|Developer(s)||Ascensio System SIA|
9.6.2 / 17 July 2018
|Operating system||Windows XP and later, Linux, Mac OS|
|Available in||21 languages|
|Type||Office Suite, Project management, Collaboration, CRM, Document Management|
OnlyOffice (formerly TeamLab), stylized as ONLYOFFICE, is an open source office suite, developed by Ascensio System SIA, a company with headquarters in Riga, Latvia. Solution features online document editors, platform for document management, corporate communication, mail and project management tools.
OnlyOffice interface is available in 22 languages: Azeri (Latin), Chinese (Simplified), Czech, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovenian, Spanish, Turkish, Ukrainian and Vietnamese.
Projects module is developed for managing project stages: planning, team management and task delegation, monitoring and reporting. Module also includes Gantt Chart for illustrating the projects stages and dependencies between tasks.
CRM module allows maintaining client database, transactions and potential sales, tasks, client relationship history. This module also provides online billing and sales reports. CRM can be optionally integrated with Twilio VoIP service.
Mail module combines mail server for creating own-domain mailboxes and mail aggregator for centralized management of multiple mailboxes.
Calendar module allows planning and monitoring of personal and corporate events, task deadlines in Projects and CRM, sending and receiving invitations to events. Calendar can be integrated with third-party calendars that support iCal.
Community module offers corporate social network features: polls, corporate blog and forums, news, orders and announcements, messenger.
The solution is technologically based on three components: Document Server, Community Server and Mail Server.
Mail Server represents set of components that allows creating corporate mailbox using default or custom domain names. Mail Server is based on iRedMail package which consists of Postfix, Dovecot, SpamAssassin, ClamAV, OpenDKIM, Fail2ban.
OnlyOffice includes an online editing suite. It combines text, spreadsheet and presentation editors that include features similar to Microsoft desktop editors (Word, Excel and PowerPoint). Since version 5.0 of the editors the interface has been renewed with a tabbed toolbar. Editors allow co-editing, commenting and chatting in real time and provide such functions as Revision History and Mail Merge.
The beta version of OnlyOffice Online Editors predecessor, Teamlab Document Editor, was introduced at CeBIT 2012 in Hannover. The product was built using Canvas, a part of HTML5 that allows dynamic, scryptable rendering of 2D shapes and bitmap images.
The technology is known to preserve the initial formatting regardless of browser or operating system. According to company's blog, Canvas allows adding features previously available only in desktop apps to online version like support of sophisticated formatting, multi-page documents and bigger amount of fonts.
The basic type of formats used in OnlyOffice document editors is OOXML (DOCX, XLSX, PPTX). Other types of supported formats (ODT, DOC, RTF, EPUB, MHT, HTML, HTM, ODS, XLS, CSV, ODP, PPT) are processed with inner conversion to DOCX, XLSX or PPTX.
OnlyOffice Desktop is an offline version of OnlyOffice editing suite. Desktop application supports collaborative editing features when connected to the portal. Application is offered free of charge for both personal and commercial usage.
Desktop editors are a cross-platform solution available for Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP, Vista (x32 and x64), Debian, Ubuntu and other Linux distributions based on RPM, Mac OS 10.10 and newer. Besides platform-specific versions there is also a portable option.
Similarly to the online editing suite, the basic toolset of OnlyOffice Desktop can be upgraded using side plugins.
Desktop editors are distributed under AGPL v3 license for personal and commercial usage.
Nextcloud and ownCloud integration
In February 2017 OnlyOffice released the integration app for Nextcloud and ownCloud. It is possible to create and edit text documents, spreadsheets and presentations in OnlyOffice Editors within the interface of the platform. Through integration with one of these services ONLYOFFICE editors can be installed as a component for Univention Corporate Server.
The application runs under AGPL v3 open source license like other server and client solutions of OnlyOffice and is available on GitHub.
- In 2009, a group software developers, headed by Lev Bannov, launched a project called TeamLab, a platform for internal team collaboration that encompassed several social computing features (e.g. blog, forum, wiki, bookmarks).
- In March 2012, TeamLab introduced the first HTML5-based document editors at CeBit.
- In July, 2014, Teamlab Office was officially rebranded to OnlyOffice and the source code of the product was published on Sourceforge and Github on terms of AGPLv3.
