|Developer(s)||Ascensio System SIA|
7.4 / 13 June 2023
|Available in||25 languages|
|Type||Office Suite, Project management, Collaboration, CRM, Document Management|
OnlyOffice (formerly TeamLab), stylized as ONLYOFFICE, is a free software office suite and ecosystem of collaborative applications developed by Ascensio System SIA. The ultimate beneficiary of the company is "Onlyoffice Capital Group Pte. Ltd", a holding company from Singapore. A fork on Russian market is branded as P7-Office. It features online document editors, platform for document management, corporate communication, mail and project management tools.
OnlyOffice includes an online editing suite called OnlyOffice Docs. It combines text, spreadsheet, presentation and form editors that include features similar to Microsoft desktop editors (Word, Excel and PowerPoint). Since version 5.0, the editor's interface has featured a tabbed toolbar. Editors allow co-editing with two collaboration modes, real-time and paragraph-locking. Communication tools include commenting and chatting. The editors also provide revision history and change-tracking features.
The beta version of OnlyOffice Docs predecessor, Teamlab Document Editor, was introduced at CeBIT 2012 in Hannover. The product was built using Canvas, a part of HTML5 that allows dynamic, scriptable rendering of 2D shapes and bitmap images.
The basic formats used by OnlyOffice Docs are OOXML (DOCX, XLSX, PPTX) and DOCXF and OFORM, developed by OnlyOffice contributors. Other types of supported formats (ODT, DOC, RTF, EPUB, MHT, HTML, HTM, ODS, XLS, CSV, ODP, PPT, DOTX, XLTX, POTX, OTT, OTS, OTP, XML, XPS, DjVu and PDF-A) are processed with inner conversion to DOCX, XLSX or PPTX if editing is possible.
The suite's functionality can be extended using plugins (side applications). Users can choose from the existing list of plugins or create their own applications using the provided API. OnlyOffice Docs also supports integration via WOPI.
In 2022, along with the release of version 7.0 of OnlyOffice Docs, the project introduced OnlyOffice Forms, a new functionality of the document editor for creation and filling forms (document templates with fillable fields). It introduced two new formats, .OFORM and .DOCXF. The form editor also allows exporting templates as fillable PDFs.
OnlyOffice DocSpace is a cloud collaboration platform by OnlyOffice that combines online editors and a sharing environment based on rooms.
Rooms of different types can be created: collaboration room and custom room. In Collaboration rooms, users have access to all editing tools in the editors and can freely access any content. In Custom rooms, following roles can be granted: room manager, power user, viewer, editor, commenter, reviewer, and form filler, with corresponding level of access to the files in the room.
The OnlyOffice interface is divided into several modules: Documents, CRM, Projects, Mail, Community, Calendar and Talk. They are combined in a bundle called OnlyOffice Groups which, together with OnlyOffice Docs, is a part of OnlyOffice Workspace.
The Documents module is a document management and sharing system for OnlyOffice files. The integrated audio and video player allows playing media from files stored in OnlyOffice.[non-primary source needed]
The Projects module is developed for managing project stages: planning, team management and task delegation, monitoring and reporting. This module also includes Gantt charts for illustrating the projects stages and dependencies between tasks.
The CRM module allows maintaining client databases, transactions and potential sales, tasks, client relationship history. This module also provides online billing and sales reports.
The Mail module combines a mail server for creating own-domain mailboxes and mail aggregator for centralized management of multiple mailboxes.
The Calendar module allows planning and monitoring of personal and corporate events, task deadlines in Projects and CRM, sending and receiving invitations to events.
The Community module offers corporate social network features: polls, corporate blog and forums, news, orders and announcements, and a messenger.
It is technologically based on three components: Document Server, Community Server and Mail Server.
The Mail server represents set of components that allows creating corporate mailbox using default or custom domain names. Mail Server is based on the iRedMail package which consists of Postfix, Dovecot, SpamAssassin, ClamAV, OpenDKIM, Fail2ban.
