|Single by Kelly Osbourne|
|from the album Sleeping in the Nothing|
|Released||April 19, 2005|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Kelly Osbourne singles chronology|
"One Word" is the first and only single from Kelly Osbourne's second album Sleeping in the Nothing (2005). Unlike the pop/punk sound Osbourne sported in the past, "One Word" was a synthpop song that showed Osbourne embracing dance music. The single sounded very reminiscent of the 1980s Visage song "Fade to Grey", which caused some controversy over copyright issues, which was finally settled out of court when Osbourne's writing team agreed to give Visage a share of the royalties.
The song received a positive reaction from music fans and even some of Osbourne's harshest critics. On the track, Billboard said "she glides through the space-age number like she's the princess of the new wave dancefloor." Similarly, Malinda Lo said the track "eases you in with a spacey, synthesized intro" and "makes use of computer assistance in the best possible way". Brian Hiatt with Rolling Stone remarked, "Turns out her affectless vocals are better suited to...Eurythmics-biting synth-pop." While the single was not a hit on the US Hot 100, it was extremely successful in the US dance charts and was consistently played at nightclubs across the nation thanks in part to a remix by acclaimed DJ Chris Cox. In the UK, the original track reached number 9.
The music video to the song, directed by Chris Applebaum, is shot in black and white and is based on several themes and scenes from the 1965 French cult sci-fi movie Alphaville, une étrange aventure de Lemmy Caution (Alphaville: Strange Adventure of Lemmy Caution, mostly known simply as Alphaville) by Jean-Luc Godard.
|Australian Singles Chart||38|
|Canadian Singles Chart||17|
|Dutch Singles Chart||83|
|German Singles Chart||60|
|Irish Singles Chart||19|
|Portuguese Singles Chart||12|
|Spanish Singles Chart||9|
|Swedish Singles Chart||48|
|UK Singles Chart||9|
|US Billboard Hot Dance Airplay||1|
|US Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||1|
|US Billboard Hot Dance Singles Sales||1|
|US Billboard Pop 100||82|
- Caulfield, Keith; Paoletta, Michael (2005-03-26), "One Word". Billboard. 117 (13):29
- Lo, Malinda (June 2005), "Sleeping in the Nothing". Lesbian News. 30 (11):36
- Hiatt, Brian (2005-04-21), "Kelly Osbourne: 'One Word'". Rolling Stone. (972):119
- "(iTunes) One Word - EP". iTunes. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- "(Amazon) One Word - CD". Amazon.com. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- "(Amazon) One Word – Pt. 1". Amazon.com. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- "(Amazon) One Word – Pt. 2". Amazon.com. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- "australian-charts.com - Kelly Osbourne - One Word". Hung Medien. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- Dutch Music Chart
- "irishcharts.com - Discography Kelly Osbourne". Hung Medien. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- Swedish Music Chart
- "KELLY OSBOURNE | Artist | Official Charts". Official Charts Company. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- "Dance/Mix Show Airplay". Billboard. June 18, 2005. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- "Hot Dance Club Songs". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. June 18, 2005. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- "Dance Singles Sales : Jun 18, 2005". Billboard.biz. June 18, 2005. Retrieved February 11, 2015.