One True Vine
|One True Vine|
|Studio album by Mavis Staples|
|Released||June 25, 2013|
|Genre||Gospel, soul, blues|
|Mavis Staples chronology|
|Consequence of Sound|||
|The A.V. Club||A-|
One True Vine is the fourteenth studio album by Mavis Staples. It was released in June 2013 by ANTI- Records. It is her 13th studio album, and the second on which she collaborated with record producer and Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy. Tweedy also played most of the instruments on the album, with the exception of the drums, which were played by his son, Spencer Tweedy. The album was recorded at the Wilco Loft in Chicago, and while working on it, Staples commuted back and forth between the Loft (on Chicago's North Side) and her home on Chicago's South Side. One True Vine debuted at #67 on the Billboard 200 chart dated for July 13, 2013, marking the highest peaking entry for Staples on the chart so far.
|1.||"Holy Ghost"||Alan Sparhawk||2:42|
|2.||"Every Step"||Jeff Tweedy||4:02|
|3.||"Can You Get to That"||George Clinton, Ernie Harris||2:57|
|4.||"Jesus Wept"||Jeff Tweedy||4:47|
|5.||"Far Celestial Shore"||Nick Lowe||2:55|
|6.||"What Are They Doing In Heaven Today?"||Washington Phillips||4:03|
|7.||"Sow Good Seeds"||2:50|
|8.||"I Like the Things About Me"||Roebuck Staples, Martha Stubbs||3:57|
|9.||"Woke Up This Morning (With My Mind on Jesus)"||2:56|
|10.||"One True Vine"||Jeff Tweedy||3:42|
- Mavis Staples - lead vocals
- Jeff Tweedy - guitars; bass; horn arrangements on tracks 4 and 6; background vocals on track 3; percussion on tracks 8 and 9; Wurlitzer electric piano and piano on track 4; OP1 synthesizer on track 5; marxophone, Mellotron and organ on track 6; slide guitar on track 7
- Spencer Tweedy - drums on tracks 2-10; percussion on tracks 2, 5, 7, 8 and 9
- Mark Greenberg - Wurlitzer electric piano on track 1
- Scott Ligon - piano on track 10
- Rick Holmstrom - electric guitar on track 7
- Paul Von Mertens - clarinet on tracks 4 and 6; baritone saxophone and horn arrangements on track 6
- Andrew Baker - bass trumpet on tracks 4 and 6; euphonium on track 6
- Donny Gerrard - background vocals on tracks 1-9; percussion on tracks 4 and 8
- Kelly Hogan - background vocals on tracks 1-9
- Tiffany "Makeda" Francisco - background vocals on tracks 1-9
- Liam Cunningham - background vocals on track 8
- "One True Vine Reviews". Metacritic.com. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- Kellman, Andy. "One True Vine - Mavis Staples". Allmusic.com. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- Hadusek, Jon (Jun 24, 2013). "Album Review: Mavis Staples - One True Vine". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved Jun 24, 2013.
- Gill, Andy (2013-06-21). "Album Review: Mavis Staples - One True Vine". Independent.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- Lewis, Catherine (2013-06-25). "Mavis Staples: One True Vine". Avclub.com. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- Gleason, Holly (2013-06-25). "Mavis Staples: One True Vine". Pastemagazine.com. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- Jurgensen, John. "Mavis Staples' on Her New Album With Jeff Tweedy, 'One True Vine' - WSJ.com". Online.wsj.com. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "Mavis Staples - Chart history". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
|This Gospel music album-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|