Desktop and mobile apps
OnlyOffice Desktop is an offline version of OnlyOffice editing suite. The desktop application supports collaborative editing features when connected to the portal, Nextcloud, ownCloud, kDrive, Seafile, or Liferay. It is offered free of charge for both personal and commercial usage.
The desktop editors are cross-platform available for Windows XP or later (x86 and x64), Debian, Ubuntu and RPM-based Linux distributions, macOS 10.10 and newer, including computers built on Apple Silicon. Besides platform-specific versions there is also a portable option. OnlyOffice Desktop Editors are available for installation as Flatpak, snap and AppImage packages on Linux.
Editors are compatible with MS Office (OOXML) and OpenDocument (ODF) formats and support DOC, DOCX, ODT, RTF, TXT, PDF, HTML, EPUB, XPS, DjVu, XLS, XLSX, ODS, CSV, PPT, PPTX, ODP, DOTX, XLTX, POTX, OTT, OTS, OTP, and PDF-A.
Like the online editing suite, the basic toolset of OnlyOffice Desktop can be upgraded using plugins.
The desktop editors are distributed under the AGPL-3.0-only license for personal and commercial usage.
In early 2019, OnlyOffice announced the launch of a developer preview of end-to-end encryption of documents (files themselves, online editing and collaboration) that involves blockchain technology and is included in the functionality of the desktop suite. In 2020, the developers announced Private Rooms based on AES-256 algorithm and RSA asymmetric encryption.
OnlyofficeDesktop Editors is available by default in the following operating systems:
|Cutefish OS||Available in official store|
|Deepin||Available in official store|
|Linux Mint||Available in official store|
|Manjaro||Available in Pamac|
|Zorin OS||Available in official store|
- In 2009, a group of software developers, headed by Lev Bannov, launched a project called TeamLab, a platform for internal team collaboration that encompassed several social computing features (e.g. blog, forum, wiki, bookmarks).
- In March 2012, TeamLab introduced the first HTML5-based document editors at CeBIT.
- In July 2014, Teamlab Office was officially rebranded to OnlyOffice and the source code of the product was published on SourceForge and GitHub on terms of AGPL-3.0-only.
- In March 2016, the developers of OnlyOffice released a desktop application – OnlyOffice Desktop Editors, which is positioned as an open source alternative to Microsoft Office.
- In February 2017, the app for integration with ownCloud/Nextcloud was launched.
- In February 2018, OnlyOffice Desktop Editors became available as a snap package.
- In January 2019, OnlyOffice announced the release of end-to-end encryption functionality.
- In August 2019, Document Builder was published on GitHub under the AGPL-3.0-only licence.
- In November 2019, OnlyOffice entered the AWS Marketplace.
- In January 2020, OnlyOffice launched App Directory.
- In September 2020, OnlyOffice rebranded its product portfolio, introducing OnlyOffice Workspace, OnlyOffice Docs, and OnlyOffice Groups. It also released Groups (collaboration platform) under the Apache license.
- In October 2020, OnlyOffice announced compliance with HIPAA.
- In September 2021, OnlyOffice added support for the WOPI.
- In October 2021, OnlyOffice received the Cloud Computer Insider’s Gold award.
- In 2023, OnlyOffice opens new offices in Armenia (Customer Care), Singapore (Sales), and Uzbekistan (Development).
- In April 2023, OnlyOffice releases new solution OnlyOffice DocSpace.
- In August 2023, OnlyOffice changed its corporate structure and opened a holding company in Singapore.
