Uí Nialláin Thiar(Irish)
Location of Oneilland West, County Armagh, Northern Ireland.
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Oneilland West (from Irish: Uí Nialláin, the name of an ancient Gaelic district) is a barony in County Armagh, Northern Ireland. It is also called Clancann (Clann Chana), after the McCann clan. It lies in the north of the county on the south-western shore of Lough Neagh and the border of County Tyrone. Oneilland West is bordered by five other baronies: Armagh to the west; Dungannon Middle to the north-west; Oneilland East to the north-east; Orior Lower to the south-east; and Kinelarty to the south.
Oneilland West along with Oneilland East used to form the barony and Plantation of Ulster precinct of Oneilland. When it was split in two, Oneilland West consisted of the barony west of the River Bann, corresponding to the ancient Irish districts of Oneilland and Clancann.
List of settlements
Below is a list of settlements in Oneilland West:
Villages and population centres
List of civil parishes
- Armagh (split with barony of Armagh)
- Clonfeacle (also partly in baronies of Armagh, Dungannon Lower (one townland) and Dungannon Middle)
- Grange (split with barony of Armagh)
- Kildarton (split with barony of Fews Lower)
- Killyman (also partly in barony of Dungannon Middle)
- Kilmore (split with barony of Orior Lower)
- Loughgall (also partly in barony of Armagh)
- Mullaghbrack (split with barony of Fews Lower)
- Newry (two townlands, rest in baronies of Iveagh Upper, Lower Half, Lordship of Newry and Orior Upper)
- "Oneilland West". Placenames Database of Ireland. Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs. Retrieved 8 June 2011.
- Ireland's History in Maps - The Baronies of Ireland
- Ireland's History in Maps - Uí Nialláin
- PRONI Baronies of Northern Ireland
- PlaceNames NI: Oneilland West
- PRONI Civil Parishes of County Armagh
- Baronies and civil parishes of County Armagh
|This article related to the geography of County Armagh, Northern Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|