One in a Million (Ne-Yo song)
|"One in a Million"|
|Single by Ne-Yo|
|from the album Libra Scale|
|Released||September 14, 2010
(See release history)
Westlake Studios, Los Angeles, CA
|Writer(s)||Shaffer Smith, Chuck Harmony|
|Ne-Yo singles chronology|
"One in a Million" is third single from singer/songwriter Ne-Yo's fourth studio album Libra Scale. In the UK, the song was released as the second single from the album. The song was released on September 14, 2010. "One in a Million" was written by Ne-Yo and Chuck Harmony and produced by Harmony. It reached number 87 on the Billboard Hot 100. The melody is based on the chorus of Madonna's "You'll see" written and produced in 1995 by Madonna and David Foster.
Wayne Isham directed video for "One in a Million" premiered on September 3, 2010. The full-length nine-minute video is included on the deluxe editionDVD version of the Libra Scale album. In continuation a Scale story, Jerome (Ne-Yo) remembers back when he first met Pretti Sinclair (Galen Hooks).The video is influenced by Michael Jackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel", where he follows a woman who is uninterested and tries to win her over by following her down the street and showing off his dance moves. Ne-Yo, Clyde and Leroy were at a café, and as soon as Sinclair's friends saw the Gentlemen trio, they immediately joined their table, leaving Sinclair behind. Jerome then tries to draw his attention towards her by floating his drink, Sinclair then advises the waiter to take away the drink and give it to Jerome.He walked up to her, trying to make a conversation. Sinclair, however, thought that Jerome was simply an arrogant man who always tries to get what he wants, and didn't want to befriend him. Jerome then told Clyde and Leroy to get up and do "THE THANG", which was dancing to One in a Million to impress Sinclair. During the bridge, however, Sinclair got angry seeing Jerome dancing with other girls, and left. As the dance finished, Jerome ran off to find Sinclair. After having stopped a cab to get Sinclair, Jerome persuaded her into going out on a dinner date to prove her wrong. The video ends.
- "One in a Million" - 4:04
- Songwriting – Shaffer Smith, Chuck Harmony, K.E. on the Track
- Production – Chuck Harmony
- Recording – Mike "TrakGuru" Johnson & Jaymz Hardy-Martin III
- Mixing – Jaymz Hardy-Martin III
- Mixing assistant – Jerel Lake
- Vocals – Ne-Yo
"One in a Million" became Ne-Yo's eighth top 20 hit as a lead artist and his second consecutive top 20 hit from Libra Scale in the UK. The song entered and peaked at number 20 on the UK Singles Chart and number 4 on the UK R&B Singles Chart on 7 November 2010. It also debuted at number 97 on the Billboard Hot 100 and reached number 87 in its fifth week. The song is Gold in Italy.
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||20|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||18|
|Europe (European Hot 100 Singles)||62|
|Scotland (The Official Charts Company)||28|
|Russia (Airplay Chart)||8|
|Slovakia (Rádio Top 100)||54|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||52|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||20|
|UK R&B (Official Charts Company)||4|
|US Billboard Hot 100||87|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||17|
|US Rhythmic (Billboard)||28|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||400,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Ne-Yo - One In A Million - 4Music
- One in A Million (liner notes). Ne-Yo. Def Jam Recordings. 2010.
- New Video: Ne-Yo, ‘One In A Million’ » MTV
- on YouTube
- "Chartifacts - Week Commencing: 11th October 2010". Australian Recording Industry Association. October 11, 2010. Archived from the original on October 12, 2010. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- "Ultratop.be – Ne-Yo – One in a Million" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Ne-Yo – One in a Million" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Italiancharts.com – Ne-Yo – One in a Million". Top Digital Download.
- "ne-yo – Chart history" European Hot 100 for ne-yo. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- "Top 40 Scottish Singles Archive - 13th November 2010". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- "NE YO: One in a Million - TopHit.ru". TopHit.ru. Retrieved December 20, 2010.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201044 into search.
- "Swisscharts.com – Ne-Yo – One in a Million". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 2010-11-13" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- "Archive Chart: 2010-11-07" UK R&B Chart. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- "ne-yo – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for ne-yo. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- "ne-yo – Chart history" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for ne-yo. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- "ne-yo – Chart history" Billboard Rhythmic Songs for ne-yo. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- "Italian single certifications – Ne-Yo – So Sick" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Select Online in the field Sezione. Enter Ne-Yo in the field Filtra. Select 2011 in the field Anno. The certification will load automatically
- "British single certifications – Ne-Yo – So Sick". British Phonographic Industry. Enter So Sick in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Select Gold in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American single certifications – Ne-Yo – So Sick". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!". FMQB. Retrieved February 20, 2011.
- "iTunes Store". itunes.apple.com. Retrieved February 20, 2011.
- "Ne-Yo MP3 downloads music and videos at - 7digital". Ca.7digital.com. Retrieved February 20, 2011.
- "One In a Million - Single by Ne-Yo - Download One In a Million - Single on iTunes". itunes.apple.com. Retrieved February 20, 2011.