OnlyOffice Docs integrations
OnlyOffice Docs can be integrated into other sharing platforms, CMS and LMS solutions.
|Connector||Developers of the available connectors||API / WOPI integration||Languages||License||Current version||Features|
|Formats for editing||Collaboration||JWT||Built-in mobile integration||Built-in desktop integration|
|Chamilo||Ascensio System SIA||+ / -||PHP||Apache 2.0||1.2.0||OOXML, DOCXF, OFORM|
|Liferay||Ascensio System SIA / SMC TREVISO S.R.L.||+ / -||Java||Apache 2.0||2.1.0||OOXML, DOCXF, OFORM|
|Nuxeo||Ascensio System SIA||+ / -||Java, HTML, FreeMarker||Apache 2.0||2.0.0||OOXML, DOCXF, OFORM|
|Plone||Ascensio System SIA||+ / -||Python, RobotFramework, CSS, Shell||Apache 2.0||2.1.1||OOXML, DOCXF, OFORM|
|SharePoint||Ascensio System SIA||+ / +||C#, ASP.NET, PowerShell, CSS, Gherken, Batchfile||GNU AGPL v3.0||2.1||OOXML|
|Agorum||Agorum® Software GmbH||+ / -||—||—||—||OOXML, ODF, DOCXF, OFORM, others||—|
|CommuniGate||CommuniGate Systems||+ / -||—||—||—||OOXML||—|
|Enaio||ECMind GmbH||+ / -||—||Proprietary||—||—||—|
|Jalios||Jalios||+ / -||—||Proprietary||1.3.1||DOC, XLS, PPT||—|
|Maarch Courrier||Maarch||+ / -||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|OpenOLAT||Frentix GmbH||+ / -||—||—||—||—||—|
|Pintexx Workplace||Pintexx GmbH||+ / -||—||Proprietary||—||—||—||—|
|PowerFolder||PowerFolder||+ / -||—||Proprietary||—||—||—||—|
|Pydio||Pydio||+ / -||—||Proprietary||—||OOXML, ODF, DOCXF, OFORM, others||—||Quasaro app support|
|Quasar||StieCon IT-Consulting GmbH||+ / -||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|Seafile||Seafile Ltd||+ / -||—||—||—||—|
|Talkspirit||Talkspirit||+ / -||—||—||—||—||—|
|WebWeaver||DigiOnline GmbH||+ / -||—||—||—||OOXML, ODF, DOCXF, OFORM, others||—|
|WeDoc||Jamespot||+ / -||—||Proprietary||—||—||—|
|FileCloud||CodeLathe Technologies Inc||- / +||—||Proprietary||—||OOXML||—|
|OpenKM||Open Document Management System S.L.||- / +||—||GPL v2||—||OOXML||—|
|Pipedrive||Ascensio System SIA||+ / -||Go, TypeScript||Apache 2.0||1.0||OOXML, ODF, DOCXF, OFORM, others|
- Comparison of office suites
- Collaboration platform
- Collaboration software
- List of collaborative software
- List of office suites
- Project management software
- List of project management software
- Ksenija (13 June 2023). "ONLYOFFICE Docs 7.4 released: drawing, radar charts, combining documents, upgraded ChatGPT plugin, and more". Retrieved 25 June 2023.
- "ASCENSIO SYSTEM LIMITED persons with significant control - Find and update company information - GOV.UK". Retrieved 28 August 2023.
- "Отечественный конкурент Google Workspace обновился". Retrieved 28 August 2023.
- "ONLYOFFICE with brand new interface | ONLYOFFICE Blog". www.onlyoffice.com. 25 September 2017. Archived from the original on 10 January 2018. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- O'Hear, Steve. "TeamLab, A Canvas-Based Document Editor, Wants To Send Microsoft Office 365 Back to the Drawing Board | TechCrunch". Archived from the original on 10 January 2018. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- "How to edit your documents collaboratively on Linux – Xmodulo". Xmodulo. 27 May 2015. Archived from the original on 30 June 2017. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- "W3C CEO calls HTML5 as transformative as early Web". IT World Canada. Archived from the original on 2 October 2018. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- "ONLYOFFICE connector | ownCloud marketplace". marketplace.owncloud.com. Archived from the original on 16 October 2020. Retrieved 15 October 2020.
- "ONLYOFFICE Docs 6.4 Released With Conditional Formatting And WOPI Support". Itsubuntu.com. Retrieved 4 August 2022.
