One Summer of Happiness
|One Summer of Happiness
Hon dansade en sommar
|Directed by||Arne Mattsson|
|Produced by||Lennart Landheim|
|Screenplay by||Volodja Semitjov
by Per Olof Ekström
|Music by||Sven Sköld|
|Edited by||Lennart Wallén|
|Distributed by||Nordisk Tonefilm|
One Summer of Happiness (Swedish: Hon dansade en sommar - She danced for a summer) is a 1951 Swedish film by director Arne Mattsson, based on the 1949 novel Sommardansen (The Summer Dance) by Per Olof Ekström. It was the first Swedish film to win the Golden Bear at the Berlin International Film Festival. It was also nominated for the Palme d'Or at the 1952 Cannes Film Festival. Today, the film is mainly known for its nude scenes, which caused much controversy at the time and, together with Ingmar Bergman's Summer with Monika (1953), spread the image of Swedish "free love" around the world.
The film tells the story about the university student Göran who spends a summer on his uncle's farm, where he meets the young Kerstin. They instantly fall in love, but Kerstin is ruled by very strict relatives, so they must hide their love story from everyone, not the least from the extremely strict vicar. They experience an intense summer together, and Göran dreads the idea of returning to university in the autumn. But a motorcycle accident puts an end to it all, with Kerstin dying in Göran's arms.
- Ulla Jacobsson as Kerstin
- Folke Sundquist as Göran
- Edvin Adolphson as Anders Persson
- Irma Christenson as Sigrid
- John Elfström as The Vicar
- Nils Hallberg as Nisse
- Gunvor Pontén as Sylvia
- Berta Hall as Anna
The film caused much international controversy, because of a nude swimming sequence and a love scene which included a close-up of Ulla Jacobsson's breasts, but also because of its very anti-clerical message by portraying a local priest as the main villain. So, in spite of its awards, the film was banned in several countries, among them Spain, and it wasn't released in the United States until 1955.
- The Swedish Film Database: Hon dansade en sommar (1951) - Kommentar Svensk filmografi (in Swedish) Linked 2014-03-01
- IMDb: One Summer of Happiness (1951) - Release info Linked 2014-03-01
- "2nd Berlin International Film Festival: Prize Winners". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2009-12-22.
- "Festival de Cannes: One Summer of Happiness". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-01-17.
- Hon dansade en sommar on IMDb
- Hon dansade en sommar at the Swedish Film Institute Database
- One Summer of Happiness is available for free download at the Internet Archive
|This article related to Swedish film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|