- In March 2016, the developers of OnlyOffice released a desktop application - OnlyOffice Desktop Editors, which is positioned as an open source alternative to Microsoft Office.
- In February 2017, the app for integration with ownCloud/Nextcloud was launched.
The product has been reviewed by TechRadar, CMSWiRE, LiveEnterprise, Techi.com, Business Insider, TechRepublic, Unixmen, NoobsLAB, PCMag, Linux.com, Softpedia, FOSS Force
- Collaboration platform
- Collaboration software
- List of collaborative software
- Project management software
- List of project management software
- "Ascensio System OnlyOffice". PCMag.
- "Languages available at your portal - ONLYOFFICE". helpcenter.onlyoffice.com. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- "ONLYOFFICE with brand new interface | ONLYOFFICE Blog". www.onlyoffice.com. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- O'Hear, Steve. "TeamLab, A Canvas-Based Document Editor, Wants To Send Microsoft Office 365 Back To The Drawing Board | TechCrunch". Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- "How to edit your documents collaboratively on Linux - Xmodulo". Xmodulo. 2015-05-27. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- "W3C CEO calls HTML5 as transformative as early Web". IT World Canada. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- "TeamLab Introduces the First HTML-5 Document Editor at CeBIT 2012 | OnlyOffice Blog". www.onlyoffice.com. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- "OnlyOffice 9.0.0 Enables Users to Digitally Sign Documents with DocuSign | LinuxBabe". www.linuxbabe.com. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- "OnlyOffice: An Open Source Microsoft Office Contender Worth Your Time". MakeUseOf. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- "How to use plugins (add-ons) in ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editors". www.howtoforge.com. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- "How to Integrate OnlyOffice with ownCloud - LinuxBabe.Com". LinuxBabe.Com. 2017-02-14. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- "How to integrate ONLYOFFICE with Nextcloud". www.howtoforge.com. Retrieved 2017-06-22.
- "Univention Corporate Server / Blog: ONLYOFFICE joins the Univention family". sourceforge.net. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- "How to Connect ONLYOFFICE to SharePoint Server". ITzGeek -. 2017-10-12. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- onlyoffice-confluence: The plugin which enables the users to edit office documents from Confluence using ONLYOFFICE Document Server, allows multiple users to collaborate in real time and to save b.., ONLYOFFICE, 2017-06-14, retrieved 2017-06-21
- cetra3 (2016-12-01), onlyoffice-alfresco: Alfresco Onlyoffice Integration, retrieved 2017-06-21
- onlyoffice-owncloud: The app which enables the users to edit office documents from ownCloud/Nextcloud using ONLYOFFICE Document Server, allows multiple users to collaborate in real time and to sav.., ONLYOFFICE, 2017-06-21, retrieved 2017-06-21
- Aasmae, Kalev. "Microsoft Office, Google Docs beware: This open-source startup is after your users | ZDNet". ZDNet. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- "ONLYOFFICE – Continuous Growth, Successive New Features". Project-Management.com. 2015-08-31. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- "20 best web apps you've never heard of". Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- "Open Source Enterprise Collaboration Tool TeamLab Offers New Modules". Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- "TeamLab — free and open-source Basecamp alternative". Retrieved 2010-09-28.
- "Teamlab: Free Social Networking for Your Business". Retrieved 2011-02-08.
- "Office 365 Outage Shouldn't Affect You: 2 Productivity Suite Alternatives". Retrieved 2011-08-25.
- "DIY: Employ TeamLab as your company's collaboration tool". Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "How To Install ONLYOFFICE – An Online Collaboration Suite For SME". Unixmen.
- "OnlyOffice: Another Free Office Suite for Linux (Complete Selfhost Office Solution - OwnCloud Compatible)". NoobsLAB.
- "Get Desktop Access to Your OnlyOffice Account from Linux". Linux.com | The source for Linux information. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- "ONLYOFFICE Mac Word Processing". Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- "OnlyOffice: A FOSS Office Suite for the Cloud | FOSS Force". 2016-07-13. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- "TeamLab, A Canvas-Based Document Editor, Wants To Send Microsoft Office 365 Back To The Drawing Board". Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "Teamlab launches free alternative to Google Docs and MS Office". Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- "An Online Office Suite That's A Real Alternative To Microsoft Or Google". Retrieved 2014-01-21.