- "OnlyOffice Adds Fillable Forms Compatible with Microsoft Office and Adobe". MUO. 1 March 2022. Retrieved 26 April 2022.
- Neeraj Paruthi (26 May 2023). "ONLYOFFICE DocSpace: The New and Better Way to Collaborate on Documents With Customers and Partners". MUO. Retrieved 23 June 2023.
- "ONLYOFFICE DocSpace: Make Document Collaboration Simpler- Complete Review". TechCommuters - Know Tech Well. 27 April 2023. Retrieved 23 June 2023.
- "ONLYOFFICE DocSpace: A Reliable and Secure Platform for Document Collaboration". 3 May 2023. Retrieved 23 June 2023.
- Ksenija (21 May 2019). "ONLYOFFICE 10.0 is available for server solutions | ONLYOFFICE Blog". Archived from the original on 12 July 2019. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "OnlyOffice: An Open Source Microsoft Office Contender Worth Your Time". MakeUseOf. Archived from the original on 19 June 2017. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- "How to use plugins (add-ons) in ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editors". howtoforge.com. Archived from the original on 16 November 2016. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- "ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editors for Christmas | ONLYOFFICE Blog". 21 December 2018. Archived from the original on 12 July 2019. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editors v7.0: moduli compilabili, nuova modalità di avvio, integrazione con kDrive e Liferay e molto altro". Aggregatore GNU/Linux e dintorni. 19 January 2022. Retrieved 26 April 2022.
- "How to Connect ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editors v.6.3 to Your Seafile Server". Linux Today. Retrieved 26 April 2022.
- Brett, Charles (29 April 2019). "ONLYOFFICE – document collaboration via blockchain and encryption -". Enterprise Times. Archived from the original on 12 July 2019. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "ONLYOFFICE Private Rooms: the ultimate security of document collaboration". 16 October 2020. Retrieved 27 February 2023.
- Aasmae, Kalev. "Microsoft Office, Google Docs beware: This open-source startup is after your users". ZDNet. Archived from the original on 2 July 2017. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- "ONLYOFFICE – Continuous Growth, Successive New Features". Project Management. 31 August 2015. Archived from the original on 31 August 2017. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- "How to Integrate OnlyOffice with ownCloud". LinuxBabe.Com. 14 February 2017. Archived from the original on 1 December 2017. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- "OnlyOffice Desktop Editors Available to Install in Ubuntu as Snap | UbuntuHandbook". ubuntuhandbook.org. Archived from the original on 12 July 2019. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "Onlyoffice DocBuilder is available on GitHub". Blog. Onlyoffice. 15 August 2019. Archived from the original on 20 January 2021. Retrieved 25 May 2021.
- "Onlyoffice on AWS Marketplace". Blog. Onlyoffice. 5 November 2019. Archived from the original on 7 December 2020. Retrieved 25 May 2021.
- "Onlyoffice launches App Directory". Blog. Onlyoffice. 14 January 2020. Archived from the original on 25 May 2021. Retrieved 25 May 2021.
- "ONLYOFFICE reorganized product portfolio: Docs, Groups and Workspace". Blog. Onlyoffice. 15 October 2020. Archived from the original on 4 March 2021. Retrieved 25 May 2021.
- "How Onlyoffice complies with HIPAA". Blog. Onlyoffice. 15 October 2020. Archived from the original on 15 May 2021. Retrieved 25 May 2021.
- "ONLYOFFICE Docs 6.4 Released With Conditional Formatting And WOPI Support". Itsubuntu.com. Retrieved 26 April 2022.
- "ONLYOFFICE Expands Online presence in China, Announces New Partnership Program". The Arabian Post. 10 December 2021. Retrieved 26 April 2021.
- "Ascensio System Opens a branch in Singapore, bringing ONLYOFFICE to APAC - Laotian Times". 10 August 2022. Retrieved 27 February 2023.
- "Singapore Business Directory". Retrieved 28 August 2023.
Media related to Onlyoffice at Wikimedia Commons