One Way Street
|One Way Street|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Hugo Fregonese|
|Produced by||Leonard Goldstein|
|Screenplay by||Lawrence Kimble|
|Story by||Lawrence Kimble|
|Music by||Frank Skinner|
|Edited by||Milton Carruth|
Dr. Frank Matson, a physician, steals $200,000 from mob boss John Wheeler henchmen after a robbery Wheeler and henchman Ollie have pulled off. Forced to go on the run, Matson also takes Wheeler's girlfriend Laura Thorsen with him.
After hiding out in Mexico, word gets back to Matson that Wheeler knows where he is. He and Laura go back to Los Angeles planning to return the money, only to find Wheeler has been shot by Ollie. About to meet the same fate, Matson produces a gun and kills Ollie instead.
Laura is waiting for him at a cafe. As they leave, Matson turns to go phone the airline to get away with Laura, but is hit by a car coming down the one-way street.
- James Mason as Dr. Frank Matson
- Märta Torén as Laura Thorsen
- Dan Duryea as John Wheeler
- Basil Ruysdael as Father Moreno
- William Conrad as Ollie
- Rodolfo Acosta as Francisco Morales
- King Donovan as Grieder
Film critic Bosley Crowther dismissed the film as uninteresting, "Perhaps it is all the fault of the script, which has our hero vacillating between a life of crime and regeneration via a lady's love and an honest but unremunerative practice. What it all adds up to is a standard romantic melodrama illustrating the facts that crime obviously doesn't pay and that the scenery and people below the border are colorful ... Like its title, One Way Street is explicitly obvious and not especially exciting."
- One Way Street at the American Film Institute Catalog
- One Way Street at the Internet Movie Database
- One Way Street at AllMovie
- One Way Street at the TCM Movie Database
- One Way Street film trailer on YouTube