rock Video||Won|
|2013||The Beginning||Best Song From a Film||Won|
|2014||Be the light||Best Rock Video||Won|
|2015||Mighty Long Fall||Best Group Video||Nominated|
|2013||ONE OK ROCK||Best Japanese Act||Nominated|
|2014||ONE OK ROCK||Best Japanese Act||Nominated|
|2015||ONE OK ROCK||Best Japanese Act||Nominated|
|2013||The Beginning||Best Your Choice||Won|
- Allmusic by Alexey Eremenko
- "Interview with One Ok Rock in Tokyo". Retrieved 2008-12-14.
- Rockin'On Japan Magazine, June 2012 Edition: Interview with ONE OK ROCK
- "English Translations of Interview with ONE OK ROCK on Rockin'On Magazine June 2012". Retrieved 2009-11-22.
- "ONE OK ROCK member arrested for groping". TokyoGraph. Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- "One Ok Rock to return in summer, minus Alex". Retrieved 2009-11-22.
- "ONE OK ROCK THIS IS MY BUDOKAN?!". Retrieved 2014-10-12.
- "ONE OK ROCK Past Live Archives". Retrieved 2014-10-12.
- "ONE OK ROCK to Release Double-A-Side Single in July". Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- "Black Rock Shooter, Legend of Heroes, Class of Heroes Videos". 2012-06-09.
- Takahashi, Miho. "ONE OK ROCK Yokohama Arena Special Final". JaME World. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- "ONE OK ROCK Yokohama Arena Special Final". Retrieved 2014-10-12.
- "ONE OK ROCK 2012 "START WALKING THE WORLD TOUR"". Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- "Live Report: ONE OK ROCK, Summer Sonic 2011". Gekirock. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- "Live-Action Rurouni Kenshin's Theme Performed by ONE OK ROCK". 2012-05-29.
- "ONE OK ROCK's "Deeper Deeper" chosen as CM song for SUZUKI".
- "ONE OK ROCK 2012 "START WALKING THE WORLD TOUR"". Retrieved 16 October 2014.
- "FOOL COOL ROCK: Introduction".
- "ONE OK ROCK’s Documentary to be Released on DVD/Blu-ray Disc". Arama Japan. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- ""FOOL COOL ROCK! ONE OK ROCK DOCUMENTARY FILM" Gets a BR/DVD Release Date". Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- "Rock out at Paragon, fool!". Bangkok Post. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- "ONE OK ROCK sing the theme song to ‘Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno / The Legend Ends’". Retrieved 2014-10-15.
- "Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends Film's Main Trailer Unveiled". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2014-10-15.
- "ONE OK ROCK、6万人圧倒した浜スタ2DAYS". natalie. Retrieved 2014-10-15.
- "ONE OK ROCK to perform at KNOTFEST JAPAN 2014". 2014-10-15.
- "Daily Lineups Revealed For Slipknot’s US ‘Knotfest’". Retrieved 2014-10-15.
- "ONE OK ROCK to Tour South America and Europe". Retrieved 2014-10-15.
- "ONE OK ROCK - South American & European Tour Announced". 2014-08-12. Retrieved 2014-10-15.
- "MAN WITH A MISSION & ONE OK ROCK to guest in Hoobastank's Japan concerts". Tokyo Hive. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- "One Ok Rock will release a new album in February, 2015!". 9 October 2014. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "ONE OK ROCK、来年2月にニュー・アルバムをリリースすることが決定！！" (in Japanese). Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- "ONE OK ROCKのCD・DVDリリース情報、ONE OK ROCKのプロフィールならオリコン芸能人事典-ORICON STYLE" (in Japanese). Retrieved 2010-05-23.
- "Hot 100｜JAPAN Charts｜Billboard JAPAN" (in Japanese). Billboard.
- 有料音楽配信チャート (in Japanese). RIAJ.
- ""Dreaming Alone" - Against The Current feat. Taka from ONE OK ROCK (Official Music Video)".
- "Simple Plan - SUMMER PARADISE feat. TAKA from ONE OK ROCK".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to One Ok Rock.|
- Official website
- Official website (Japanese)
- Official YouTube
- Official Facebook
- Official Twitter
- Keep it real ~ English/German ONE OK ROCK Fansite (English) (German)